Share 1L Gunner Stories

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby savagedm » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I will say the vast majority of people that annoy are straight from UG, FWIW.


Fair observation, I'd say.



Yeah I may be generalizing but literally every annoying person I have encountered in class is from class of '09/'10...So I apologize but I feel justified in being narrow minded simply because my available sample is 100% consistent...

--ImageRemoved--


While I agree with your observation that younger people can be annoying, I find it interesting how each generation of people have such disdain for younger generations and seem to forget that they were once that younger generation to the older crowd; and still are. While you may look at many of us with disdain and annoyance, 2Ls and 3Ls probably view you much the same way, regardless of age. Furthermore, attorneys probably look at law students on the whole as a bunch of ignorant and annoying morons. So judge all you like I suppose, just realize that you are also being judged in return.

ViIIager
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby ViIIager » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Sav, its not a generation vs. generation issue. It's a "wow, I have no real-life experiences, I'm 22, and I'm the smartest person in this room" mentality that gives rise to the gunners that Kobe and trae are referring to.

With experience comes maturity, including the knowledge of when to shut the piehole. Wisdom from the mouths of babes stops at around age 10.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby savagedm » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:34 pm

ViIIager wrote:Sav, its not a generation vs. generation issue. It's a "wow, I have no real-life experiences, I'm 22, and I'm the smartest person in this room" mentality that gives rise to the gunners that Kobe and trae are referring to.

With experience comes maturity, including the knowledge of when to shut the piehole. Wisdom from the mouths of babes stops at around age 10.


Most of the time it has nothing to do with "I'm the smartest person in the room." From what I've seen, it's often a "My life experiences have led me to believe this to be reasonably true." Now, if they are shown to be wrong after and they refuse to accept that's a whole different story. But just shutting up and accepting what other people say is counter-intuitive to why any of us are even going to law school. Granted, I am vehemently against taking 5 minutes to explain a 30 second concept, but you get the picture. Let the kids be wrong and learn from it, don't judge them because you were there once as well.

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby CordeliusX » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:35 pm

maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Lucidity » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:44 pm

CordeliusX wrote:maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?


It's called being respectful. If you have a question to satiate your own personal curiosity, don't burden your classmates by wasting time asking the professor during class. Either ask them after class, or go to their office hours.

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Baylan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Gunner brigade in my torts class today managed to kill about an hour of class time asking superfluous questions. We are currently through 8 pages of our casebook. We had 26 assigned for this first week of class.

After 14 questions on negligence, after which the professor said, each time, "we'll be studying negligence later on in the semester" (we started with intentional torts) you'd think that the 15th question would legitimately ask something related to... INTENTIONAL TORTS. Nope. More negligence.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby sibley » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Dear Greasy-Haired Gunner,
I'm not sure if you didn't get my message or if you did but didn't realize your hair looks that way, or if you construed what I said about not arguing with the professor to mean something entirely different. But going off topic in class while prefacing it with knowing it's off topic and not related and then saying "I AGREE" loudly, just so you can have the last word, when the professor tells you it's not related isn't what I had in mind.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby 12262010 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:24 pm

sibley wrote:Dear Greasy-Haired Gunner,
I'm not sure if you didn't get my message or if you did but didn't realize your hair looks that way, or if you construed what I said about not arguing with the professor to mean something entirely different. But going off topic in class while prefacing it with knowing it's off topic and not related and then saying "I AGREE" loudly, just so you can have the last word, when the professor tells you it's not related isn't what I had in mind.


sue him.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 pm

booyakasha wrote:
sibley wrote:Dear Greasy-Haired Gunner,
I'm not sure if you didn't get my message or if you did but didn't realize your hair looks that way, or if you construed what I said about not arguing with the professor to mean something entirely different. But going off topic in class while prefacing it with knowing it's off topic and not related and then saying "I AGREE" loudly, just so you can have the last word, when the professor tells you it's not related isn't what I had in mind.


sue him.


180

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby CordeliusX » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Lucidity wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?


It's called being respectful. If you have a question to satiate your own personal curiosity, don't burden your classmates by wasting time asking the professor during class. Either ask them after class, or go to their office hours.


Well I do prefer it to all-out gunners but a lot of times the gunners themselves do this... and I also refuse to believe the SAME people just happen to sit near the prof and ask questions each and every class because they love it so damn much. I guess that's just being a teacher's pet / kiss-up if they don't actually disturb class vocally :?

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 pm

I hate this:

Professor asks a question to the class.
Gunner raises hand.
Professor calls on gunner.
Gunner says "well I actually have a different question....[insert irrelevant and longwinded hypothetical question]"

sarahd
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby sarahd » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Not sure which is worse: those who bring up every imaginable hypo remotely related (or not) to the topic or those who have a personal anecdote to share every single class.

Answer the question if you are asked, raise your hand to ask a relevant question if it seems like it would be useful to the discussion or shut up. I really don't need to know your personal stories in torts.

