2L time management Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
samiseaborn

Bronze

2L time management

Post by samiseaborn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:55 am

Doing research part-time for a prof a good or bad idea time-wise when journal membership notification still pending, job search ongoing? I tend to work better when busy, but can't get a grasp on how much work 2Lyear is going to really be yet. Anyone want to speak from experience?

mbw

Bronze

Re: 2L time management

Post by mbw » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Three weeks in: no journal, but three classes, a 3 credit supervised writing (45-60 pg "publication worthy" paper required) and a 4 person clinic (case going to trial and we're doing discovery and depositions now.) Didn't do OCI (no interest,) but now doing gov and 501(c)(3)s apps. I've found it much more reasonable this year, and am home every night by 5-6pm. I even signed up my youngest for soccer, knowing I could take her twice a week. And I have friends over for dinner at least once a week.

I know they say that in 2L, they "work you to death," but I'm just not feeling it. My PhD at this point (2nd-3rd year) was much more time consuming.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Just started 2L, so I don't know how much more intense it is going to get, but my experience is very different from the above poster's. I rarely get home before 9 or 10 pm, have trouble finding enough time to get all my classwork done, hardly able to keep up with applications, and I can't believe I'm trying to move this month. No journal, 4 classes, externship + seminar. My guess is that YMMV and it all depends on how time-consuming the things you're doing are. I feel pretty stretched.

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:37 am

They "work you to death" because many 2Ls take the path of "OH NOEZ!!!! LET MEH CRAM AS MANY ACTIVITIEZ AZ POZZIBLE IN MEH SCHEDUELZ!!!! Thus, everyone is looking to do Law Review, Moot Court, Secondary Journals, SBA, and extra-curricular clubs.

This isn't necessarily the path that everyone should take.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

LoriBelle

Bronze

Post by LoriBelle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:24 am

2L year is murdering me. 4 classes, law review, OCI, and working for a professor who is running me ragged. And I thought last year was bad...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:53 pm

LoriBelle wrote:2L year is murdering me. 4 classes, law review, OCI, and working for a professor who is running me ragged. And I thought last year was bad...
The good news is that this is probably as bad as it's going to get, provided you don't run for a senior position on LR. 3L will be a breeze.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 pm

revolution724 wrote:Just started 2L, so I don't know how much more intense it is going to get, but my experience is very different from the above poster's. I rarely get home before 9 or 10 pm, have trouble finding enough time to get all my classwork done, hardly able to keep up with applications, and I can't believe I'm trying to move this month. No journal, 4 classes, externship + seminar. My guess is that YMMV and it all depends on how time-consuming the things you're doing are. I feel pretty stretched.
I completely forgot, I have to do the moving thing next month as well. Something to keep in mind, thanks.

I've got less class hours than before, but as a transfer I do have to worry about grades a bit more this semester. I guess I should really wait until hearing from a journal to decide. Thanks for the run down all, I just knew these last few weeks weren't indicative of the rest of the semester for me and needed some other perspectives.

NYU2011

New

Post by NYU2011 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

I was an RA last year while on a journal and doing a job search. I never felt overwhelmed, but I told my professor upfront that I could do max 15 hours a week and he was very good about sticking to that.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm

samiseaborn wrote:Doing research part-time for a prof a good or bad idea time-wise when journal membership notification still pending, job search ongoing? I tend to work better when busy, but can't get a grasp on how much work 2Lyear is going to really be yet. Anyone want to speak from experience?

I would take it. I'm doing 2 jobs, Law Review and school full time, and I'm married. So far, I have been able to keep up and I'm ahead on my reading. Ohh... and im doing the whole job search thing too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”