What are people even doing when they study for hours?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Triangles

What are people even doing when they study for hours?

Postby Triangles » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm a 1L, and I'm starting to get freaked out about how much more time people are spending studying compared to me. I do the assigned reading, and then read the related part of a supplement, but then my roommates and friends are still in the library for hours after I have finished. One girl told me it took her an hour to go through one two page long case. Am I missing something? Are they just rereading the same material over and over again? I'm honestly at a loss as to what they are doing, but when I try to ask they get upset.

dakatz

Re: What are people even doing when they study for hours?

Postby dakatz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Triangles wrote:I'm a 1L, and I'm starting to get freaked out about how much more time people are spending studying compared to me. I do the assigned reading, and then read the related part of a supplement, but then my roommates and friends are still in the library for hours after I have finished. One girl told me it took her an hour to go through one two page long case. Am I missing something? Are they just rereading the same material over and over again? I'm honestly at a loss as to what they are doing, but when I try to ask they get upset.

I usually do about a case an hour. I read through it slowly and meticulously in order to get the reasoning down. I sit and think about it for a bit, and compare/contrast it to other cases so I'm able to distinguish and identify the principles, and how the rules have shifted over time. If I do it too quickly, it just becomes a point of data in my brain. But if I really put time and thought into it, the case becomes part of a web that links everything else together. At least for me, this is why it takes me so long to do everything.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Triangles wrote:I'm a 1L, and I'm starting to get freaked out about how much more time people are spending studying compared to me. I do the assigned reading, and then read the related part of a supplement, but then my roommates and friends are still in the library for hours after I have finished. One girl told me it took her an hour to go through one two page long case. Am I missing something? Are they just rereading the same material over and over again? I'm honestly at a loss as to what they are doing, but when I try to ask they get upset.

I spent significantly less time on reading than some of my classmates. And I did fine. But I also was focused like a laser during class on getting every single connection the professors were trying to get us to see (and I took very good notes). Whereas a lot of people were playing games on their computers, etc. I guess those people were "getting the connections" outside of class on their own. That's what takes them longer when they read. My way (I think) was more efficient.

But I'm sure I could've done a little bit better with more time outside of class. For me, that marginal "little bit" just wasn't worth giving up other things. Not to mention I didn't burn out (or go insane :) ).

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:10 pm

dakatz wrote:

I usually do about a case an hour. I read through it slowly and meticulously in order to get the reasoning down. I sit and think about it for a bit, and compare/contrast it to other cases so I'm able to distinguish and identify the principles, and how the rules have shifted over time. If I do it too quickly, it just becomes a point of data in my brain. But if I really put time and thought into it, the case becomes part of a web that links everything else together. At least for me, this is why it takes me so long to do everything.

+1

it may not be the popular thing to do, but I usually read every case 2 times. First time I read it is a pretty quick read, like im reading a book, just so i can get a big picture of whats going on, where it started, and where it ended

the 2nd time I read it through I usually take each paragraph and make the connection in my head in how the judge got from whatever fact they are discussion, to whatever conclusion they reached. The specific facts don't matter in the long run, as you won't be tested on the facts of cases, but I've found that it really helps me develop a concept of how the legal system connects facts to laws. I usually make quick one sentence recaps next to each paragraph in the book as sort of a step by step process on how they took the facts and created a rule. The little sentence recaps usually don't even involve the specifics of the case, more like "foreign entity's only contact in state was being hired by in-forum state corporation", that one sentence might recap a whole page worth of a judge's rambling in an opinion, really it's all I need to take from it exam wise

then when I do my case briefs, i'll just use lexis to copy and paste the basics of the case in the chance I get called on I can recall it real quick, and then in the rule part of my brief i'll do a quick recap of my little notes of the book for use in my "large" outline, which will in the long run be condensed

so ya, reading one case, and doing the whole breakdown, including the part that will go into my outline as a rule, usually takes about an hour a case, if it's torts its WAY less, if it's civ pro its usually more, depends on the case

other study time is usually spent transferring notes and other stuff into my on-going outline

I just ordered E&E for civpro since that class gives me a headache, contemplating getting understanding crim law by dressler too, once I get those i'm sure that will eat up study time. Also want to start slowly doing CALI lessons on old material to keep my mind fresh

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:00 pm

I have found going over a case 100 times to be a waste of time. I read it a couple times and brief because writing it down helps me remember but thats it. I spend my prep time going over my and other people's outlines, flashcards, working through hypos. I also, don't read that far ahead because if you read too far ahead you have to basically re-read the assignment to review before class (at least I do). I am a 1L and have a 4.0 as of today so you can bank on my advice

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Doritos wrote:I have found going over a case 100 times to be a waste of time. I read it a couple times and brief because writing it down helps me remember but thats it. I spend my prep time going over my and other people's outlines, flashcards, working through hypos. I also, don't read that far ahead because if you read too far ahead you have to basically re-read the assignment to review before class (at least I do). I am a 1L and have a 4.0 as of today so you can bank on my advice

what kinda stuff do you do with flash cards in relation to civ pro/crim law?

