Does being on journal really matter?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kimins

Does being on journal really matter?

Postby kimins » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:48 pm

I am a 2L and I am wondering if journal really matters for jobs because it is sucking up my time so I am thinking of leaving it.....any thoughts? (I am not trying to go for big law).

Adjudicator

Re: Does being on journal really matter?

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Well, I suppose it depends on what you want to do. But in general, I hear it really does matter. If you were fortunate enough to get on the law review, I wouldn't quit, if I were you. I don't know what you're planning to do, but law review opens a lot of doors and is one of the major ways that top students can set themselves apart from the rest.

kimins

Postby kimins » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Well, I suppose it depends on what you want to do. But in general, I hear it really does matter. If you were fortunate enough to get on the law review, I wouldn't quit, if I were you. I don't know what you're planning to do, but law review opens a lot of doors and is one of the major ways that top students can set themselves apart from the rest.

nope, no law review...a regular journal:)
Last edited by kimins on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:03 pm

kimins wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Well, I suppose it depends on what you want to do. But in general, I hear it really does matter. If you were fortunate enough to get on the law review, I wouldn't quit, if I were you. I don't know what you're planning to do, but law review opens a lot of doors and is one of the major ways that top students can set themselves apart from the rest.

nope, now law review...a regular journal:)

Oh, well then... probably doesn't matter very much. :)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:12 pm

If you want to clerk, keep at it. Otherwise, the benefit may not be that great.

However, investigate the consequences of quitting--some schools have policies to prevent you from doing what you're talking about (since you theoretically took a spot someone else wanted, and they have counted on having your help in deciding how many people to accept).

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Quit if you're unhappy and you don't want to go into academia. The school will probably have a policy saying you have to notify any employers to whom you submitted a resume saying you were on a journal.

I didn't do the writing competition at my school, and have so far only had one screening interviewer ask about a journal, and she didn't seem even remotely put off by my response.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't do a journal but I do a ton of clinics and volunteer stuff. No one has ever asked, and if they ever do I'll tell them it's because I wanted to focus more on clinical work. Some people might still care, but I don't anticipate it being a huge problem.

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:36 am

It's a prereq. for getting a clerkship, but if you don't have the grades, it's all just a moot point anyway.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:59 am

I'd say do it - you never know where life will take you - maybe you'll graduate coif or something, and even if you didn't do law review - maybe you'll become an executive editor of a good journal, who knows..

Its an insurance policy to do it, although if you're miserable with the experience, and it is really affecting your studies, then maybe thats a different issue. As far as your school's policies on quitting a journal, check that - don't wanna get in trouble.

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:16 am

question about law review and academia: I understand that it's a strong signal, but given everything that I've read about how new hires are expected to have some published articles under their belts, does law review matter as much these days? Supposing one has a choice between allocating extra-curricular time to law review or to researching and writing, what's the smarter move?

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 am

re-applicant wrote:question about law review and academia: I understand that it's a strong signal, but given everything that I've read about how new hires are expected to have some published articles under their belts, does law review matter as much these days? Supposing one has a choice between allocating extra-curricular time to law review or to researching and writing, what's the smarter move?

LR. There is no debate.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:48 am

OP. You should stay on, but just do a half-assed job at it. Secondary journals are pointless and people will be reluctant to throw you off unless you literally do no work. Secondary journals give you really no boost (like LR), but not having it is a negative.

If you do quit, don't call your employers and tell you did, even if the law school has the policy. Make them do it, if they wish (they won't).

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:38 am

re-applicant wrote:question about law review and academia: I understand that it's a strong signal, but given everything that I've read about how new hires are expected to have some published articles under their belts, does law review matter as much these days? Supposing one has a choice between allocating extra-curricular time to law review or to researching and writing, what's the smarter move?

These days, your research agenda and prior publications are more important than LR. But why only choose one? The market is so competitive; other candidates will have done both.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:05 pm

spanktheduck wrote:OP. You should stay on, but just do a half-assed job at it. Secondary journals are pointless and people will be reluctant to throw you off unless you literally do no work. Secondary journals give you really no boost (like LR), but not having it is a negative.

If you do quit, don't call your employers and tell you did, even if the law school has the policy. Make them do it, if they wish (they won't).

Right. Because screwing over the other people on the journal is awesome.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Every single employer I have interviewed with has asked me why I didn't do a journal. If you don't do it, come up with an explanation.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Makes no sense not to do a journal ITE... too many employers put it as a "plus" and some even require it.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:32 pm

Just because it doesn't provide a substantial boost doesn't mean that lack of it won't be an issue.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:37 pm

dresden doll wrote:Just because it doesn't provide a substantial boost doesn't mean that lack of it won't be an issue.

This, so very this. It's not a positive so much as avoiding a negative.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:38 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Makes no sense not to do a journal ITE... too many employers put it as a "plus" and some even require it.

I'll count not doing journal as a smart move as long as I end up getting some kind of job. It sounds really fucking boring.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Out of 20 screening interviews, only 2 asked me why I wasn't on a journal. I've done one CB so far and no-one there mentioned it/asked either.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:20 pm

I don't see why people are so reluctant to put in the time. I thought making this journal (a strong secondary) was a huge honor, and I will never begrudge a second of cite checking time when so many people I know who wanted journals didn't get them. Seriously, do it and be happy you got it.

stressed2010

Postby stressed2010 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey operasoprano, totally unrelated but i've noticed you seem to be an expert on Fordham. Has admission to the part time program gotten more competitive this year? I'd really like to go but have heard some discouraging stuff on this board. Thanks.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I don't see why people are so reluctant to put in the time. I thought making this journal (a strong secondary) was a huge honor, and I will never begrudge a second of cite checking time when so many people I know who wanted journals didn't get them. Seriously, do it and be happy you got it.

Also, this.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I don't see why people are so reluctant to put in the time.

Because I went to law school because law is fun, but journal is boring.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:42 pm

stressed2010 wrote:Hey operasoprano, totally unrelated but i've noticed you seem to be an expert on Fordham. Has admission to the part time program gotten more competitive this year? I'd really like to go but have heard some discouraging stuff on this board. Thanks.

Yes, they cut the program in half and are much more focused on people who plan to work all four years. I have super mixed feelings about this, because I loved my program and my class, but it seems it will be this way for the foreseeable future.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”