Share 1L Gunner Stories

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby MrKappus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:22 am

soaponarope wrote:"A statement of opinion or belief considered authoritative because of the dignity of the person making it" Blacks Law Dic

On TLS, that person is I, good sir.

Now... back to the matter at hand. Burger, I was only messn around. Relax.


I'm sorry, gotta say it: you misused "dicta." No one here considers authoritative your opinion/belief that your classmate's gay, so it's not dicta. Not even TLS dicta. Sorrrrrry.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby 12262010 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 am

soaponarope wrote:"A statement of opinion or belief considered authoritative because of the dignity of the person making it" Blacks Law Dic

On TLS, that person is I, good sir.

Now... back to the matter at hand. Burger, I was only messn around. Relax.


congratulations, you are retarded.

User avatar
soaponarope
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby soaponarope » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:36 am

MrKappus wrote:
soaponarope wrote:"A statement of opinion or belief considered authoritative because of the dignity of the person making it" Blacks Law Dic

On TLS, that person is I, good sir.

Now... back to the matter at hand. Burger, I was only messn around. Relax.


I'm sorry, gotta say it: you misused "dicta." No one here considers authoritative your opinion/belief that your classmate's gay, so it's not dicta. Not even TLS dicta. Sorrrrrry.



Wait... no one here considers me authoritative? No one? I mean, I have 60 some odd posts! I've been a member to the TLS for almost a year!

No fucking shit Sherlock. It was a J-O-K-E.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:39 am

soaponarope wrote:

Wait... no one here considers me authoritative? No one? I mean, I have 60 some odd posts! I've been a member to the TLS for almost a year!

No fucking shit Sherlock. It was a J-O-K-E F-A-I-L.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby chup » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:58 am

soaponarope wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
soaponarope wrote:"A statement of opinion or belief considered authoritative because of the dignity of the person making it" Blacks Law Dic

On TLS, that person is I, good sir.

Now... back to the matter at hand. Burger, I was only messn around. Relax.


I'm sorry, gotta say it: you misused "dicta." No one here considers authoritative your opinion/belief that your classmate's gay, so it's not dicta. Not even TLS dicta. Sorrrrrry.



Wait... no one here considers me authoritative? No one? I mean, I have 60 some odd posts! I've been a member to the TLS for almost a year!

No fucking shit Sherlock. It was a J-O-K-E.

#11: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Duralex » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:18 am

The only person approaching gunner status (as I see it) in my section comes off as more of a self-professed nerd than a gunner. Though he gets off on pedantic nitpicking, he doesn't seem that competitive about it (more compulsive--he just can't relent when unsatisfied.) And the rest of the frequent participators (which I'm trying to hold myself back from) seem like they are more on the dorky and honestly engaged trip than they seem outright gunnerish. Maybe it will manifest over time, but I haven't seen any early indications of cannibalistic tendencies yet...we'll see what happens as midterm approaches.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby 270910 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:53 am

traehekat wrote:Ugh, can we include this thread itself as a gunner story?


Way too meta.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby charlesjd » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 am

.
Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:31 am

I want to raise my hand, because I'm tired of people missing the point, but I think I'm subconsciously worried that I've missed the point too.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby savagedm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:31 pm

During my property class the professor was explaining how free market politics drive property law. He was specifically avoiding a political arguments and ramifications because it was a discussion he wanted to go over at a later date once we understood the law better. However, there was this one dude who is gunnertastic that insisted on raising his hand, interrupting the professor, and trying to explain for 5 mins why the professor's theory was flawed.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 pm

My section had a notorious gunner who once yelled out at the professor, "You're WRONG!" in the middle of class. I speculate that he was practicing to be a Republican senator.

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby horriblegb » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:21 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:I want to raise my hand, because I'm tired of people missing the point, but I think I'm subconsciously worried that I've missed the point too.


+1

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Duralex » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:33 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:
I want to raise my hand, because I'm tired of people missing the point, but I think I'm subconsciously worried that I've missed the point too.


+1


Yeah. I sometimes want to do this. But I don't. That's not our job. It takes a minute to shake those kind of college habits, but a LS lecture is not a college conference/seminar. This realization appears to be happening for most of the people in my section. I'm trying out a provisional rule of thumb never to offer hypos during in class Q&A--only request clarifications. "Is it that X is so" (or, more basically "what is X") rather than "if X was Y." The idea is that any question I ask should produce some kind of concrete explication of a seemingly ambiguous element of a rule or other distinction of use. Otherwise I will ask the question on my own time. Mercifully, none of us seem to be given to arguing with the prof. (Although one person was line-stepping today.) If I'm having trouble accepting something such that I want to argue about it, I'll linger after class (when usually other people are waiting to air the same objections and the prof can dispense with all of us at once) or send a question via email/go to office hours (which I haven't felt compelled to do yet.)

Is gunnerism supposed to increase over the semester, or is it expected to manifest at its highest levels up front? Can I be pleased that my section is by and large cool, or are people going to get worse?

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Compaq1984 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:00 am

1st day of Legal Writing (20-25 people)...