I'm gonna start making flash cards for Contracts (UCC/Restatement rules) and Torts (tort/defense break downs), but I can't figure out what exactly to put on crim law/civ pro flash cards, everything seems so complex, I cant figure out what small bits and pieces to break up in to flash cards

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:12 pm

uwb09 wrote:
Doritos wrote:I have found going over a case 100 times to be a waste of time. I read it a couple times and brief because writing it down helps me remember but thats it. I spend my prep time going over my and other people's outlines, flashcards, working through hypos. I also, don't read that far ahead because if you read too far ahead you have to basically re-read the assignment to review before class (at least I do). I am a 1L and have a 4.0 as of today so you can bank on my advice

what kinda stuff do you do with flash cards in relation to civ pro/crim law?

I'm gonna start making flash cards for Contracts (UCC/Restatement rules) and Torts (tort/defense break downs), but I can't figure out what exactly to put on crim law/civ pro flash cards

I actually have this flashcard set from emanuels. It basically has a bunch of hypos for different stuff. Also asks things like what are the elements of negligence, what is diversity jurisdiction, etc. I like them for the hypos. I find doing hypos helps because applying law to fact patterns elucidates the weak spots in your understanding. If I made my own flashcards I would say put things like what are the elements of a battery, what is the procedure for removal, etc. Open ended questions that make you recall rules.

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:51 pm

I agree with the original poster, I'm not sure what everyone else is doing until midnight at the library. I put a lot of hours in too, but certainly not on reading and re-reading the casebook.

My system, so far has been:

Quickly read all the cases and find/read briefs for the upcoming week on the weekend.

During the week, I read the corresponding sections of the E & E's twice, and do the questions once.

On Friday I add notes from class, and notes from the E & E's, to outlines given to me from prior students that did well and had my profs.

After I finish updating my outline, I review it by reading it and handwriting out topics that I have not grasped fully.

Rinse, wash, and repeat.

I figure I'll start doing some hypos once October comes around, and start doing some practice tests come November.

This system seems to work well for me, so I don't really care what anyone else is doing.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:11 am

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:20 am

Some people make remarkably detailed briefs, some people read the case more than once, some people are just naturally slow readers. There could be any number of reasons it takes them more time than you. It's easy to get caught up in what other people are doing to study, and compare it to your own study habits or methods, but at the end of the day you have to do whatever works best for you.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:44 am

wow, this thread made me feel like such a slacker. I just cracked an e&e the other day fro civ pro....

all i do is read the cases, sometimes twice, make some briefs and hilight / take notes

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 am

Some people just take longer to digest concepts.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:00 am

Doritos wrote:I am a 1L and have a 4.0 as of today so you can bank on my advice

That's a 4.0 on how many law school credits?

frost

Postby frost » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:10 pm

I'm a 2L, fwiw. You shouldn't be worried about not spending enough time reading a case or not reading a case enough times, if you understand the case and what goes on in class. As for me personally, I've been a pretty fast reader since the beginning but I spend a lot of time typing up my notes, incorporating case facts (sort of like a pre-outlining process) and re-digesting information from class. Also, last year I followed xeoh's advice and front-loaded a lot of my classes, especially since LRW was graded and a significant chunk of credits. So that's where the bulk of my hours went this early on in the semester.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:34 pm

LjakW wrote:
Doritos wrote:I am a 1L and have a 4.0 as of today so you can bank on my advice

That's a 4.0 on how many law school credits?

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 am

Don't worry so much. Half of them have no idea how they should be studying. The other half are on facebook.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:13 am

nealric wrote:The other half 90% are on facebook.

Fixed, and credited.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 am

"Studying" in library right now.

But for reals, I read the case and book brief a couple days before class. Then the day of or the day before class I re-read (more like scan the highlights) and write anything that I think is relevant on my notes for that day.

Ideally.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:22 am

Man, you remember the story of the tortoise and the hare right??? Look all these foolish hares burning themselves out. The only logical and responsible thing to do right now is to not study, We got this.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:28 pm

nealric wrote:Don't worry so much. Half of them have no idea how they should be studying. The other half are on facebook.

when and how do we know what to study?

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Great post OP, because frankly I've felt the same way for the past couple weeks. I've stopped reading days in advance and simply do the required reading in the hours before I go to class ( I attend evenings) so that it can be fresh in my head.
I have however decided to try an adhere to the 3 hours of studying for every hour in class rule, and I've decided the best way to do this is basically putting in an hour of studying/review/O.L. prep for each class every day on top of the required readings. That will generally amount to 4 or 5 hours of study 4 days a week, and 1 hour a day for the remaining.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbKKjGZKtA

Skip to 1:57 --that is exactly what they are doing.

thuggishruggishbone

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:39 pm

They're probably working on outlines or maybe their memos for legal research and writing class.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:04 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbKKjGZKtA

Skip to 1:57 --that is exactly what they are doing.

NSFW. But I lol'd.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 pm

In my Torts II class I didn't read a single case, didn't do any hypo's during the semester, went through his old exams the last two weeks and memorized his outline, and got a A. :lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”