In which we complain about HelLRW Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jack duluoz

Bronze

Re: In which we complain about HelLRW

Post by jack duluoz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:37 pm

open memo...done and done. :D :lol:

all we have left is an ungraded/for fun negotiation session with kids from another section that wrote their memo for the other party. Also, LRW classes are over for the rest of the semester.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 pm

First draft of final memo goes in tomorrow. Editing it for the final submission will be easy compared to writing it for the first time. Can't wait to get this over with and actually get to real studying.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:38 am

When you guys draft your case statements using the integrated format, do you just have one big paragraph explaining relevant cases and then just use the cases for your analysis further in, or do you break out each case into it's own paragraph?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 am

Glad LWR is over. I need the extra time for the substantive classes.

Though I do wish it were GPA relevant. Second memo was worth nearly half our grade, and I got the highest grade in my section on that one. Feel good about the last memo.

I think I'm in the wrong thread. I actually like legal writing and research. :oops:

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:54 am

Awful confession time: I really liked LRW. It was time-consuming, but interesting and (at times) even enjoyable.

It's over now, and time to study for the 4 substantive finals I take in 3 weeks, but I'll sort of miss it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Fucking multi-issue memos with an 8 page limit. Fuck you. Fuck you very much.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:41 pm

kalvano wrote:Fucking multi-issue memos with an 8 page limit. Fuck you. Fuck you very much.
Try multiple issues and analyzing them under both US and UK courts in 10 pages.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:04 pm

OGR3 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Fucking multi-issue memos with an 8 page limit. Fuck you. Fuck you very much.
Try multiple issues and analyzing them under both US and UK courts in 10 pages.

No, I won't.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:07 pm

i have more space but hate my life comparably anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 am

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:45 am

Yikes.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:56 am

8 page limits? That's tough. Ours is unlimited, so you have to guess what everyone else is doing.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:08 am

Writing Fellow (3L) crossed out the word "Was" in one of my drafts and replaced it with the word "is"

Professor returned my graded copy with the word "Is" crossed out, and replaced with the word "was"

FML.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:43 am

I've never had a problem with maximum page limits. My problem is usually writing enough to meet whatever minimum there is. Although I'm looking at a C+ in that class because I suck at writing and am much more of a math person.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:48 am

bostonian wrote:
I've never had a problem with maximum page limits. My problem is usually writing enough to meet whatever minimum there is. Although I'm looking at a C+ in that class because I suck at writing and am much more of a math person.
Man, can you transfer to Fordham and get into my class. Were on a force curve, 18 kids in the class and I think 2 or 3 of em worked for the WSJ or NY times or some shit. Also there are some major kiss asses in my class and I think they get a boost (I have nothing to substantiate my claim, just a hunch ya know). Thats why im all for anonymous grading on lrw assignments.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:50 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
bostonian wrote:
Man, can you transfer to Fordham and get into my class. Were on a force curve, 18 kids in the class and I think 2 or 3 of em worked for the WSJ or NY times or some shit. Also there are some major kiss asses in my class and I think they get a boost (I have nothing to substantiate my claim, just a hunch ya know). Thats why im all for anonymous grading on lrw assignments.
I wish it were curved here. I really like the people in my section and would be happy to have my shitty writing benefit them. Ours are anonymously graded at least, though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:24 am

bostonian wrote:

The way my professor wants memos done, just the first issue alone should be about 6 pages.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:30 am

I feel like I've learned a lot from LRW, but the memo we have is absurd. Our 3L LRW TA's all said they struggled writing the model answers for it. Awesome.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Cupidity wrote:Writing Fellow (3L) crossed out the word "Was" in one of my drafts and replaced it with the word "is"

Professor returned my graded copy with the word "Is" crossed out, and replaced with the word "was"

FML.
Sounds very much like my class. Another reason why this class cannot be graded.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:38 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Writing Fellow (3L) crossed out the word "Was" in one of my drafts and replaced it with the word "is"

FML.
Mine is graded.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Cupidity wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

FML.
Mine is graded.
Same here. Pretty much everyone complains about it, but the school doesn't seem to want to do the right thing and make it pass/fail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Turned mine in. Que serra serra.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Cupidity wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

FML.
Mine is graded.
Cannot should be read as an emphatic "should not". Mine was too.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Upon further work, this is really fucking ridiculous. We are supposed to use as many cases as possible in these things, with full explanations of each case, yet we have two big issues to analyze and are only allowed 8 pages. The first issue alone needs 6 pages to be dealt with properly, as it has at least a dozen cases that could be used.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Upon further work, this is really fucking ridiculous. We are supposed to use as many cases as possible in these things, with full explanations of each case, yet we have two big issues to analyze and are only allowed 8 pages. The first issue alone needs 6 pages to be dealt with properly, as it has at least a dozen cases that could be used.
Use string cites and "citing" citations as often as possible. Also, you can explain multiple cases in one paragraph if the facts are similar or if the holdings are similar. Just some ideas on how to cut out the extra verbiage.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”