Inn of The Courts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tarheel87

Bronze

Inn of The Courts

Post by tarheel87 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Worth it? Especially as a 1L?

IzziesGal

Silver

Re: Inn of The Courts

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Some attorneys from my 1L summer job belonged to this. It seems like a lot of fun and a great way to network. Would you be working with practicing attorneys as a 1L, or is it only a 1L division? If it's with practicing attorneys, I'd say it might be worth it. I admittedly don't know much about it, though. :D

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm

http://www.innsofcourt.org/

A quick reading makes me vote no. Certainly not as a 1L. Maybe later, in years 2 and 3, when you have more time.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 am

legalease9 wrote:Maybe later, in years 2 and 3, when you have more time.
hahaha

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:23 am

Yes, join, go, will be the best thing for your carear and getting a job. I joined as a 1L and have been in the same inn for like going on six years now. Every single job offer I had came from or was from a referal from an Inn member.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:49 pm

Matthies wrote:Yes, join, go, will be the best thing for your carear and getting a job. I joined as a 1L and have been in the same inn for like going on six years now. Every single job offer I had came from or was from a referal from an Inn member.
Matthies, since you know a lot about this -- can you join that isn't affiliated with your school? I went to the website and the ones in my school's area that are affiliated with my school have Legal Specialties that I'm not qualified for (IP) or not interested in (Environmental). There are two others that are unspecified/more broad, but they are affiliated with specific schools (each are only affiliated with one school and that school is not mine). If not, should I join one of the specialized ones anyway (there is a third specialized unaffiliated one that is something I'm at least vaguely interested in, but I'd prefer something more broad).

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Matthies wrote:Yes, join, go, will be the best thing for your carear and getting a job. I joined as a 1L and have been in the same inn for like going on six years now. Every single job offer I had came from or was from a referal from an Inn member.
So glad to hear you say that! I thought about it for several days before joining the Inn at my school but I still wasn't sure it was going to be worth the money. Do you have any good tips for those of us just joining? I have no idea what to expect other than "a meeting followed by a formal dinner" several times over the year.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:43 pm

keg411 wrote:
Matthies, since you know a lot about this -- can you join that isn't affiliated with your school? I went to the website and the ones in my school's area that are affiliated with my school have Legal Specialties that I'm not qualified for (IP) or not interested in (Environmental). There are two others that are unspecified/more broad, but they are affiliated with specific schools (each are only affiliated with one school and that school is not mine). If not, should I join one of the specialized ones anyway (there is a third specialized unaffiliated one that is something I'm at least vaguely interested in, but I'd prefer something more broad).
Try contacting the people listed as contacts for the Inns and ask them. All of the Inns here are not affiliated with a specific practice area or school, although some have names that would tend to lead you to think they would be, they actually are not (at least here) best way would be e-mail them and ask and ask if they suggest an Inn for just general lawyers.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:45 pm

enygma wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Maybe later, in years 2 and 3, when you have more time.
hahaha

I got a real kick out that, as well...very obviously written by someone that has yet to experience 2L fall.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:48 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:
So glad to hear you say that! I thought about it for several days before joining the Inn at my school but I still wasn't sure it was going to be worth the money. Do you have any good tips for those of us just joining? I have no idea what to expect other than "a meeting followed by a formal dinner" several times over the year.
Well each Inn will have its own methods, basically you met for dinner and a presentation (most Inns have a theme for the year like "professionalism" or whatever and the presentations will be on that subject). The best advice is go and get involved, try and talk to a new persons at each meeting, over the course of a year or two you will find a core group that you click with (and many that you don't) and just go from there. Don't be a wallflower, ask questions, becomes involved and before you know it you will have lots of friends in the legal profession.

The nice thing about joining an Inn as a law steunst is you can get away with allot of things and being friends with Judges/Partners ect. that you can't allways do once you start practicing, as a law student you have a pass to ask questions and get to know people that as an associate won't allways be there.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:56 pm

Also check with your CSO offcie, they may have etbslisted relationships with certian Inns already.

And to Para's comment, from what I have seen, at least here, there is a direct correlation between becoming a mover/shaker and being ivloved in the community (both legal and non-legal). All of these people in the Inns know each other and have known each other for years, tapping into that one path to becoming a mover/shaker it seems.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”