Starting Contracts with remedies???

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby DeSimone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:16 am

All we've been discussing in the first week of contracts is remedies... WTF? Would it not make sense to begin with what a contract is, how and why it's formed, its elements, what laws govern different kinds?

I happened to know some of it from my undergrad, but is everyone expected to come into law school with that knowledge or is the class goddamned ass backward as fuck?

Sorry, anxious 1L ranting ITT.

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby solidsnake » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:36 am

Some casebooks do that. Learn the endgame first and all that. If you can really understand remedies and all the interests involved, formation, interpretation, defenses will all be a cakewalk. Now stop bitching on tls and go back to your carrel.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 am

DeSimone wrote:All we've been discussing in the first week of contracts is remedies... WTF? Would it not make sense to begin with what a contract is, how and why it's formed, its elements, what laws govern different kinds?

I happened to know some of it from my undergrad, but is everyone expected to come into law school with that knowledge or is the class goddamned ass backward as fuck?

Sorry, anxious 1L ranting ITT.


My 1L class was the same way. Have faith, it'll make sense soon.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby DeSimone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:45 am

solidsnake wrote:Some casebooks do that. Learn the endgame first and all that. If you can really understand remedies and all the interests involved, formation, interpretation, defenses will all be a cakewalk. Now stop bitching on tls and go back to your carrel.

I am in my carrel.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:47 am

My casebook actually explained why we're starting remedies, and to me it totally made sense.

lawstudent21
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby lawstudent21 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:25 am

Last year I began with remedies. Unfortunately, it just made me confused. I ended up reading through the K formation issues in supplements, which in turn gave me the foundation so that I could understand the material about remedies in class. I also found the law in a flash cards helpful.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby revolution724 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:38 am

Silly 1L, still questioning the logic of things. It'll go much easier for you once you accept that it doesn't matter why the course is organized that way - that's the way it's organized, and your job is to suck it up run with it.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby DeSimone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:53 am

got it. stfu'ing.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby TTH » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:57 pm

I sympathize. My Civ Pro professor has us doing joinder right now.

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby rynabrius » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:14 pm

TTH wrote:I sympathize. My Civ Pro professor has us doing joinder right now.


That's permitted, but not compulsory.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby revolution724 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:35 pm

rynabrius wrote:
TTH wrote:I sympathize. My Civ Pro professor has us doing joinder right now.


That's permitted, but not compulsory.


O snap.

User avatar
Zugzwang
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby Zugzwang » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:35 pm

In chess, you should learn the endgame before you learn the opening so you know what you're getting yourself into once you start studying openings.

Same applies to contracts.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby traehekat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Chirelstein does the same thing. The idea is that it is important to know what exactly you are litigating for in the first place.

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby Duralex » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:19 am

FWIW, reasoning back to the facts from the desired remedy (or different possible remedies) is often what lawyers actually do. Not that most law profs want to hear that.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Starting Contracts with remedies???

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 am

My class also started this way, and this was the order of the textbook, it's not as if the prof took it out of order.

This is the class I would say I am "least" in tune with right now, so I'm hoping some dots start connecting soon.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests