Finding Outlines for Courses Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
siaynoqq

New

Finding Outlines for Courses

Post by siaynoqq » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Assuming you can't find a 2L or 3L who is willing to share or, even if you can, the shared material isn't of sufficient quality, where else can one turn?

I've heard in passing there are online databases of outlines for courses. I couldn't find anything after some googling, so here I am.

(Before I get attacked, I have already began working on my own outlines. I'd just like something good to contrast with to make sure I've left nothing out, or maybe see how one can efficiently condense some rather complex material.)

zeth006

Silver

Re: Finding Outlines for Courses

Post by zeth006 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 pm

siaynoqq wrote:Assuming you can't find a 2L or 3L who is willing to share or, even if you can, the shared material isn't of sufficient quality, where else can one turn?

I've heard in passing there are online databases of outlines for courses. I couldn't find anything after some googling, so here I am.

(Before I get attacked, I have already began working on my own outlines. I'd just like something good to contrast with to make sure I've left nothing out, or maybe see how one can efficiently condense some rather complex material.)
There should be clubs with outline databases.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Yeahhh, now's a good time to practice your networking skills.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:26 am

outlinedepot.com

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:31 am

zeth006 wrote:
siaynoqq wrote:Assuming you can't find a 2L or 3L who is willing to share or, even if you can, the shared material isn't of sufficient quality, where else can one turn?

There should be clubs with outline databases.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 am

siaynoqq wrote:I couldn't find anything after some googling, so here I am.
I just Googled "Torts Outline" and within the first ten hits found solid outlines from the Student Bar Association databases of Boalt, the University of Washington, and American. Googling "Civ Pro Outline" yields similar results. Try harder.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:32 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
siaynoqq wrote:I couldn't find anything after some googling, so here I am.
I just Googled "Torts Outline" and within the first ten hits found solid outlines from the Student Bar Association databases of Boalt, the University of Washington, and American. Googling "Civ Pro Outline" yields similar results. Try harder.
I'm starting to realize that it takes time and skill to hone one's Google-fu. I can find things in thirty seconds that make other people give up in frustration, and I think it's from having figured out how to write search terms from wasting so much time surfing the web.

Here's a thought, too - Google your professor's name and the subject, like "Jacobson Torts" or something like that. You might find some people who've had your class before, which is more useful than general-interest outlines, since your prof will test what he or she teaches and that may not exactly coincide with what you find in an outline not based on that professor's class specifically.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:42 pm

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Talk to some 2L's and 3L's. You'd be surprised at how willing, if not outright eager they are to share some wisdom and outlines with a noob. One 3L I ran into randomly at the library other day as an example told me stories of how familiarizing yourself with the outline trends in your class can go a mile.

One year, a visiting prof from Boalt more or less rehashed her entire property course she'd already taught at her original school, which meant practically everyone in the 3L's section had the same Boalt property outline that one Boalt student made. The obvious downside of this was that it was harder to get better than a B since, well, everyone in the class was better prepared.

I hear there's also a very popular torts outline floating around at my school that's also contributed to harsher curves. :?

Moral of the story: (1) Talk to some 2Ls/3Ls (2) Stick an ear out occasionally to gauge the latest outline trends

/Captain Obvious, /cool story bro

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”