Share 1L Gunner Stories Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
savagedm

Bronze

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Post by savagedm » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I will say the vast majority of people that annoy are straight from UG, FWIW.
Fair observation, I'd say.

Yeah I may be generalizing but literally every annoying person I have encountered in class is from class of '09/'10...So I apologize but I feel justified in being narrow minded simply because my available sample is 100% consistent...

--ImageRemoved--
While I agree with your observation that younger people can be annoying, I find it interesting how each generation of people have such disdain for younger generations and seem to forget that they were once that younger generation to the older crowd; and still are. While you may look at many of us with disdain and annoyance, 2Ls and 3Ls probably view you much the same way, regardless of age. Furthermore, attorneys probably look at law students on the whole as a bunch of ignorant and annoying morons. So judge all you like I suppose, just realize that you are also being judged in return.

ViIIager

Bronze

Post by ViIIager » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Sav, its not a generation vs. generation issue. It's a "wow, I have no real-life experiences, I'm 22, and I'm the smartest person in this room" mentality that gives rise to the gunners that Kobe and trae are referring to.

With experience comes maturity, including the knowledge of when to shut the piehole. Wisdom from the mouths of babes stops at around age 10.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:34 pm

ViIIager wrote:Sav, its not a generation vs. generation issue. It's a "wow, I have no real-life experiences, I'm 22, and I'm the smartest person in this room" mentality that gives rise to the gunners that Kobe and trae are referring to.

With experience comes maturity, including the knowledge of when to shut the piehole. Wisdom from the mouths of babes stops at around age 10.
Most of the time it has nothing to do with "I'm the smartest person in the room." From what I've seen, it's often a "My life experiences have led me to believe this to be reasonably true." Now, if they are shown to be wrong after and they refuse to accept that's a whole different story. But just shutting up and accepting what other people say is counter-intuitive to why any of us are even going to law school. Granted, I am vehemently against taking 5 minutes to explain a 30 second concept, but you get the picture. Let the kids be wrong and learn from it, don't judge them because you were there once as well.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:35 pm

maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?

Lucidity

New

Post by Lucidity » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:44 pm

CordeliusX wrote:maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?
It's called being respectful. If you have a question to satiate your own personal curiosity, don't burden your classmates by wasting time asking the professor during class. Either ask them after class, or go to their office hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Gunner brigade in my torts class today managed to kill about an hour of class time asking superfluous questions. We are currently through 8 pages of our casebook. We had 26 assigned for this first week of class.

After 14 questions on negligence, after which the professor said, each time, "we'll be studying negligence later on in the semester" (we started with intentional torts) you'd think that the 15th question would legitimately ask something related to... INTENTIONAL TORTS. Nope. More negligence.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Dear Greasy-Haired Gunner,
I'm not sure if you didn't get my message or if you did but didn't realize your hair looks that way, or if you construed what I said about not arguing with the professor to mean something entirely different. But going off topic in class while prefacing it with knowing it's off topic and not related and then saying "I AGREE" loudly, just so you can have the last word, when the professor tells you it's not related isn't what I had in mind.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:24 pm

sibley wrote:Dear Greasy-Haired Gunner,
I'm not sure if you didn't get my message or if you did but didn't realize your hair looks that way, or if you construed what I said about not arguing with the professor to mean something entirely different. But going off topic in class while prefacing it with knowing it's off topic and not related and then saying "I AGREE" loudly, just so you can have the last word, when the professor tells you it's not related isn't what I had in mind.
sue him.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 pm

booyakasha wrote:
sibley wrote:Dear Greasy-Haired Gunner,
sue him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Lucidity wrote:

Do profs like that?
It's called being respectful. If you have a question to satiate your own personal curiosity, don't burden your classmates by wasting time asking the professor during class. Either ask them after class, or go to their office hours.
Well I do prefer it to all-out gunners but a lot of times the gunners themselves do this... and I also refuse to believe the SAME people just happen to sit near the prof and ask questions each and every class because they love it so damn much. I guess that's just being a teacher's pet / kiss-up if they don't actually disturb class vocally :?

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 pm

I hate this:

Professor asks a question to the class.
Gunner raises hand.
Professor calls on gunner.
Gunner says "well I actually have a different question....[insert irrelevant and longwinded hypothetical question]"

sarahd

New

Post by sarahd » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Not sure which is worse: those who bring up every imaginable hypo remotely related (or not) to the topic or those who have a personal anecdote to share every single class.

Answer the question if you are asked, raise your hand to ask a relevant question if it seems like it would be useful to the discussion or shut up. I really don't need to know your personal stories in torts.

One of my profs makes other students respond to the stupid hypos posed by classmates...I believe it may cause violence before the end of the semester. I much prefer to roll my eyes than be forced to discuss and argue the facts and outcome of a hypo which is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. If you are going to raise your hand and start with "What if..." then just don't raise your hand and think it through on your own.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Lucidity wrote:

Do profs like that?
Eh... I think it is also respectful not to have a group of ten people hound the professor after class. I've also noticed after just one week that it is ALWAYS the same people who rush to the front of the class to talk to the prof. I had one very quick, very simple question I wanted to ask after class today but I saw the line of ten gunners salivating to pose their hypothetical and I decided to ask it later.

