1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby onthecusp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:54 pm

Lets see if anyone can beat my first four weeks.

1st Week - Enduring the worst toothache I've ever had in my life and having my wisdom teeth pulled.

2nd week - Wife has two trips to the ER, on a Tuesday and a Thursday, both beginning around 7:00pm and concluding around 5am.

3rd week - Tending to my wife's illness while trying to acclimate myself into a proper law school rhythm.

4th week - Beginning to think everything's going to be alright........Wednesday morning hits, I've developed flue like symptoms that progress through the night, by Thursday morning I'm determined just to make it through the day, after classes I nearly collapse on my way to the parking lot, some how make it home and sleep from 4pm to 9am the next day. Wake up for Friday morning's class, barely make it through without checking out early, drive back home thankful that I have a three day weekend to recuperate. I'm somewhat in a haze as I'm leaving my car, I think to myself, "You forgot your book bag! Ah screw it, I'm taking the night off anyway, time to rest." Wake up feeling somewhat better on Saturday morning, go to my car to retrieve my book bag......gone.......just gone. It was stolen from the backseat of my car.

The contents of my backpack: 1 Brand New Asus Laptop (the one made of real bamboo), 1 Torts book highlighted through the first 100 pages, my in class paper notebook, other ancillary items. Replacement value? Roughly $1,500

All I have to say is, thank God for Carbonite.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby isaiah6v8 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 pm

dude, that sucks, I hope it gets better for you.

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby onthecusp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:00 am

As a follow up, I'm all good now. I've replaced the laptop, still have to replace the text book. It could of been a lot worse. I'm just thankful I pulled the rest of my books out of my book bag before I left for school on Friday morning. I'm caught up in all my classes, I feel better physically, mentally I'm in a good place....

Fight or Flight.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:01 am

That seriously blows. I hope you and your wife get better soon.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby dakatz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:01 am

Damn, this is like the story of Job or something. I'm really sorry to hear how rough these past few weeks have been, but things always balance themselves out with time.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:04 am

When did you start law school? Geez, I'm starting my second week?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby traehekat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:24 am

Man that sucks, sorry to hear. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone can top this.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby TTH » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:33 am

Starting week 4, last week at bar review three different pairs hooked up, all 1Ls.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby jkay » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 am

TTH wrote:Starting week 4, last week at bar review three different pairs hooked up, all 1Ls.


The best part of this story isn't that it happened, it's that everyone knows already.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Sogui » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:40 am

Starting "official" classes today but we've already have a 2.5 week intro course.

Still waiting on that financial aid. Having to skimp on required reading because I simply can't afford all the books.

Call up financial aid again, "Yea we are working on that..."

Not as shitty as the OPs, but as I'm watching my kitchen food supplies dwindle to about 2.5 full meals, with about $30 to my name... I'm really getting bitter about the whole situation.

Edit: One of our professors had a 'health crisis' and now our "small section", one of the few small learning environments we would have, is transformed into a huge monster of 3 classes merged together. Furthermore the new professor has banned laptops, and assigned a more expensive book that I simply do not have the money in my account for.

This whole experience is on my first day of class is just wrecking my nerves.

UWO-BADGPA
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby UWO-BADGPA » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Dude

Trust me the only thing that matters is the several days leading up to your final.

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Baylan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Sogui wrote:Starting "official" classes today but we've already have a 2.5 week intro course.

Still waiting on that financial aid. Having to skimp on required reading because I simply can't afford all the books.

Call up financial aid again, "Yea we are working on that..."

Not as shitty as the OPs, but as I'm watching my kitchen food supplies dwindle to about 2.5 full meals, with about $30 to my name... I'm really getting bitter about the whole situation.

Edit: One of our professors had a 'health crisis' and now our "small section", one of the few small learning environments we would have, is transformed into a huge monster of 3 classes merged together. Furthermore the new professor has banned laptops, and assigned a more expensive book that I simply do not have the money in my account for.

This whole experience is on my first day of class is just wrecking my nerves.


Finally got my financial aid money today! Woohoo! And as for the kitchen food supplies... thats what credit cards are for, not that mine weren't maxed out from buying books or anything.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:24 pm

I had to submit my first LWRAP assignment 4 times to get it to comply with our formatting rules. This leaves me very pessimistic about both journal write-ons and my legal career in general.

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:22 am

onthecusp wrote:Lets see if anyone can beat my first four weeks.

1st Week - Enduring the worst toothache I've ever had in my life and having my wisdom teeth pulled.

