In which we complain about HelLRW

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Re: In which we complain about HelLRW

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 pm

JazzOne wrote:
kalvano wrote:Upon further work, this is really fucking ridiculous. We are supposed to use as many cases as possible in these things, with full explanations of each case, yet we have two big issues to analyze and are only allowed 8 pages. The first issue alone needs 6 pages to be dealt with properly, as it has at least a dozen cases that could be used.

Use string cites and "citing" citations as often as possible. Also, you can explain multiple cases in one paragraph if the facts are similar or if the holdings are similar. Just some ideas on how to cut out the extra verbiage.

Well, that's helpful, but when the 8 pages also includes the issue statement, brief answer, and facts, it can only go so far.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
kalvano wrote:Upon further work, this is really fucking ridiculous. We are supposed to use as many cases as possible in these things, with full explanations of each case, yet we have two big issues to analyze and are only allowed 8 pages. The first issue alone needs 6 pages to be dealt with properly, as it has at least a dozen cases that could be used.

Use string cites and "citing" citations as often as possible. Also, you can explain multiple cases in one paragraph if the facts are similar or if the holdings are similar. Just some ideas on how to cut out the extra verbiage.

Well, that's helpful, but when the 8 pages also includes the issue statement, brief answer, and facts, it can only go so far.

Yeah, that is a bit extreme. We had a two-issue paper last year with a 16-page limit.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Oh well, I've already resigned myself to a B.

Also, Texas citation rules do not help. I have several cites that are a full line for each one.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Dear Legal Writing Open Memo -

What now, you bitch!?! I beat you!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:48 pm

HONOR CODE VIOLATIONS ALL UP IN THIS BITCH

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:48 pm

I was pleasantly surprised with my LRW performance, but I'm starting to get the feeling that the grade average in our LRW program is just high across the board, and that everyone has this "pleasantly surprised" feeling and that I've barely beaten out anyone.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:58 pm

kalvano wrote:Dear Legal Writing Open Memo -

Nice.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:HONOR CODE VIOLATIONS ALL UP IN THIS BITCH

the fuck are you talking about

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 pm

IAFG wrote:

RELAX BRO

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm

beach_terror wrote:
IAFG wrote:

RELAX BRO

I second IAFG...wtf are you talking about?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Thirteen wrote:
kalvano wrote:Dear Legal Writing Open Memo -

Nice.

Two more words and it goes into a 9th page. Or one long one.

Take that, whore.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:25 pm

bostonian wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
IAFG wrote:

RELAX BRO

I second IAFG...wtf are you talking about?

I've been in the library all day, my mental capacity is deteriorating. Actually, some of what you guys say in here would be an honor violation at my school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:I've been in the library all day, my mental capacity is deteriorating. Actually, some of what you guys say in here would be an honor violation at my school.

we're allowed to do anything short of reading each others' drafts, including sharing cases on our open memo.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Damn. My school said it was totally fine for us to talk about the memo, our research, our analysis, etc. As long as we didn't write it together, it was fine to at least discuss it to understand the overall picture.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:29 pm

IAFG wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I've been in the library all day, my mental capacity is deteriorating. Actually, some of what you guys say in here would be an honor violation at my school.

we're allowed to do anything short of reading each others' drafts, including sharing cases on our open memo.

Lucky bastards, we're not even supposed to complain to each other about it. "Any" discussion is subject to punishment.

I would have loved to be able to share cases with some people.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm

We aren't supposed to receive any outside help at all from anyone. I think they said not to talk about it all, but everyone does.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 pm

kalvano wrote:We aren't supposed to receive any outside help at all from anyone. I think they said not to talk about it all, but everyone does.

Some people got "caught" talking about it by a professor and they sent out a threatening email to everyone. I'm sure people still talk about it, but I'm not trying to fuck around with that shit, just not worth it.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I think I'm getting absolute OCD about this open memo. I'll admit that I probably deserved the median grade on my closed memo because I went all undergrad with it and thought that "write it once, go to professor's meeting about the draft, and make changes the day before it is due = profit" would work. But for this Closed Memo, I have been pretty much making dedicated efforts to drafting it for the past week, which is something I have never, ever done for any kind of writing assignment in my life (my prior limit was re-writing it once, here, I've been doing concentrated efforts like 4 or so times). I'm feeling that it must be "perfect" but it still seems like such an absolute crap-shoot.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Melkaba wrote:I think I'm getting absolute OCD about this open memo. I'll admit that I probably deserved the median grade on my closed memo because I went all undergrad with it and thought that "write it once, go to professor's meeting about the draft, and make changes the day before it is due = profit" would work. But for this Closed Memo, I have been pretty much making dedicated efforts to drafting it for the past week, which is something I have never, ever done for any kind of writing assignment in my life (my prior limit was re-writing it once, here, I've been doing concentrated efforts like 4 or so times). I'm feeling that it must be "perfect" but it still seems like such an absolute crap-shoot.

And you'll still get a B.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:20 pm

kalvano wrote:And you'll still get a B.

Even if you're right, don't jinx it.

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Melkaba wrote:I think I'm getting absolute OCD about this open memo. I'll admit that I probably deserved the median grade on my closed memo because I went all undergrad with it and thought that "write it once, go to professor's meeting about the draft, and make changes the day before it is due = profit" would work. But for this Closed Memo, I have been pretty much making dedicated efforts to drafting it for the past week, which is something I have never, ever done for any kind of writing assignment in my life (my prior limit was re-writing it once, here, I've been doing concentrated efforts like 4 or so times). I'm feeling that it must be "perfect" but it still seems like such an absolute crap-shoot.

+1

kalvano wrote: And you'll still get a B.

I lived in her office...If I get a B, I'll B[e] waiting in her office in January and we can discuss her advice. :x

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 pm

So are there any law-related jobs that don't require writing? If not I should just drop out now.

Yeah I know I should have thought about this before.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:14 pm

bostonian wrote:So are there any law-related jobs that don't require writing? If not I should just drop out now.

<3 corporate work, here I come

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
bostonian wrote:So are there any law-related jobs that don't require writing? If not I should just drop out now.

<3 corporate work, here I come

Seriously, if this is even remotely related to what practicing law is actually like, I think I'd rather live in a cardboard box down in Englewood.

Allitigator

Postby Allitigator » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 am

LRW is alright, but my professor sucks. I swear, she is a boozer or uses medication of some kind.

I hate her!

Do not like!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”