How often do you go to class completely unprepared?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Aqualibrium

Re: How often do you go to class completely unprepared?

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I wouldnt count on that making a huge difference...Being prepared for class is useless. It's the people who are prepared for the exam who take home the top grades.

Yeah, but they're pretty correlated to dedication.

eh...not really. I read probably 20 cases total last semester; was never prepared to discuss in class. 2 months before finals though, I worked like a madman on every practice problem I could find. My semester was essentially only 2 months. Grades came out great. I dont think reading, briefing, and talking in class matter at all.

Well I suppose I proved your point though...I was still dedicated, just didnt approach it like everyone else.

How did you compensate for the lack of BLL and policy from not reading? Did supplements and outlines help out in these areas??

Yes, mostly outlines. I did read some supplements though (a few chapters of the chimerinsky con law, and a few chapters of understanding property and understanding evidence). With the outlines from people who have taken the class, supplements, and class, I felt like I was able to learn all I needed to know without ever really cracking open the case book.

Additionally, the thing about practice problems (from commercially available books) is that they often have answers that also give a concise rule statement and a citation to the proper case, as well as the policy rationale behind certain rules. As a result, you get the type of "on the job learning" that you really need to be able to succeed on an exam. You end up viewing cases and bll in the context of an exam, and repeatedly applying them in that context. In each of my classes I did every question in the Lexis Q & A's, every question in the barbri books, every question kaplan provided, and every question in the Seigels books. By the time exams rolled around, I not only knew bll and policy backwards and forwards, but I could also apply it without much thought because I had done it so many times before.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Other than classes without cold calls, I'd say that once or twice a month I go to class without having looked at the assigned cases. I hate the suspense - every time I make eye contact with the professor I think I am next to be called on. Thankfully it's never happened.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 pm

zeth006 wrote:

How did you compensate for the lack of BLL and policy from not reading? Did supplements and outlines help out in these areas??

I'm guessing paying attention and taking notes only on important stuff helped?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if anything wouldn't you get more BLL and policy from supplements than from the casebook?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:17 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

I'm guessing paying attention and taking notes only on important stuff helped?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if anything wouldn't you get more BLL and policy from supplements than from the casebook?

Airplanes and cars. I'm told reading the cases might take longer, but it helps you learn how case law has developed to what it is today. Supplements give it to you in a pinch but may/may not skim on some areas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just a 1L, which is why I'm asking.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Additionally, the thing about practice problems (from commercially available books) is that they often have answers that also give a concise rule statement and a citation to the proper case, as well as the policy rationale behind certain rules. As a result, you get the type of "on the job learning" that you really need to be able to succeed on an exam. You end up viewing cases and bll in the context of an exam, and repeatedly applying them in that context. In each of my classes I did every question in the Lexis Q & A's, every question in the barbri books, every question kaplan provided, and every question in the Seigels books. By the time exams rolled around, I not only knew bll and policy backwards and forwards, but I could also apply it without much thought because I had done it so many times before.

I only have access to Lexis. I'll probably go down an alternate route, but I'll keep the CALI lessons and Lexis Nexis Qs in mind.

heyyitskatie

Postby heyyitskatie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:43 pm

this must be a privilege for the brilliant. perhaps it's because I'm a 1L, but the one time I went to class unprepared, I didn't understand a damn word the professor said. I've since learned my lesson.

omnomnom

Postby omnomnom » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:24 pm

--ImageRemoved--

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I wouldnt count on that making a huge difference...Being prepared for class is useless. It's the people who are prepared for the exam who take home the top grades.

This is by far the correct answer. Prepping for cold-calls is a giant waste of time. Most my syllabi say this: final exam = 95% of your grade. My new favorite word: PASS

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:47 pm

inchoate_con wrote:

This is by far the correct answer. Prepping for cold-calls is a giant waste of time. Most my syllabi say this: final exam = 95% of your grade. My new favorite word: PASS

lolwut

What's the other 5% in?

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:51 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:

lolwut

What's the other 5% in?

It's great that you don't have to use professors for references, huh?

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:03 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:

lolwut

What's the other 5% in?

Showing up for the first day of class and the Exam day. You have to be a total fucking moron not to get the 5%. So you can either spend countless hours studying a case to extract a simple rule that is well defined in a plethora of supplements or prep for the exam. Call me crazy, but I tend to focus on the 95% rather than the 5%.

Do your profs take attendance?

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:04 pm

GummiBear wrote:Hey Zugzwang...

