will my law degree help me get into any graduate programs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pointnlaugh7

will my law degree help me get into any graduate programs

Postby pointnlaugh7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 am

will a law degree from boston university help me get into any graduate programs? namely, philosophy phd programs. yes, i am already pursuing the jd/ma in philosophy, but i want to know if my JD in and of itself will help me get in. (i know that getting a philosophy phd will help one get into law school but i dont know about the other way around.)

i would like a better answer than 'it couldnt hurt.'

Iconoclast

Re: will my law degree help me get into any graduate programs

Postby Iconoclast » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:00 pm

Seems kinda like using a sledgehammer to put a tack in a corkboard...

Discipulus Iustitiae

Postby Discipulus Iustitiae » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:08 pm

If your areas of interest are in political and legal philosophy, and perhaps ethics, you should get a good admissions boost. But if you want to do, say, metaphysics, then I don't think it will help much. The single most important factor in applying to philosophy graduate programs is the writing sample, followed by letters of recommendation and statement of intent. Bear in mind, too, that competition to the top 50 philosophy grad programs is more fierce than that of law school admissions. Typically, the very top programs accept between 3-5% of their applicants (e.g., Cornell gets 300+ applications for 4-5 spots each year).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:32 pm

pointnlaugh7 wrote:will a law degree from boston university help me get into any graduate programs? namely, philosophy phd programs. yes, i am already pursuing the jd/ma in philosophy, but i want to know if my JD in and of itself will help me get in. (i know that getting a philosophy phd will help one get into law school but i dont know about the other way around.)

Its getting easier and easier to figure out who is posting on these forums from my school.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:36 pm

*points and laughs* at pointnlaugh7

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Just wrapped up an MA in phil at a program that sends folks to PhD's regularly. Since you're already studying Phil you should know the answer is "it depends". You studies should naturally boost your GRE score so that helps, they should help you get better recommendations so that helps, and they should also help you produce a better writing sample so that helps. But if your philosophical interests are in metaphysics or epistemology then I doubt it helps that much as another poster already said if you want to do legal or political phil your JD probably helps.

It does make me wonder why you are on this path though. You realize that top notch phil PHDs don't get jobs right? There's a lot of talk on TLS about how bad the legal job market is, but in comparison to trying to land a tenure track job in the humanities it's still a job orgy.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:15 pm

I've sat on humanities graduate admissions committees. In descending order of importance, the following factors seem to be involved. 1, 2, and 3 are about 95% of it.

1. Connections - Do you know anybody in the department who will argue for you in committee? Does somebody at the school owe your current adviser a favor?

2. Publications - Have you written anything (pref. in a peer-reviewed journal) on your proposed topic?

3. Proposed research design - Does it 'make sense' in the context of what the department does.

4. Previous research.

5. Previous degrees - grades, where you went to school (some top programs are very elitist about UG education), your advanced degrees.

6. GRE scores - but IMHO these are overblown and not nearly as important/dispositive as they are in law school. You want to be able to jump over the hurdle, but small differences in scores won't make or break an application.

A J.D. will help you insofar as it allows you to network with people in the profession, publish in cognate fields, and write a convincing research statement. If its disconnected from what you want to study then it will be a negative (the committee will wonder if you're just floundering around and feeling directionless).

But:
homestyle28 wrote: It does make me wonder why you are on this path though. You realize that top notch phil PHDs don't get jobs right? There's a lot of talk on TLS about how bad the legal job market is, but in comparison to trying to land a tenure track job in the humanities it's still a job orgy.

pointnlaugh7

Postby pointnlaugh7 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
pointnlaugh7 wrote:will a law degree from boston university help me get into any graduate programs? namely, philosophy phd programs. yes, i am already pursuing the jd/ma in philosophy, but i want to know if my JD in and of itself will help me get in. (i know that getting a philosophy phd will help one get into law school but i dont know about the other way around.)

Its getting easier and easier to figure out who is posting on these forums from my school.

K hi. And SHEESH guys I was just curious.

pointnlaugh7

Postby pointnlaugh7 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks to the helpful responses

BigDreamah

Postby BigDreamah » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:43 am

Hey Point and Laugh,

I've just starting thinking about the same option as you. I was wondering if you had taken any action on it or learned anything more about it. Thanks.

pedror414

Postby pedror414 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:10 am

SPAM

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon May 30, 2011 3:21 am

pedror414 wrote:SPAM

IBB

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon May 30, 2011 3:30 am

General Tso wrote:*points and laughs* at pointnlaugh7

When random threads get bumped I see General TSO and I get sort of excited for a moment. Then I realize he posted this before his permanent ban and I get sad again. :cry:

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon May 30, 2011 5:02 am

shoeshine wrote:

When random threads get bumped I see General TSO and I get sort of excited for a moment. Then I realize he posted this before his permanent ban and I get sad again. :cry:

Permanent ban? Whaaaaat?

What happened?

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue May 31, 2011 10:31 am

lisjjen wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Permanent ban? Whaaaaat?

What happened?

He fought the law, and the law won.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”