. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
superberry

New

Post by superberry » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:25 am

Haha got it.

Edit: This post was in jest. And it wasn't even my phone, just happened to a girl I know and was curious as to the ramifications.

Thanks
Last edited by superberry on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TTH

Diamond

Re: Real life Hypo

Post by TTH » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 am

superberry wrote:Hey guys,

As a ridiculously unaware 1L, I have a stupid real-life hypo for anyone who could shed some light on the matter..

A classmate of mine knocked my blackberry out of my hand at the bar tonight. It smashed onto the ground and the screen was cracked. I realize that she did not intend to cause this sort of damage but I would like to know what sort of recourse, if any, I may have against her. I am out about $500 due to her ridiculously huge physical gestures, which I realize I may just have to eat. Just wanted some insight.

Thanks for any thoughts.
QFAskingForLegalAdvice

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 am

Ask your torts professor.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:06 am

As a ridiculously unaware 1L, I have a stupid real-life hypo for anyone who could shed some light on the matter..

A classmate of mine knocked my blackberry out of my hand at the bar tonight. It smashed onto the ground and the screen was cracked. I realize that she did not intend to cause this sort of damage but I would like to know what sort of recourse, if any, I may have against her. I am out about $500 due to her ridiculously huge physical gestures, which I realize I may just have to eat. Just wanted some insight.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Just get it repair it. I replaced one of those screens the first time in 10 mins while watching a youtube video. While 500 would be absurd in her eyes, splitting the bill with her wouldn't be... you know, since it was in your hand.

Assuming you have the 9700, which is the "latest and greatest" (And don't dare tell me that it's not the model and you're referencing the price when bought 2 years ago), the screen comes out to about 120 bucks at pdasmart.
http://www.pdasmart.com/blackberry-9700 ... -parts.htm

Shit, I should start charging for this advice.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:16 am

Is she hot? Take it out in trade.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:30 am

Here's a recent thread that is surprisingly similar to this one (check out vanwinkle's advice- it will really help you out!)

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=129344

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:34 am

What kind of advice to you want here?

Can you take her to small claims court? Yes.

Will you win? Possibly.

Are you almost certainly comparitively negligent? Yes.

Will you look like a complete fucking asshole for the rest of school when it is learned by your fellow classmates that you sued someone in class for knocking your phone out of your hand? Yes.

This is silly. Get the phone fixed and eat the cost. And in the future, learn how to hold onto your phone.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 am

reasonable_man wrote:Will you look like a complete fucking asshole for the rest of school when it is learned by your fellow classmates that you sued someone in class for knocking your phone out of your hand? Yes.
TTH, A.J. Concurring

omnomnom

New

Post by omnomnom » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm

reasonable_man wrote: Will you look like a complete fucking asshole for the rest of school when it is learned by your fellow classmates that you sued someone in class for knocking your phone out of your hand? Yes.
OP wants to play lawyer, won't you let him?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm

In a crowded world, a certain amount of personal contact is inevitable and must be accepted. Chill out and buy a new phone.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

omnomnom wrote:
reasonable_man wrote: Will you look like a complete fucking asshole for the rest of school when it is learned by your fellow classmates that you sued someone in class for knocking your phone out of your hand? Yes.

There are excellent reasons why law students should not play lawyer. Of all of those reasons, this is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJnA_mt_UA

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts.
Just get it repair it. I replaced one of those screens the first time in 10 mins while watching a youtube video. While 500 would be absurd in her eyes, splitting the bill with her wouldn't be... you know, since it was in your hand.

Assuming you have the 9700, which is the "latest and greatest" (And don't dare tell me that it's not the model and you're referencing the price when bought 2 years ago), the screen comes out to about 120 bucks at pdasmart.
http://www.pdasmart.com/blackberry-9700 ... -parts.htm

Shit, I should start charging for this advice.
TITCR

Replacing parts on a BlackBerry is a piece of cake.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:46 pm

People all over the world would not know how to deal with the situation of some randy breaking their shit if it wasn't for TLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks for any thoughts.
contributory negligence (and possibly drunkenness) on your part,

get insurance, dumbass.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Also, it cannot be a "Hypo" and "Real Life" at the same time.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:09 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
omnomnom wrote:

There are excellent reasons why law students should not play lawyer. Of all of those reasons, this is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJnA_mt_UA
:lol:

BTW, IBTL

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:12 pm

bk187 wrote:People all over the world would not know how to deal with the situation of some randy breaking their shit if it wasn't for TLS.
I was wondering whatever happened to asking the person nicely to help cover the bill.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:13 pm

I might have just quoted the OP in the NYU 2013 thread for good measure...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:13 pm

revolution724 wrote:I was wondering whatever happened to asking the person nicely to help cover the bill.
Once you become a law student you clearly just lawyer your way out of everything.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:16 pm

CG614 wrote:Also, it cannot be a "Hypo" and "Real Life" at the same time.
But it can be a Real Life Hippo!

In which I respond to by stating: Hippos do not make money. You are screwed.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:17 pm

booyakasha wrote:I might have just quoted the OP in the NYU 2013 thread for good measure...
I like your style.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:24 pm

booyakasha wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts.
contributory negligence (and possibly drunkenness) on your part,

get insurance, dumbass.

Contributory negligence.... How do you know he is going to law school in Virginia, Maryland, Alabama, North Carolina or DC?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:26 pm

So, is OP asking for advice on how to be a giant A-hole? Because I know a lot of ways to do that.

IBTL

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:29 pm

$500 for a phone?

Also, IBTL.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Pretty sure the iPhone 4 is almost 1k on ebay. If you're not getting it subsidized by your provider that shit is expensive.

Haven't seen that IBTL graphic before.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”