outlines on onenote? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Gold

outlines on onenote?

Post by goosey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm new to this and like the notebook thing, so I made a tab for outlines, but can't figure out how to outline in there..I suck at outlining on word too but have found a way to make it bearable (I don't like their template-y things because I never understand how to get it at the tier I want with the right symbol) but anyway, so I manually do it on word and have found it works fine. I would like to outline on onenote and keep it all in the same notebook though, any advice?

zeth006

Silver

Re: outlines on onenote?

Post by zeth006 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:29 pm

If you're on the same semester system I'm on, it's only been a week.

But as a 1L, I'm just picking up old outlines and seeing out they organized their info and incorporated cases. A case summary on an outline at times can be no more than 2-3 lines. All my old outlines have been on Word and I'm guessing that was for printing purposes.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:09 pm

zeth006 wrote:If you're on the same semester system I'm on, it's only been a week.

But as a 1L, I'm just picking up old outlines and seeing out they organized their info and incorporated cases. A case summary on an outline at times can be no more than 2-3 lines. All my old outlines have been on Word and I'm guessing that was for printing purposes.

yeah it has been a week but we finished sections that I want to outline before they get rusty in my mind. I did torts on word and it worked out..was just trying to see if I can put them all in onenote or not...

username1

New

Post by username1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:10 pm

Good for you for giving onenote a shot - onenote will anticipate your bulleting, roman numerals etc.. So just click in the page and start typing away. You will get used to it very quickly. Another nice thing, for your briefs, you can "copy link" and paste the link into your outline. This is a nice time saver. It also rocks in search capabilities. Everyone will be struggling to find an old rule/case while you can search all of onenote and find it in seconds.

I personally stay away from the traditional outlining format (ie roman numerals). I tend to just bullet list items under a large, bolded title (i.e. assault, battery, false imprisonment, etc..) list the rules, add a sentence or two about the relevant case/holding and end the section with short hypos (from class and e/e) and multiple choice. This way when I go back to hit the info for review I am also looking at the multiple choice/hypos I did.

Do what works best for you, maybe experiment a bit, and don't get caught up on how it looks. You want function over style here.

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:19 pm

goosey wrote:I'm new to this and like the notebook thing, so I made a tab for outlines, but can't figure out how to outline in there..I suck at outlining on word too but have found a way to make it bearable (I don't like their template-y things because I never understand how to get it at the tier I want with the right symbol) but anyway, so I manually do it on word and have found it works fine. I would like to outline on onenote and keep it all in the same notebook though, any advice?
The only negative of outlining in OneNote is if you want to print - it has a mind of its own in terms of page layout when you try to print and when you try to cut and paste or import into Word the outline formatting gets all messed up too... just something to keep in mind if you think you'll want to print out your outlines eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:09 pm

ChattelCat wrote:
goosey wrote:I'm new to this and like the notebook thing, so I made a tab for outlines, but can't figure out how to outline in there..I suck at outlining on word too but have found a way to make it bearable (I don't like their template-y things because I never understand how to get it at the tier I want with the right symbol) but anyway, so I manually do it on word and have found it works fine. I would like to outline on onenote and keep it all in the same notebook though, any advice?
The only negative of outlining in OneNote is if you want to print - it has a mind of its own in terms of page layout when you try to print and when you try to cut and paste or import into Word the outline formatting gets all messed up too... just something to keep in mind if you think you'll want to print out your outlines eventually.
Yeah. I've been starting up a Civ Pro outline. Since it's no more than a couple of pages, it won't be a problem, but I guess this serves as a reminder that I'll have to start separating my outline from my OneNote doc for some classes.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:58 pm

I have been OneNote'ing like a fiend lately and have worried about this printing issue. At this point, I have decided that there would be many things worse than spending an hour or two retyping an outline in Word later if it's absolutely necessary.

Really...could it be so bad to retype everything that's important just once more in the time immediately before finals?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 pm

I'm casting my outline net pretty wide in OneNote now in an separate outline tab. When it comes to making the real deal, I'll be trying to condense it down into Word. I'm afraid of running into printing issues as well, so I'm just going to avoid the issue entirely. Seems to be the easiest solution.

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 pm

jkay wrote:I have been OneNote'ing like a fiend lately and have worried about this printing issue. At this point, I have decided that there would be many things worse than spending an hour or two retyping an outline in Word later if it's absolutely necessary.

Really...could it be so bad to retype everything that's important just once more in the time immediately before finals?
that's actually what I ended up doing - especially because if you're trying to outline this early, I guarantee you'll have to rewrite it and fill in the missing pieces once you are farther along in the class and have a better idea of what the prof prefers to focus on and what the exam will cover.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:52 pm

jkay wrote:I have been OneNote'ing like a fiend lately and have worried about this printing issue. At this point, I have decided that there would be many things worse than spending an hour or two retyping an outline in Word later if it's absolutely necessary.

Why retype? Isn't it less work to copy/paste your whole one-noted outline and retype/reformat some portions?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:08 am

zeth006 wrote:

Why retype? Isn't it less work to copy/paste your whole one-noted outline and retype/reformat some portions?
Retyping helps me to retain the information better, as well as typing an outline up helps me organize things in my head.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:39 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”