My prof's exam is 50% essay, and 50% MC (mostly about cases) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stocksly33

Bronze

My prof's exam is 50% essay, and 50% MC (mostly about cases)

Post by stocksly33 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Most of the MC questions are like "In Ray v Eurice the trial judge used ___________ (some legal scholar) 's theory of contract agreement"

Or "If xxxxxxx vs. yyyyyy had used restatement 72, what would the outcome be?"

How do you prepare for an exam like this? Throughout the semester that is. It's openbook, but not opennotes (so obviously i'm going to brief in the book). Am I really going to have time to go to the book to refresh or read what the cases were about during the exam?

If half of my test is questions and hypo's that all elude to cases... what's the best method for me to prepare for something like that? write notes all over my cases and skim them over and over again? do i need to read the cases even closer, or just keep a good word doc with case summaries and study the case summaries/briefs?

thanks for your thoughts, this format through me for a loop... i didn't think profs asked so many questions about cases
Last edited by stocksly33 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revolution724

Bronze

Re: My prof's exam is 50% essay, and 50% MC (mostly about cases)

Post by revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 pm

A suggestion: tab your casebook so you can flip to sections quickly.

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:28 pm

revolution724 wrote:A suggestion: tab your casebook so you can flip to sections quickly.
oh good idea, thanks. i hope he lets us... i imagine he won't let us attach papers to the book... hopefully tabs are okay

username1

New

Post by username1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I rarely take notes in class but this would be the big exception. Personally, anything he said that could be turned into a multiple choice ? I would take notes.

Also I would still go through the e/e to prepare for the multiple choice section even though the e/e doesn't have any multiple choice. The reason being is a good bit of the e/e hypos parallel cases and cite the case in the answer.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am

stocksly33 wrote:
revolution724 wrote:A suggestion: tab your casebook so you can flip to sections quickly.
oh good idea, thanks. i hope he lets us... i imagine he won't let us attach papers to the book... hopefully tabs are okay
If that's not okay, you could try to work out some system with dogeared pages.

Jarndyce

Bronze

Post by Jarndyce » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:55 am

Make sure you are allowed to use your case book. In all of the exams I have had that had a substantial MC element, case books, etc. were not allowed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”