Didn't Write on to any Secondary Journals... What to do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
The Jerk

Didn't Write on to any Secondary Journals... What to do?

Postby The Jerk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 pm

sigghhhhh

TTH

Re: Didn't Write on to any Secondary Journals... What to do?

Postby TTH » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Moot court? Get something published in the Cooley Journal of Library Expansion Law?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Look around. Are your classmates on secondary journals getting jobs? What's that? No? Oh. Well then it doesn't matter whether they are on one or not...

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Last edited by JG Hall on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Jerk

Postby The Jerk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm

What's worse is I'm a transfer and I wrote onto all three secondary journals at my old school... Oh well, guess I could always just completely rethink my career plans. Litigation here I come? Joy.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 pm

The Jerk wrote:What's worse is I'm a transfer and I wrote onto all three secondary journals at my old school... Oh well, guess I could always just completely rethink my career plans. Litigation here I come? Joy.

Don't understand. Litigators don't need to write?

The Jerk

Postby The Jerk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 pm

JG Hall wrote:work on your writing skillz, because everyone gets a secondary journal

Everyone hm? Everyone but me then. Lovely.

The Jerk

Postby The Jerk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:14 pm

KMaine wrote:
The Jerk wrote:What's worse is I'm a transfer and I wrote onto all three secondary journals at my old school... Oh well, guess I could always just completely rethink my career plans. Litigation here I come? Joy.

Don't understand. Litigators don't need to write?

Hm, they do, I've just never really thought seriously about becoming a litigator. If you join the moot court team, are you always thought of as a potential litigation associate by hiring firms? Is it better to try and find a less "prestigious" activity more suited to your interests if you are not that interested in being a litigator, or is it worth doing simply because it allows you to keep up your legal writing skills?

GrapeApe

Postby GrapeApe » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:33 am

Some people turn down an offer from the primary law review. Don't fret about a worthless secondary journal. This "OH NOEZ!!!! JOURNALZ!!!!" stuff really is pretty pathetic. I guarantee that if you work on creative interviewing and networking skills, you can outperform the elitists who flock to the journals.

Relax.

goody687

Postby goody687 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Note sure what school you attend, but I'm at a top 20, did very well, and did not write onto any of our journals. While I still have not received an offer, I do have 12 callbacks and the question of not being on a journal has not come up. I could be wrong, but it seems like employers are more concerned with law review or not, rather than secondary journal status. Good luck, feel free to PM.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:37 pm

GrapeApe wrote:I guarantee that if you work on creative interviewing and networking skills, you can outperform the elitists who flock to the journals.

TCR. Knowing people > grades + journal. In fact, the only thing that trumps knowing people is being related to people.

The Jerk

Postby The Jerk » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks guys, this makes me feel better. No use crying over spilt milk I guess, on to other things.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:57 pm

You can write on as a 3L. In the mean time work memorize the bluebook. Also, next time around be sure to hard copy edit your paper.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:49 pm

goody687 wrote:Note sure what school you attend, but I'm at a top 20, did very well, and did not write onto any of our journals. While I still have not received an offer, I do have 12 callbacks and the question of not being on a journal has not come up. I could be wrong, but it seems like employers are more concerned with law review or not, rather than secondary journal status. Good luck, feel free to PM.

Goodpebble? Goodrock maybe?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”