Supposed to brief a case for class and the prof calls on a student who after a couple seconds makes it very obvious that he doesnt know a whole lot about it... While hes wrapping up his weak effort, this gunner cuts him off in mid sentence with a loud, "NO!...No, No..." [while shaking head in disgust]

Then he proceeds to pull out his 2-pages of notes about the case and recite them for the next 5-10 minutes....[Class is frozen in disbelief]


And... He was rocking a shirt, tie, and the obligatory "gunner" sweater draped over his shoulders...

:roll:

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby usuaggie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:18 am

another section has passed around a good story about a gunner (who gunned at orientation) saying "no, you're reading it all wrong, bro" while another student was talking. apparently, he misquoted a small fact or something, but was spot on the point of the case.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby jkay » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:46 am

During orientation week, a kid vehemently argued with the prof over whether dissenting opinions carried precedential weight.

I actually felt pity for the guy.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:54 am

I'm really looking forward to watching some of these firsthand. Most people at orientation have seemed really down-to-earth and friendly, but I have a feeling that once some of the niceties wear off, people will let their true colors shine. Overall I think my class is fantastic, but I have already spotted a few people who I think could be on my "Gunner Watchlist."

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby legalease9 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:58 am

charlesjd wrote:We are tallying this one girls hand raises, I believe her record in one class so far is 20. Yes, we hate her.

:shock:

Thats a lot of hand raises!

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby rynabrius » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:45 pm

I think people worry way too much about gunner/non-gunner. If you want to raise your hand and ask a question, so long as it is not inane, I think you should do so. I think the "gunner" stigma creates a bimodal distribution of participation, thus exacerbating the 'gunner' problem. In other words, if people weren't so worried about being perceived as gunners, the class would be livelier, and the true gunners wouldn't be so annoying.

Take it from me, I was a gunner.

PS: I much prefer an honest gunner--one who shows up to class on time and prepared, asks good questions, but is not arrogant/filibustering--to a lazy slacker who thinks they are entitled to speak despite quite obviously not preparing. If you're going to make comments like, "Who's Lord Coke? His name is _awesome_," then perhaps silence should be your path to eloquence.

PPS: Regarding hypos--if you can construct good hypos that get at unresolved problems in the caselaw, by all means proffer them if the professor is receptive. One of my hypos more or less made it onto the final exam, and I breezed through that issue. Also, it's fun, and might even turn into a note topic! Just don't feel the "need" to present hypos--in general, don't speak unless you have something interesting to say, and honestly want to learn. If your motive is to impress others, reconsider raising that hand :)
Last edited by rynabrius on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby revolution724 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:59 pm

rynabrius wrote:I think people worry way too much about gunner/non-gunner.


I think people don't quite get the actual point, which is "don't be a dick." If you're smarter, work harder, or have more creative class commentary than your peers, fine, but that doesn't give you license to steamroll over them or to be a know-it-all about it. They're your current and future colleagues, and they'll remember you. A person is not a gunner because he or she is smart or works hard. A person is a gunner because he or she behaves obnoxiously and not collegially.

Perhaps a related point might be that even if you think you understand something better than the professor does or the professor's plainly wrong, the odds of that actually being true are very low, and even if it IS true, you should behave respectfully to professors both because they'll be writing you recommendations and because you'll someday have to behave respectfully to partners and judges who you might also think are completely wrong. There are ways to disagree diplomatically and deferentially, and there are ways to curb the arrogance and acknowledge that if you think the professor is completely wrong, you don't have to blurt it out or get into an argument in the middle of class. Email and private discussions later both have the potential for clearing up misunderstanding and also don't waste your classmates' time.

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby rynabrius » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:00 pm

revolution724 wrote:
rynabrius wrote:I think people worry way too much about gunner/non-gunner.


I think people don't quite get the actual point, which is "don't be a dick." If you're smarter, work harder, or have more creative class commentary than your peers, fine, but that doesn't give you license to steamroll over them or to be a know-it-all about it. They're your current and future colleagues, and they'll remember you. A person is not a gunner because he or she is smart or works hard. A person is a gunner because he or she behaves obnoxiously and not collegially.

Perhaps a related point might be that even if you think you understand something better than the professor does or the professor's plainly wrong, the odds of that actually being true are very low, and even if it IS true, you should behave respectfully to professors both because they'll be writing you recommendations and because you'll someday have to behave respectfully to partners and judges who you might also think are completely wrong.


I agree with all of this. That's why I think the term "gunner" is misleading. It would be better to just call douches douches, and leave the secondary characteristics out of it.

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby solidsnake » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:10 pm

rynabrius wrote:I think people worry way too much about gunner/non-gunner. If you want to raise your hand and ask a question, so long as it is not inane, I think you should do so. I think the "gunner" stigma creates a bimodal distribution of participation, thus exacerbating the 'gunner' problem. In other words, if people weren't so worried about being perceived as gunners, the class would be livelier, and the true gunners wouldn't be so annoying.

Take it from me, I was a gunner.



cr

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Gunners are like obscenity; I know it when I see it.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby charlesjd » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:18 pm

.
Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby charlesjd » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:20 pm

.
Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests