Thinking of not using a laptop--mistake? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Is it stupid not to bring a laptop to class.

Yes...idiot
21%
No...
79%

Total votes: 19

Cupidity

Gold

Thinking of not using a laptop--mistake?

Post by Cupidity » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:48 am

What is the TLS opinion on this? My thought process is this--writing the notes then typing them up after class will help me to learn them better, there may be merit to many profs' claim that typing doesn't help you learn, and I know that at some point I'll be on gchat or facebook if I have a laptop.

Is it stupid of me not to bring a laptop to class, even the ones where it is allowed?

And no--I'm not handwriting finals.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Thinking of not using a laptop--mistake?

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:56 am

Cupidity wrote:What is the TLS opinion on this? My thought process is this--writing the notes then typing them up after class will help me to learn them better, there may be merit to many profs' claim that typing doesn't help you learn, and I know that at some point I'll be on gchat or facebook if I have a laptop.

Is it stupid of me not to bring a laptop to class, even the ones where it is allowed?

Many people claim that they preferred writing by hand and didn't mind laptop bans. I don't see anything wrong with your strategy at all. It really just comes down to what you personally feel comfortable with, and if you feel most comfortable writing them by hand and then going back and adding them to your computer notes, then go for it.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:58 am

romothesavior wrote:
Cupidity wrote:What is the TLS opinion on this? My thought process is this--writing the notes then typing them up after class will help me to learn them better, there may be merit to many profs' claim that typing doesn't help you learn, and I know that at some point I'll be on gchat or facebook if I have a laptop.

Many people claim that they preferred writing by hand and didn't mind laptop bans. I don't see anything wrong with your strategy at all. It really just comes down to what you personally feel comfortable with, and if you feel most comfortable writing them by hand and then going back and adding them to your computer notes, then go for it.
TITCR

I'm considering leaving my laptop closed during class because I feel more engaged in my laptop-free class than the others. I like being able to get everything down in my notes, but I know that I'm getting down a lot of things that I won't need.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:15 am

TTH wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

TITCR

I'm considering leaving my laptop closed during class because I feel more engaged in my laptop-free class than the others. I like being able to get everything down in my notes, but I know that I'm getting down a lot of things that I won't need.
I thought about that too, I think come November and outline season, I'll be better off with fewer (assuming they are adequate) notes.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 am

I am used to hand writing notes as well and did the same thing u mentioned through undergrad--hand written notes got transferred to the computer..and as I transferred them I would synthesize the material as well as cut out the stuff I realized wasnt important. I usually had my notes memorized by the time I was finished typing them up. For law school, I take notes on post its in my casebook as I read the case and then take notes in my notebook for class---then I put them into my outline on the computer.

I tried taking notes on the computer for civ pro last class and really prefer hand written.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”