In the end, I think that's the best move. The prof just spent an hour or more lecturing to our dumb asses, I'm sure they could use a little break. If you have a brief question, shoot them an email. If you have a concept that you want to discuss, go to office hours. Just my two cents on that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:06 am

romothesavior wrote:
Lucidity wrote:

Do profs like that?
Eh... I think it is also respectful not to have a group of ten people hound the professor after class. I've also noticed after just one week that it is ALWAYS the same people who rush to the front of the class to talk to the prof. I had one very quick, very simple question I wanted to ask after class today but I saw the line of ten gunners salivating to pose their hypothetical and I decided to ask it later.

In the end, I think that's the best move. The prof just spent an hour or more lecturing to our dumb asses, I'm sure they could use a little break. If you have a brief question, shoot them an email. If you have a concept that you want to discuss, go to office hours. Just my two cents on that.
All due respect, I dont care about the Prof's time... the same as he/she does not really care about my time because they allow nonsense in the classroom and still pick up their checks every other week... The issue you bring up is irrelevant... I am not affected whatsoever by other students asking questions AFTER class; however, I am directly affected by these same questions being asked in class and wasting my (and the class') time. My Crim Law class is currently through about 5 pages of reading through 4 classes although we have been instructed to read about 60 pages.... The direct effect is me/class not getting the direction that we paid for because of stupid gunners/flaggers...

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:43 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Lucidity wrote:

Do profs like that?

All due respect, I dont care about the Prof's time... the same as he/she does not really care about my time because they allow nonsense in the classroom and still pick up their checks every other week... The issue you bring up is irrelevant... I am not affected whatsoever by other students asking questions AFTER class; however, I am directly affected by these same questions being asked in class and wasting my (and the class') time. My Crim Law class is currently through about 5 pages of reading through 4 classes although we have been instructed to read about 60 pages.... The direct effect is me/class not getting the direction that we paid for because of stupid gunners/flaggers...
You've only had to read 60 pages in 4 classes???

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am

Our section gunner has a roll-y bag. And is a guy. He also went to argue with my Torts professor after class yesterday over a statute of all of things. Normally I don't care what people say after class, but it was loud enough that I could hear it and I can't hear.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:16 am

keg411 wrote:Our section gunner has a roll-y bag. And is a guy. He also went to argue with my Torts professor after class yesterday over a statute of all of things. Normally I don't care what people say after class, but it was loud enough that I could hear it and I can't hear.
Ouch. The roll-y bag is the kiss of death.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 am

I love my Torts teacher, in large part because he is really sharp and really articulate. But another reason I love him is that he is intimidating without being condescending, and he does an awesome job of shooting down stupid hypos and pointless detours. Someone will offer up some silly hypo, and he'll say things like, "No, that isn't really what this case is getting at. So we're not going to deal with that." He doesn't do it in a hostile way, but he says it with just enough finality that it keeps the class on track and keeps the gunners at bay.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:45 am

Just had a guy raise his hand and accuse the torts professor of "misreading" the Restatement of Torts.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 am

sibley wrote:Dear greasy-haired gunner:
You have a right to ask excessive questions and make more-than-necessary comments, but PLEASE stop arguing with the civ pro professor about points that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. And please don't keep talking when he's trying to stop you and get the class back on track. Srsly.

BLS???????

edit: nvm, u go to gw. but omg theres a kid in my section fitting above description.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:31 am

JOThompson wrote:Just had a guy raise his hand and accuse the torts professor of "misreading" the Restatement of Torts.
lulz, that's probably the LAST professor you want to accuse of misreading something, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:15 pm

JOThompson wrote:Just had a guy raise his hand and accuse the torts professor of "misreading" the Restatement of Torts.
Nice...

--ImageRemoved--

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm

goosey wrote:
sibley wrote:Dear greasy-haired gunner:
You have a right to ask excessive questions and make more-than-necessary comments, but PLEASE stop arguing with the civ pro professor about points that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. And please don't keep talking when he's trying to stop you and get the class back on track. Srsly.

BLS???????

edit: nvm, u go to gw. but omg theres a kid in my section fitting above description.
That's because there's a kid like that in everybody's section.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 am

There is a guy in my section who has asked a question to the professor at least 4 times in every single class since the very first class. His questions are in a very slow, laborous speech that drag on for a good minute or two and then usually require a yes or no response from the professor. One professor finally used a "real teacher" technique and said "good question, please see me after class with that and any future similiar questions."

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:23 am

romothesavior wrote:I love my Torts teacher, in large part because he is really sharp and really articulate. But another reason I love him is that he is intimidating without being condescending, and he does an awesome job of shooting down stupid hypos and pointless detours. Someone will offer up some silly hypo, and he'll say things like, "No, that isn't really what this case is getting at. So we're not going to deal with that." He doesn't do it in a hostile way, but he says it with just enough finality that it keeps the class on track and keeps the gunners at bay.
In my torts class gunners can't even start because the professor asks so many questions or keeps talking to the same person.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”