2nd week - Wife has two trips to the ER, on a Tuesday and a Thursday, both beginning around 7:00pm and concluding around 5am.

3rd week - Tending to my wife's illness while trying to acclimate myself into a proper law school rhythm.

4th week - Beginning to think everything's going to be alright........Wednesday morning hits, I've developed flue like symptoms that progress through the night, by Thursday morning I'm determined just to make it through the day, after classes I nearly collapse on my way to the parking lot, some how make it home and sleep from 4pm to 9am the next day. Wake up for Friday morning's class, barely make it through without checking out early, drive back home thankful that I have a three day weekend to recuperate. I'm somewhat in a haze as I'm leaving my car, I think to myself, "You forgot your book bag! Ah screw it, I'm taking the night off anyway, time to rest." Wake up feeling somewhat better on Saturday morning, go to my car to retrieve my book bag......gone.......just gone. It was stolen from the backseat of my car.

The contents of my backpack: 1 Brand New Asus Laptop (the one made of real bamboo), 1 Torts book highlighted through the first 100 pages, my in class paper notebook, other ancillary items. Replacement value? Roughly $1,500

All I have to say is, thank God for Carbonite.

This really really sucks, and I'm sorry. But in the future, you really shouldn't go to school when you're sick. Illness spreads in law school like wildfire.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby keg411 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:52 am

skoobily doobily wrote:I had to submit my first LWRAP assignment 4 times to get it to comply with our formatting rules. This leaves me very pessimistic about both journal write-ons and my legal career in general.


Meh, I sucked at ICW's and I've done legal citations before. I wouldn't beat yourself up about this type of stuff now. As long as the assignment wasn't graded, I wouldn't worry... and I definitely wouldn't worry about it hurting your journal chances/career this early in the process.

I do have a 1L horror story, but I can't repeat it on here (although as it gets further away it's more lulzy that OMG-WTF). Enough of my classmates still read this :lol:.

User avatar
jp0094
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby jp0094 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 am

Don't leave stuff in your car?

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:36 pm

jp0094 wrote:Don't leave stuff in your car?


I've been eyeing this thread, waiting for the first righteous prick to show up. I'm impressed that it lasted 15 posts before someone had to wag their finger like an asshole.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
jp0094 wrote:Don't leave stuff in your car?


I've been eyeing this thread, waiting for the first righteous prick to show up. I'm impressed that it lasted 15 posts before someone had to wag their finger like an asshole.


+1

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby traehekat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 pm

jp0094 wrote:Don't leave stuff in your car?


Shit, don't even buy a car man. You're just going to look like an idiot when it gets stolen.

You know, just don't own ANYTHING. That's reasonable.

User avatar
jp0094
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby jp0094 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:43 pm

traehekat wrote:
jp0094 wrote:Don't leave stuff in your car?


Shit, don't even buy a car man. You're just going to look like an idiot when it gets stolen.

You know, just don't own ANYTHING. That's reasonable.


Yeah man, I also leave my car keys in the ignition. I then later act surprised/disappointed when someone steals my car.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:45 pm

jp0094 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
jp0094 wrote:Don't leave stuff in your car?


Shit, don't even buy a car man. You're just going to look like an idiot when it gets stolen.

You know, just don't own ANYTHING. That's reasonable.


Yeah man, I also leave my car keys in the ignition. I then later act surprised/disappointed when someone steals my car.


Inapposite analogy is inapposite.

Pablo Ramirez
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:58 pm

onthecusp wrote:1 Brand New Asus Laptop (the one made of real bamboo)


LOL!

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
onthecusp wrote:1 Brand New Asus Laptop (the one made of real bamboo)


LOL!


Ladies and gentlemen, asshole #2 has arrived. Welcome, He Who Laughs At The Misfortune Of Others! :)

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: 1L "Off to a bad start" Horror Stories

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:02 pm

jp0094 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
jp0094 wrote:Don't leave stuff in your car?


Shit, don't even buy a car man. You're just going to look like an idiot when it gets stolen.

You know, just don't own ANYTHING. That's reasonable.


Yeah man, I also leave my car keys in the ignition. I then later act surprised/disappointed when someone steals my car.


Kind of like how you were really cute and friendly to strangers as a child, and then later acted surprised/disappointed when you were molested by a junkie wearing a clown costume? Totally, duder!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: electriklemon, EncyclopediaOrange, hkh2220, newhere21, sblock60, TheSpanishMain and 13 guests