Black's Law Dictionary

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jayn3

Black's Law Dictionary

Postby jayn3 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:54 am

who has it? what edition? if i buy the pocket version, do i need the latest edition?

starrydecisus

Re: Black's Law Dictionary

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:16 am

jayn3 wrote:who has it? what edition? if i buy the pocket version, do i need the latest edition?

I have the 3rd Pocket Edition.

I think it's fair to say that you may not need the newest edition, since you'll mostly be using it to look up pretty set legal terms....for the most part, an older edition would likely still be accurate

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:21 am

why not just use the online version on westlaw? it's supposedly the most updated and complete version

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 am

If you have an iPhone, get the app. It's $49, but it works great and even pronounces tough words.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:42 pm

i ended up buying the 3rd edition (currently the latest). since i get massively distracted whenever i open firefox, i needed the print edition. i have to say that it's already been incredibly useful and i foresee it being a tattered, well-loved mess by the end of my law school career.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of the bound version, but the Westlaw interface with it is kinda clumsy. Hopefully it improves with WestlawNext

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:04 pm

f0bolous wrote:why not just use the online version on westlaw? it's supposedly the most updated and complete version

I am really glad I wound up buying a hard copy of this and ignored advice on here to just use it online. Its really nice to be able to look up words as I go through a case without having to do it on the internet. I do a lot of my reading on the train while commuting and having a hard copy makes it infinitely less frustrating (read: no connection on the train).

I guess this is a personal preference thing, but I cant see how looking it up online is more convenient than actually having the book infront of you. its worth the money, just buy it

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”