No Laptops in Class! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
onthecusp

Bronze

No Laptops in Class!

Post by onthecusp » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Just curious how many others have professors who are outright banning laptops in class. It pisses me off that there are professors out there that believe they have a right to dictate which tools I use to learn the material in class. It pisses me off that I have to waste paper printing out briefs to bring to class because of some weird zeitgeist occurring between law professors wishing to take us all back to 1995. It pisses me off that I have to retype notes that I hand wrote in class because my law professor has an aversion to seeing people looking at their computer screens rather than focusing on them during class.

/rant

Sorry about that. Just wondering if this is becoming a growing trend at other schools.

Bgiv

New

Re: No Laptops in Class!

Post by Bgiv » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:01 pm

I have two professors who banned laptops. I was pretty annoyed at first, but I'm using it as a chance to try a new technique on taking notes and see how it works out. Although, one of them is ridiculously boring, making me miss my laptop that much more :(

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:02 pm

I have a prof who "discourages" use of laptops in class, but at least 4/5 of the class still use them anyway. I feel for you.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 pm

--ImageRemoved--

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Record the lecture and rewrite it on your laptop after class?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:21 pm

My LS forbids laptop bans, which is pretty cool!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:23 pm

legalease9 wrote:My LS forbids laptop bans, which is pretty cool!
Brings up a good criteria when choosing a law school, although it doesn't help the OP any.. :/

Also, with a laptop ban, would they expect you to handwrite your final? How archaic.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:28 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Brings up a good criteria when choosing a law school, although it doesn't help the OP any.. :/

Also, with a laptop ban, would they expect you to handwrite your final? How archaic.

I was responding to his question about it becoming a trend.

And yes, handwriting finals would suck!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 pm

legalease9 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

I was responding to his question about it becoming a trend.

And yes, handwriting finals would suck!
Yep, just thought I'd add on to what you said.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Record the lecture and rewrite it on your laptop after class?
So.....write your notes and put them in your laptop after class....

or

Listen to the lecture twice so I could type the notes once in my laptop? C'mon guy.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

For the record, Laptops are allowed for the final, just not for lectures. Also, it's only two professors who have banned laptops, it's not a school policy.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:50 pm

onthecusp wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

For the record, Laptops are allowed for the final, just not for lectures. Also, it's only two professors who have banned laptops, it's not a school policy.
Legalease was talking about the LS taking that option away from the law professors.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Boo-fucking-hoo.

Handwrite notes. It's not the end of the world.

I love that you think you think professors should cater to you. It's their class, they can teach it how they want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:07 am

kalvano wrote:Boo-fucking-hoo.

I love that you think you think professors should cater to you. It's their class, they can teach it how they want.
It's like a chef telling you that you can't take a call in his restaurant. :P

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:28 am

I'm debating on taking notes by hand for a week to see if I retain the info any more than I would by just typing it.

Cardboardbox

Bronze

Post by Cardboardbox » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:50 am

I actually always took notes by hand in college and it's only in LS that I'm starting to go the laptop route. Class doesn't start till monday but one of my profs also banned laptop use. I'm actually thinking this is beneficial, I feel that I'll be able to retain the info better if I write it by hand then rewrite it into my laptop...at least I hope so. The other side of the coin of course is that it could just make it feel like a monumental waste of time.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:14 am

I'm assuming you are a new 1L? Trust me when I say that a couple of weeks into class, when you and everyone else spend all of class on gchat/facebook/youtube etc, you will realize why the professor banned laptops, and realize he is just trying to help all of you get the most out of your very expensive education. Typing up handwritten notes might be a pain, but again, the review is only going to help you. This might unnecessarily "punish" a couple of very conscientious students who wouldn't go online either way, but the professor has to cater to the class as a whole.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:41 am

Last edited by thorntll on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:24 am

thorntll wrote:At Chicago, they blocked the internet in the classrooms. I actually think it's a good idea. I am forced to pay attention, but can still use my laptop.
I hand wrote for my first semester, then I started using my laptop the second semester. The laptop is much more efficient IMHO.

Banning the internet, in my case, would stink because I type my notes directly into a Google Doc, but it is probably a good idea in general.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:01 am

jne381 wrote:
thorntll wrote:At Chicago, they blocked the internet in the classrooms. I actually think it's a good idea. I am forced to pay attention, but can still use my laptop.
I hand wrote for my first semester, then I started using my laptop the second semester. The laptop is much more efficient IMHO.

Banning the internet, in my case, would stink because I type my notes directly into a Google Doc, but it is probably a good idea in general.
Text editor + Dropbox. Will sync next time you have an internet connection.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:28 am

My K's professor banned laptops, but I actually like it. Not enough not to use my laptop in other classes, but I remember more from that class than my others.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:36 am

Come on Kal... we pay their salaries, and it is our legal education (and 100,000s of dollars) to waste. I do feel like they should cater to us to some degree.

I'd alter RP's analogy just a bit: It would be like going to a restaurant and the chef not taking any special orders or alterations to your order. Is that within the chef's right to do so? Yep. But it is still a pretty lame policy.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:50 am

ResolutePear wrote:
jne381 wrote:

Text editor + Dropbox. Will sync next time you have an internet connection.
I'm using Dropbox. Safety net in case of a computer crash.

Also, some of my profs have said they've considered banning laptops, but are letting us be since we're 1L's. At least one said he'd reconsider letting us use them if he saw that we were on the internet during class (the lectures here are recorded by video, but the way the shot is set up, you can see if the students who are using laptops are playing on FB/the internet).

I wish they would just ban the internet in classrooms. I took a course at a college a couple of years ago and they did there. Right now I just turn off my AirPort so I'm not even tempted.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:05 am

I have multiple professors who banned laptops in class. I don't mind though. I remember more when I take notes by hand. Not like I can't just plug it into OneNote as soon as class ends.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Come on Kal... we pay their salaries, and it is our legal education (and 100,000s of dollars) to waste. I do feel like they should cater to us to some degree.

I'd alter RP's analogy just a bit: It would be like going to a restaurant and the chef not taking any special orders or alterations to your order. Is that within the chef's right to do so? Yep. But it is still a pretty lame policy.
Pretty much.

I've never been good at analogies. It's like a unicorn strapped to a rocket with me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”