OCI Interviewer Taking Quesitons. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PwnLaw

Bronze

Re: OCI Interviewer Taking Quesitons.

Post by PwnLaw » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Bosque wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:
Bosque wrote:I would like to reiderate the thank you's after callbacks question. What is your opinion on them? Also, if you want to see them, would you rather get an email or a letter/thank you card?

Also, now I am curious where you work, as I am extremely interested in video game law (Seriously interested, not interested as a tourist-EE with programing experience looking to do IP, and also still a gamer). I understand if you cannot disclose that though, even in private message.
Think I answered this before. I don't much care about whether I receive a thank you. I have already submitted my feedback to the recruiting committee by the time they come in generally. On the whole, I generally think they're more likely to hurt you than help you.

As for tracking me down -- it's pretty easy with a bit of research. I've already talked to 5-6 people on the board.
Hmm... well what about just for your perception of the person? The big reason I have been sending thank you notes is not because I think it will help me actually get a job, but because I would like to be courteous to the people I will work with and (possibly even more importantly) the people I might end up across the table from some day. I am genuinely thankful that these people took the time out of their day to talk to me, and I would like them to know it. In that sense, it doesn't really matter if the note gets there before the interviewer submits it, because the effect is on more of the long term relationship. If you still don't care, do you get the sense that some people might? I know that if I were in the interviewer's shoes, I like you would not really let a thank you letter (or the absence of one) effect my recommendation for hiring. However, the person who sent one would have a leg up on my internal list of folks I wouldn't mind dealing with on a daily basis.
You're over thinking it. By the time you come back, it'll be 9 months later and I really won't remember who sent me what at what point. Is it polite? Yes. Did I do it? Yes. Being on the other side of the fence now, does it matter to me? Not really.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:27 pm

savagedm wrote:Being a lifelong gamer and transplanting from SoCal up to Seattle, I am curious if you know much about the industry up here? I know the tech market on the whole is insane in Seattle but I have not had much of a chance to research the gamelaw market up here. The kind of an environment a firm in this industry would provide is a huge plus in my book as I am typically laid back but take work seriously and a job that is super uptight isnt necessarily on my short list. Thanks!
Certainly some game work up there. Lots of small studios and casual game companies up there. There isn't really a firm with a built out game practice (that's hard to sustain out of California currently), but you could end up with some game work. Perkins comes to mind.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:37 pm

PwnLaw wrote:
savagedm wrote:Being a lifelong gamer and transplanting from SoCal up to Seattle, I am curious if you know much about the industry up here? I know the tech market on the whole is insane in Seattle but I have not had much of a chance to research the gamelaw market up here. The kind of an environment a firm in this industry would provide is a huge plus in my book as I am typically laid back but take work seriously and a job that is super uptight isnt necessarily on my short list. Thanks!
Certainly some game work up there. Lots of small studios and casual game companies up there. There isn't really a firm with a built out game practice (that's hard to sustain out of California currently), but you could end up with some game work. Perkins comes to mind.
Ahh yeah i figured it is an extremely miniscule industry here. I do like that its just about as laid back as Cali though, so who knows?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”