When are you guys outlining?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RickyMack
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 am

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby RickyMack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:11 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:jdubb990 wrote:
There's no harm in outlining early, even from the beginning. Some of the guides on law school success on here even suggest to do just that. The whole point of outlining is creating and editing it, looking at it as often as possible to memorize as much as you can. If you put the basic stuff that you just learned in there now, who cares, you can take it out later, leave it, do whatever you want to it.


If it worked for *Teddy, it'll work for me.


of course, the same could be said of the people who say you don't need to outline until 2 weeks before finals.

halfway to 2/3s sounds like a good medium. i'd rather have it done earlier so i can work on practice exams.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:37 am

I get so much conflicting information on this that it was hard to decide what to do.

It seems like the majority opinion on TLS was to outline after each major section. I went in with this plan, but then my contracts prof. insisted that we outline after each class, and randomly asks for a few students to send theirs in to make sure we are doing it. This has been really tough to deal with, especially since the first section we are going over (bases for enforcing promises) seems to be all over the board.

Then I attended a study skills session on outlining, where one of the top ranked 3Ls in our school said he outlines while he does his reading every day, then comes back in and fills in details after class. He said his philosophy is ABO (always be outlining).

So I am trying to keep a loose outline going as I go along, and then after each major section I think I'll browse a supplement and fill in more important details, and remove irrelevant stuff.

User avatar
go4hls
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby go4hls » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:09 am

rdcws000 wrote:I get so much conflicting information on this that it was hard to decide what to do.

It seems like the majority opinion on TLS was to outline after each major section. I went in with this plan, but then my contracts prof. insisted that we outline after each class, and randomly asks for a few students to send theirs in to make sure we are doing it. This has been really tough to deal with, especially since the first section we are going over (bases for enforcing promises) seems to be all over the board.

Then I attended a study skills session on outlining, where one of the top ranked 3Ls in our school said he outlines while he does his reading every day, then comes back in and fills in details after class. He said his philosophy is ABO (always be outlining).

So I am trying to keep a loose outline going as I go along, and then after each major section I think I'll browse a supplement and fill in more important details, and remove irrelevant stuff.


If you look at TLS as a whole, there's a lot of conflicting info about this. However, if you look at the best/most well-known "How to do well in 1L" threads on TLS -- Xeoh's Wahoo's, Arrow's, and a few others -- they're all remarkably consistent in their advice, and the advice is to FRONTLOAD your studying, and to OUTLINE EARLY.

User avatar
jdubb990
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby jdubb990 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 am

go4hls wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:I get so much conflicting information on this that it was hard to decide what to do.

It seems like the majority opinion on TLS was to outline after each major section. I went in with this plan, but then my contracts prof. insisted that we outline after each class, and randomly asks for a few students to send theirs in to make sure we are doing it. This has been really tough to deal with, especially since the first section we are going over (bases for enforcing promises) seems to be all over the board.

Then I attended a study skills session on outlining, where one of the top ranked 3Ls in our school said he outlines while he does his reading every day, then comes back in and fills in details after class. He said his philosophy is ABO (always be outlining).

So I am trying to keep a loose outline going as I go along, and then after each major section I think I'll browse a supplement and fill in more important details, and remove irrelevant stuff.


If you look at TLS as a whole, there's a lot of conflicting info about this. However, if you look at the best/most well-known "How to do well in 1L" threads on TLS -- Xeoh's Wahoo's, Arrow's, and a few others -- they're all remarkably consistent in their advice, and the advice is to FRONTLOAD your studying, and to OUTLINE EARLY.


Yea, those were the ones I was referring to supra.