I'm probably the only person here who truly understands just how fitting your avatar matches your username.

You're not.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:00 am

revolution724 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:

lolwut

What's the other 5% in?

It's great that you don't have to use professors for references, huh?

Already have...got glowing references too. You do realize that you can get to known professors outside of class right?

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:50 am

Aqualibrium wrote:You do realize that you can get to known professors outside of class right?

Hilarious!

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:
Doritos wrote:
GummiBear wrote:I'm completely unprepared for at least one class per day (And I'm talking about the classes where the professor actually calls on people to do cases).

It's kind of like an adrenaline rush, and it makes class much more exciting.
I hope there are lots of people like you in my classes

Why, for your personal enjoyment? You're a weird person.

I'm assuming he meant for his grade.

Right, cuz being prepared for a cold call REALLY translates to excellent grades..

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:03 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
eh...not really. I read probably 20 cases total last semester; was never prepared to discuss in class. 2 months before finals though, I worked like a madman on every practice problem I could find. My semester was essentially only 2 months. Grades came out great. I dont think reading, briefing, and talking in class matter at all.

Way to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for the opportunity to take an exam, bro! Learning is fuckin' gay!

1. I have a full ride + books.

2. I'm not in law school for the educational enlightenment. I'm here to get a job. Additionally, the idea that I'm not learning because I don't read every case is absolutely ridiculous. I pay attention in class, and focus on doing what I'll ultimately be graded on and what clients will some day expect me to do; analyze a given situation and apply the law. Don't romanticize this shit...it is a means to an end.

Aqua= smart

Burgerinthecan= sad

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:50 pm

RP1983 wrote:Aqua= smart

Burgerinthecan= sad

This, coming from the illustrious author of the following:

RP1983 wrote:Is it dumb to just read online briefs for cases I am assigned instead of reading each one. It is a pain in the ass really to read each and every case. I wanted to know if this was a good idea and I could still do well by doing this. Ie, top 10%. Did anyoone just do this.

Being lazy doesn't make you smart. (and neither does ending a question with a period) HTH.

P.S. Who is Burgerinthecan, anyway?
Last edited by Burger in a can on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

Burgerinthecan= sad

RP1983 wrote:Is it dumb to just read online briefs for cases I am assigned instead of reading each one. It is a pain in the ass really to read each and every case. I wanted to know if this was a good idea and I could still do well by doing this. Ie, top 10%. Did anyoone just do this.

Being lazy doesn't make you smart. (and neither does ending a question with a period) HTH.

Every time I see RP1983, I think it's me... then I realize that I wasn't born in 83 and I don't two-finger type.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

Burgerinthecan= sad

P.S. Who is Burgerinthecan, anyway?

Aww thats so adorable. You are like my little proofreader and spellchecker all rolled into one! I think I'll have you edit my memo next when it is due in a few weeks.

PS. For the majority of my classes, I do read every case in detail because I want to be prepared when I am called on and my professors really grill you. That being said, it probably is a huge waste of time. In one of my classes, all I do is read the online briefs, and then skim the case for like 5 minutes. By doing that, and paying attention in class, I feel like I actually know the stuff in that particular class the best. In other classes, I am too busy trying to memorize and write down every fact, procedural posture, etc. in order to not look like an idiot in class.

I dunno man, whatever works for you. We are just trying to help you out.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:28 am

Just went to Contracts unprepared today. Felt kinda lost. :(

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:Just went to Contracts unprepared today. Felt kinda lost. :(

Agreed. Going to class unprepared is like going to war without a gun. Sure you could get by with a machete, but you're more likely to die.

Mal

Postby Mal » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:44 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Just went to Contracts unprepared today. Felt kinda lost. :(

Agreed. Going to class unprepared is like going to war without a gun. Sure you could get by with a machete, but you're more likely to die.

Haha this is a great analogy.

I still haven't cracked any of my books yet, as a 2L who started last Wednesday again. That being said I had OCI on monday, and a lot of other stuff going on.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Burgerinthecan= sad

Every time I see RP1983, I think it's me... then I realize that I wasn't born in 83 and I don't two-finger type.

People born in 83 two finger type?? Thanks for making me feel old!

@Burger in the can:

Didn't read any cases for my midterm and only online briefs. 2nd highest grade in the class biatch.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 pm

RANDOM THREAD RESSURECTION

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:29 pm

RESSURECTION

RESSURECTION

RESSURECTION

RESSURECTION

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”