Frugality in Law School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Knock

Platinum

Re: Frugality in Law School

Post by Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Knockglock wrote:ShopSavvy application on your smartphone. It can read a barcode and then tell you where you can find the item cheaper whether that's online or in a local store. Can't wait to use it, i've just played around with it so far.
Or, instead, don't have a smartphone.
It's worth every penny, easily :mrgreen:.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:01 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
Knockglock wrote:ShopSavvy application on your smartphone. It can read a barcode and then tell you where you can find the item cheaper whether that's online or in a local store. Can't wait to use it, i've just played around with it so far.
Get the new iPod Touch 4g and just use Google Voice for texts and skype for voice if you're always on campus or within a wifi connection. Who the hell needs cellphones now?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
Get the new iPod Touch 4g and just use Google Voice for texts and skype for voice if you're always on campus or within a wifi connection. Who the hell needs cellphones now?
Who the hell is always near a wifi connection?

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Who the hell is always near a wifi connection?
Damned city slickers, that's who.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:56 pm

revolution724 wrote:
I live in the most urban area outside of Manhattan and I still can't find a wifi connection most places.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:
revolution724 wrote:
I live in the most urban area outside of Manhattan and I still can't find a wifi connection most places.
Huh, I guess I don't try looking for wifi outside a whole lot, but I get it at my apartment, at school, in numerous cafes including the three Starbucks within a block of campus, at friends' homes, and I can plug into the network at my internship with an ethernet cable. But then, most of that IS in Manhattan.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:02 am

If you live on the law school campus it most likely is wired for wifi. My undergrad and the ones I have visited friends at were.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 am

St.Remy wrote: wired for wifi
QFLOLZ

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 am

Duralex wrote:
St.Remy wrote: wired for wifi
QFLOLZ
You know .......... the wires that........... go into the signal maker thing? Universities totally have those wires somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:29 am

I'm not actually sure if I could use a wifi device at my school. We have wireless, but it's a weird proxy network. (It's quite possibly possible but figuring it out would be a bit too technical, and involved, for me.)

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:57 am

St.Remy wrote: You know .......... the wires that........... go into the signal maker thing? Universities totally have those wires somewhere.
Yes they do. Still, the idea of being wired for wireless made me laugh.
Last edited by Duralex on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickyMack

New

Post by RickyMack » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:19 am

zeth006 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Don't go to bar review and cut your living expenses in half.
My school's clubs sponsor our version of bar review.
bar review for me is checking what beer is on tap, man that's gonna kill my wallet.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:03 am

RickyMack wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Don't go to bar review and cut your living expenses in half.
My school's clubs sponsor our version of bar review.
bar review for me is checking what beer is on tap, man that's gonna kill my wallet.
Just so you know, I'm pretty sure that this is also what everyone else is talking about when they refer to bar review.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
revolution724 wrote:
100%.
I know of people who live in the dorms and just don't leave campus except to get stuff like McDonalds or go to Walmart - both of which have wifi.

Either way, saving 50-100 bucks a month, 600-1200/year doesn't sound too bad.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:15 pm

revolution724 wrote:
On campus grounds, it's crazy fast unless you're inside some of the on-campus rooms with super thick sound-insulating walls. I'm actually strongly leaning toward getting the iPod Touch 4 when it comes out. I didn't think about skype, but now that someone mentioned it, that's definitely a huge plus.

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:37 pm

presh wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:I don't take showers or wash my clothes. Hell, I just live there. No sense in paying rent. If you hide in the AC vents in the bathroom at closing time no one will ever know. Shhh.
I knew a guy in undergrad who secretly lived in a room in one of the campus buildings. He got a PT job as a janitor, copied the key, and found this hidden room no one used. Nobody found him until he moved his stuff out 4 years later.

Actually, in a building as confusing as Boalt, I could probably do that.
If true (and I am skeptical - sounds like an urban legend), he should write a blog/book about it. I would read that.
My first year of undergrad I stayed in the union building for two weeks, until they could find me a dorm. Just had to be up before the person who opened got there. I probably could've managed all year no problem.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:42 pm

lsatClay wrote:
presh wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:I don't take showers or wash my clothes. Hell, I just live there. No sense in paying rent. If you hide in the AC vents in the bathroom at closing time no one will ever know. Shhh.
I knew a guy in undergrad who secretly lived in a room in one of the campus buildings. He got a PT job as a janitor, copied the key, and found this hidden room no one used. Nobody found him until he moved his stuff out 4 years later.

Actually, in a building as confusing as Boalt, I could probably do that.
If true (and I am skeptical - sounds like an urban legend), he should write a blog/book about it. I would read that.
My first year of undergrad I stayed in the union building for two weeks, until they could find me a dorm. Just had to be up before the person who opened got there. I probably could've managed all year no problem.
I wasn't familiar with the term Union Building so I looked it up. As it turns out, I think we all could've managed to stay here for a year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Buildings

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Campus Union Building. Its just a big building on campus where students hang out. Houses a lot of administrive stuff. Mine had comfortable couches, flatscreen tvs, a x-box 360, a number of restaurants, it was a cool as place to stay.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:46 pm

zeth006 wrote:
revolution724 wrote:
On campus grounds, it's crazy fast unless you're inside some of the on-campus rooms with super thick sound-insulating walls. I'm actually strongly leaning toward getting the iPod Touch 4 when it comes out. I didn't think about skype, but now that someone mentioned it, that's definitely a huge plus.
Yep. Between Skype and Google Voice for voicemail and SMS, you have it covered.

Talking about Google Voice, I guess this isn't a bad place to bring it up:

I always give out my Google Voice instead of my real phone number. I group people up depending where I know them from: Family, friends, classmates, etc.

I setup a schedule which blocks certain groups at certain times. I also block people selectively which I do not wish to talk to.

Don't want people calling me during class? I send them directly to my voicemail according my schedule.

Works out nice.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:55 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:Drive a scooter, 70mpg, so much more fun than a car- i've spent about 12 dollars on gas since august 10th and I live 5ish miles from the school

buy a computer as good as a mac without the premium for "cool"- 300 bucks saved right there

Not ever getting drunk helps, a glass of merlot at dinner and then back to studying for me!

cheap hobbies- mainly fantasy football and racquetball

shop at thrift stores to develop indie look- I see close to 80-90 polo shirts a day, so this one is more out of spite
Skoobs always delivers the lulz

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Its also possibly to live in the library that has parts of it open 24hrs. Save a ton on rent and it would make for a pretty awesome story down the line.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 pm

merc280 wrote:Its also possibly to live in the library that has parts of it open 24hrs. Save a ton on rent and it would make for a pretty awesome story down the line.
At my campus, the Medical library is open 24/7. I wouldn't fall asleep there.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
merc280 wrote:Its also possibly to live in the library that has parts of it open 24hrs. Save a ton on rent and it would make for a pretty awesome story down the line.

yeah that's pretty much close to living homeless. Plus if someone gets an internship in big law, that pretty much allows them to pay a good chunk of their living expenses for three years.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:32 pm

merc280 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

yeah that's pretty much close to living homeless. Plus if someone gets an internship in big law, that pretty much allows them to pay a good chunk of their living expenses for three years.
Well, of course you'd be living homeless. But, you might end up as the next exhibit to a bunch of aspiring surgeons, too.

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 pm

St.Remy wrote:
mac.empress wrote:[*] Go to campus parties and have other friends pay for the off campus ones.
I'm all for saving money but this is a dick move.
I'm a girl. This is totally doable. They wanna see me, they pay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”