How often do you go to class completely unprepared?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GummiBear

How often do you go to class completely unprepared?

Postby GummiBear » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm completely unprepared for at least one class per day (And I'm talking about the classes where the professor actually calls on people to do cases).

It's kind of like an adrenaline rush, and it makes class much more exciting.

bk1

Re: How often do you go to class completely unprepared?

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Grats. I'm happy for you.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:39 pm

weird fucking way to get your jollies

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Any class that allows a laptop. Google the case brief right before s/he cold calls.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:52 pm

I've had to do this several times as a grad student. I avoid it as much as possible because the seminar drags and most of the time you can't participate. It's not more exciting for me, just more of a waste of time sitting there just watching the clock.

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Did this today and survived 30 minutes of getting cold call'd-- I Win!

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:55 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:05 pm

GummiBear wrote:I'm completely unprepared for at least one class per day (And I'm talking about the classes where the professor actually calls on people to do cases).

I hope there are lots of people like you in my classes

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:05 pm

lamest thread ever.

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Doritos wrote:
GummiBear wrote:I'm completely unprepared for at least one class per day (And I'm talking about the classes where the professor actually calls on people to do cases).

Why, for your personal enjoyment? You're a weird person.

GummiBear

Postby GummiBear » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Hey Zugzwang...

I'm probably the only person here who truly understands just how fitting your avatar matches your username.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:30 pm

Zugzwang wrote:
Doritos wrote:

I'm assuming he meant for his grade.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:33 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:
Doritos wrote:

I'm assuming he meant for his grade.

I wouldnt count on that making a huge difference...Being prepared for class is useless. It's the people who are prepared for the exam who take home the top grades.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I wouldnt count on that making a huge difference...Being prepared for class is useless. It's the people who are prepared for the exam who take home the top grades.

Yeah, but they're pretty correlated to dedication.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah i've done this all the time . . . in undergrad

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 pm

GummiBear wrote:Hey Zugzwang...

I'm probably the only a person here who truly understands just how fitting your avatar matches your username.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:52 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I wouldnt count on that making a huge difference...Being prepared for class is useless. It's the people who are prepared for the exam who take home the top grades.

eh...not really. I read probably 20 cases total last semester; was never prepared to discuss in class. 2 months before finals though, I worked like a madman on every practice problem I could find. My semester was essentially only 2 months. Grades came out great. I dont think reading, briefing, and talking in class matter at all.

Well I suppose I proved your point though...I was still dedicated, just didnt approach it like everyone else.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
eh...not really. I read probably 20 cases total last semester; was never prepared to discuss in class. 2 months before finals though, I worked like a madman on every practice problem I could find. My semester was essentially only 2 months. Grades came out great. I dont think reading, briefing, and talking in class matter at all.

Way to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for the opportunity to take an exam, bro! Learning is fuckin' gay!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Way to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for the opportunity to take an exam, bro! Learning is fuckin' gay!

1. I have a full ride + books.

2. I'm not in law school for the educational enlightenment. I'm here to get a job. Additionally, the idea that I'm not learning because I don't read every case is absolutely ridiculous. I pay attention in class, and focus on doing what I'll ultimately be graded on and what clients will some day expect me to do; analyze a given situation and apply the law. Don't romanticize this shit...it is a means to an end.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

1. I have a full ride + books.

2. I'm not in law school for the educational enlightenment. I'm here to get a job. Additionally, the idea that I'm not learning because I don't read every case is absolutely ridiculous. I pay attention in class, and focus on doing what I'll ultimately be graded on and what clients will some day expect me to do; analyze a given situation and apply the law. Don't romanticize this shit...it is a means to an end.

That's what I'm saying, broseph! Don't romanticize this shit- it's all about the job you get at the end! Learning is for suckerz. Dollah dollah bills, y'all!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Burger in a can wrote:That's what I'm saying, broseph! Don't romanticize this shit- it's all about the job you get at the end! Learning is for suckerz. Dollah dollah bills, y'all!

I think youre still missing the point. Reading is for suckaz. Applied learning is all good. I mean you can be top 10% in your class, brief every case, and get no job. I hope your degrees are enough to keep you warm; I hear it's gonna be a cold winter.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:14 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
I think youre still missing the point. Reading is for suckaz. Learning is all good.

Aqualibrium wrote:I'm not in law school for the educational enlightenment. I'm here to get a job.

oh snap!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
I think youre still missing the point. Reading is for suckaz. Learning is all good.

Aqualibrium wrote:I'm not in law school for the educational enlightenment. I'm here to get a job.

Don't see any incongruency in those statements. Again, to think that I don't "learn" because I don't read and brief every case is ridiculous.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Trolling elsewhere, as requested below.
Last edited by Burger in a can on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Well I suppose I proved your point though...I was still dedicated, just didnt approach it like everyone else.

How did you compensate for the lack of BLL and policy from not reading? Did supplements and outlines help out in these areas??

I'm guessing paying attention and taking notes only on important stuff helped?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”