User avatar
happy187
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby happy187 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:15 am

I started outlining after my first classes. I am going PT and I already know that I won't have a lot of cram time so I am forced to do it as I go along. So far its been working but I fear that I will be re-outlining as finals comes up to refresh myself of topics covered early in the course.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm

I outline after each class (not always immediately after, but the day of). But that's just the way I need to work for myself to keep myself from falling into bad habits, and it's not too difficult to structure because I have pretty clear syllabuses in all of my classes.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby savagedm » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:02 pm

keg411 wrote:I outline after each class (not always immediately after, but the day of). But that's just the way I need to work for myself to keep myself from falling into bad habits, and it's not too difficult to structure because I have pretty clear syllabuses in all of my classes.


Yeah I kinda do that for torts because that is a class where it seems easy to get behind in. Same with CivPro. The rest... meh, I'll outline in October.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby kalvano » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 pm

I struggle with outlining since I have outlines from upperclassmen for all my classes that are pretty much spot-on.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm

I've decided i'm going to outline this weekend, I was going to do it last weekend but a trip to DC later . . . this weekend it is. I feel like one reason I want to is because going through a casebook and reinforcing it in class, there are a lot of little things that I could easily see myself missing if I waiting another month to start outlining. I feel like there are little key points in my head that will slip away if I just outline based off all of my notes later. I'd like to synthesize them now into outline form so I don't pass over them.

Also, if I just ignore personal jurisdiction for 6 weeks like I want to do, i'm going to sit down in mid October to refresh and be like "WTFITS?"

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:50 pm

kalvano wrote:I struggle with outlining since I have outlines from upperclassmen for all my classes that are pretty much spot-on.

IMO if you have another good one, why bother? Sure, there might be some marginal return on your investment of time, but it's unsubstantial compared to all the fun you could be having. I got As in 1L classes where I didn't outline a thing. The trick is following along in class to make sure the old outline you got remains valid, and making little edits where necessary.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby kalvano » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:14 pm

That's what I'm struggling with. It's not something you achieve by rote memory, it's an analytical skill set.

But I still have this idea that I ought to do it for the sake of doing it.

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby rynabrius » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:19 pm

2L here.

Outlines are useful only insofar as they force you to actively learn. Reading carefully and briefing cases are also just tools to force active learning, as opposed to passive absorption. The tool most on-point for success, though, is writing practice exams. So, as I see it, the important thing is not when you outline, it's when you start writing practice exams. You want to use up all of your practice material roughly two to seven days before the time of the exam, and spend the rest reviewing. (I suggest doing untimed practice exams to perfection while refining the outline, and then doing the rest of your practice material under strict testing conditions.) Thus, the time to finish outlining is right before you are to start your first practice test. Then, you ought to refine your outlines in the process of writing practice exams. It is up to you to determine how long outlining takes you.

And since I did well 1L this advice must be good!

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: When are you guys outlining?

Postby zeth006 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 pm

SBL wrote:
kalvano wrote:I struggle with outlining since I have outlines from upperclassmen for all my classes that are pretty much spot-on.

IMO if you have another good one, why bother? Sure, there might be some marginal return on your investment of time, but it's unsubstantial compared to all the fun you could be having. I got As in 1L classes where I didn't outline a thing. The trick is following along in class to make sure the old outline you got remains valid, and making little edits where necessary.



Sounds about right. I don't plan to reinvent too many wheels either. For each of my classes, I'll aim to either rehash an old outline and add my own stuff or use my prof's lecture outlines when available and copy/paste mini-briefs and stuff from a previous student's outline. But then again, there's also the fact that my study group will probably trade outlines. They seem pretty serious about their work, but I'm planning to make my own or at least try to before I rely on them.


Oh whelps. When my Friday night movie run ends at 8, it's time to start outlining for Civ. I'll be running a semi-dual monitor display setup with my laptop and 24" with pizza, a beer, and AC/DC playing in the background. I figured I might as well zoom through 3 weeks worth of FRCP and motion pleading outlining.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], butlerraider1, Downstairs_Mixup, greengrass, Harry Belafonte, j431e782, narddawg, orchidbloom, sr1986, TheSpanishMain, yoursinkai and 46 guests