Question on Memos for 1st Year Law Student

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Elizabeth999

Question on Memos for 1st Year Law Student

Postby Elizabeth999 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:03 am

Does anyone have a formula for writing a good memo? Specifically in the discussion section....how to integrate IRAC with the cases? I am having trouble organizing my memo propery.

Do you have a resource that has been helpful to you on this topic?

timshel

Re: Question on Memos for 1st Year Law Student

Postby timshel » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:29 am

A Lawyer Writes - a practical guide to legal analysis. by coughlin, malmud and patrick. This is the text my class is using; it's straightforward and helpful

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 am

Elizabeth999 wrote:Does anyone have a formula for writing a good memo? Specifically in the discussion section....how to integrate IRAC with the cases? I am having trouble organizing my memo propery.

Issue: Where should a thread discussing the coursework of a first-year law student be posted?

Rule: Threads should be posted in a forum focused on issues related to the topic discussed in the thread. For example, when a thread titled "Help on Dino Game" was posted in the Legal Employment forum, the moderators found that this thread had been improperly posted, reasoning that a thread discussing the LSAT was not related to legal employment, but was rather more appropriately placed in the LSAT preparation forum.

Application: Here, this thread is about the coursework of a first-year law student. It has been posted, however, not in the forum for law students, but in the law school admissions forum. Like the Dino Game thread, 123 F.2d 466 (9th Cir. 2010), which was posted in a forum unrelated to the thread's content, this thread has been posted in a forum which discusses topics completely unrelated to the subject matter of this thread. Accordingly, just as happened in the the Dino Game thread, see id., the moderators will likely find that this thread has not been posted in the appropriate forum, and lock it or move it to the appropriate forum.

Conclusion: You are doing it wrong. Because this thread is about law students, it belongs in the forum for law students. It is not about law school applications, and therefore does not belong it that forum.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Elizabeth999 wrote:Does anyone have a formula for writing a good memo? Specifically in the discussion section....how to integrate IRAC with the cases? I am having trouble organizing my memo propery.

Issue: Where should a thread discussing the coursework of a first-year law student be posted?

Rule: Threads should be posted in a forum focused on issues related to the topic discussed in the thread. For example, when a thread titled "Help on Dino Game" was posted in the Legal Employment forum, the moderators found that this thread had been improperly posted, reasoning that a thread discussing the LSAT was not related to legal employment, but was rather more appropriately placed in the LSAT preparation forum.

Application: Here, this thread is about the coursework of a first-year law student. It has been posted, however, not in the forum for law students, but in the law school admissions forum. Like the Dino Game thread, 123 F.2d 466 (9th Cir. 2010), which was posted in a forum unrelated to the thread's content, this thread has been posted in a forum which discusses topics completely unrelated to the subject matter of this thread. Accordingly, just as happened in the the Dino Game thread, see id., the moderators will likely find that this thread has not been posted in the appropriate forum, and lock it or move it to the appropriate forum.

Conclusion: You are doing it wrong. Because this thread is about law students, it belongs in the forum for law students. It is not about law school applications, and therefore does not belong it that forum.

Fucking sick.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:39 pm

IRAC and the specific methodologies of legal writing are important, but not nearly as important as writing generally clear, concise and readable prose. If you want a leg up on your classmates, concentrate on IRAC, yes, but also just concentrate on writing better. Many general guides will help with this.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:

Brilliant. Damn funny and actually answered the question really well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”