Minimum/maximum plans on studying

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CordeliusX

Minimum/maximum plans on studying

Postby CordeliusX » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:27 pm

I want to work hard and do well like anyone here... but I've been thinking it might be better for me to do more extracurriculars and expect to perform average in terms of grades. I'm not sure I want to invest all that work and stress and quite possibly not get the grades I want. I figure I could stand out better for job prospects if I do a journal and a club or two. And beyond that, not go suicidal and be miserable with my time here. Thoughts??

With that in mind, has anyone (don't know if a thread exists) given thought to a bare-bones work approach which should cover the necessary basics, versus the "optimal" study plan one should follow? I've heard some people basically do nothing then study someone's outline and do fine (not super of course).

As a 1L, I am really trying to get a feel for what's expected, but it's already clear to me that a lot of studying methods are going to yield diminishing returns for the modest hope of acing the class.

king3780

Re: Minimum/maximum plans on studying

Postby king3780 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I want to work hard and do well like anyone here... but I've been thinking it might be better for me to do more extracurriculars and expect to perform average in terms of grades. I'm not sure I want to invest all that work and stress and quite possibly not get the grades I want. I figure I could stand out better for job prospects if I do a journal and a club or two. And beyond that, not go suicidal and be miserable with my time here. Thoughts??

With that in mind, has anyone (don't know if a thread exists) given thought to a bare-bones work approach which should cover the necessary basics, versus the "optimal" study plan one should follow? I've heard some people basically do nothing then study someone's outline and do fine (not super of course).

As a 1L, I am really trying to get a feel for what's expected, but it's already clear to me that a lot of studying methods are going to yield diminishing returns for the modest hope of acing the class.

Can't imagine you could join a journal as a 1L and there really aren't any clubs that are going to be all that helpful. That being said, you can join clubs and still have plenty of time to study... clubs aren't a big time commitment.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 pm

king3780 wrote:Can't imagine you could join a journal as a 1L and there really aren't any clubs that are going to be all that helpful.

Depends what you want to do. I'm in public interest, and did a couple of service/PI related activities during 1L. Every single interview I had for summer internships asked about them and in fact focused on them, and I'm positive they helped me get my placement.

AmicusCuriae

Postby AmicusCuriae » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I want to work hard and do well like anyone here... but I've been thinking it might be better for me to do more extracurriculars and expect to perform average in terms of grades. I'm not sure I want to invest all that work and stress and quite possibly not get the grades I want. I figure I could stand out better for job prospects if I do a journal and a club or two. And beyond that, not go suicidal and be miserable with my time here. Thoughts??

When it comes to job prospects grades are king.

Postby 270910 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:57 pm

1) Grades are king.

2) You will learn soon enough that "effort put into law school / class" and "grade received in law school / class" are often amusingly decoupled. You can't just decide to put in less work and enjoy median grades. Plenty of people grind it out like crazy and get median grades, plenty of people with modest study habits and substantial other commitments knock their exams out of the park. It's about much more than time sheet effort.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:16 pm

disco_barred wrote:2) You will learn soon enough that "effort put into law school / class" and "grade received in law school / class" are often amusingly decoupled. You can't just decide to put in less work and enjoy median grades. Plenty of people grind it out like crazy and get median grades, plenty of people with modest study habits and substantial other commitments knock their exams out of the park. It's about much more than time sheet effort.

Er, I think he already knows that, and is the basis for this entire post?

But anyway... like others have said, OP, doing clubs and other activities as a 1L isn't going to be a huge time commitment. What are you going to do with yourself the rest of the day? You can't even work more than 20 hours a week if you are full time!

As DB said, grades are king. Putting in the hours may not be sufficient, but they are very close to necessary. You might as well study, and shit, you are (probably) paying a ton of money in tuition to be there anyway.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”