One of my profs makes other students respond to the stupid hypos posed by classmates...I believe it may cause violence before the end of the semester. I much prefer to roll my eyes than be forced to discuss and argue the facts and outcome of a hypo which is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. If you are going to raise your hand and start with "What if..." then just don't raise your hand and think it through on your own.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Lucidity wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?


It's called being respectful. If you have a question to satiate your own personal curiosity, don't burden your classmates by wasting time asking the professor during class. Either ask them after class, or go to their office hours.


Eh... I think it is also respectful not to have a group of ten people hound the professor after class. I've also noticed after just one week that it is ALWAYS the same people who rush to the front of the class to talk to the prof. I had one very quick, very simple question I wanted to ask after class today but I saw the line of ten gunners salivating to pose their hypothetical and I decided to ask it later.

In the end, I think that's the best move. The prof just spent an hour or more lecturing to our dumb asses, I'm sure they could use a little break. If you have a brief question, shoot them an email. If you have a concept that you want to discuss, go to office hours. Just my two cents on that.

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:06 am

romothesavior wrote:
Lucidity wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?


It's called being respectful. If you have a question to satiate your own personal curiosity, don't burden your classmates by wasting time asking the professor during class. Either ask them after class, or go to their office hours.


Eh... I think it is also respectful not to have a group of ten people hound the professor after class. I've also noticed after just one week that it is ALWAYS the same people who rush to the front of the class to talk to the prof. I had one very quick, very simple question I wanted to ask after class today but I saw the line of ten gunners salivating to pose their hypothetical and I decided to ask it later.

In the end, I think that's the best move. The prof just spent an hour or more lecturing to our dumb asses, I'm sure they could use a little break. If you have a brief question, shoot them an email. If you have a concept that you want to discuss, go to office hours. Just my two cents on that.


All due respect, I dont care about the Prof's time... the same as he/she does not really care about my time because they allow nonsense in the classroom and still pick up their checks every other week... The issue you bring up is irrelevant... I am not affected whatsoever by other students asking questions AFTER class; however, I am directly affected by these same questions being asked in class and wasting my (and the class') time. My Crim Law class is currently through about 5 pages of reading through 4 classes although we have been instructed to read about 60 pages.... The direct effect is me/class not getting the direction that we paid for because of stupid gunners/flaggers...

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:43 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Lucidity wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:maybe this has been addressed BUT-

is there a name for kids quiet as hell in class but annoying line up to chat with professors EACH DAY once class ends?

Do profs like that?


It's called being respectful. If you have a question to satiate your own personal curiosity, don't burden your classmates by wasting time asking the professor during class. Either ask them after class, or go to their office hours.


Eh... I think it is also respectful not to have a group of ten people hound the professor after class. I've also noticed after just one week that it is ALWAYS the same people who rush to the front of the class to talk to the prof. I had one very quick, very simple question I wanted to ask after class today but I saw the line of ten gunners salivating to pose their hypothetical and I decided to ask it later.

In the end, I think that's the best move. The prof just spent an hour or more lecturing to our dumb asses, I'm sure they could use a little break. If you have a brief question, shoot them an email. If you have a concept that you want to discuss, go to office hours. Just my two cents on that.


All due respect, I dont care about the Prof's time... the same as he/she does not really care about my time because they allow nonsense in the classroom and still pick up their checks every other week... The issue you bring up is irrelevant... I am not affected whatsoever by other students asking questions AFTER class; however, I am directly affected by these same questions being asked in class and wasting my (and the class') time. My Crim Law class is currently through about 5 pages of reading through 4 classes although we have been instructed to read about 60 pages.... The direct effect is me/class not getting the direction that we paid for because of stupid gunners/flaggers...

You've only had to read 60 pages in 4 classes???

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby keg411 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am

Our section gunner has a roll-y bag. And is a guy. He also went to argue with my Torts professor after class yesterday over a statute of all of things. Normally I don't care what people say after class, but it was loud enough that I could hear it and I can't hear.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:16 am

keg411 wrote:Our section gunner has a roll-y bag. And is a guy. He also went to argue with my Torts professor after class yesterday over a statute of all of things. Normally I don't care what people say after class, but it was loud enough that I could hear it and I can't hear.


Ouch. The roll-y bag is the kiss of death.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 am

I love my Torts teacher, in large part because he is really sharp and really articulate. But another reason I love him is that he is intimidating without being condescending, and he does an awesome job of shooting down stupid hypos and pointless detours. Someone will offer up some silly hypo, and he'll say things like, "No, that isn't really what this case is getting at. So we're not going to deal with that." He doesn't do it in a hostile way, but he says it with just enough finality that it keeps the class on track and keeps the gunners at bay.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby JOThompson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:45 am

Just had a guy raise his hand and accuse the torts professor of "misreading" the Restatement of Torts.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby goosey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 am

sibley wrote:Dear greasy-haired gunner:
You have a right to ask excessive questions and make more-than-necessary comments, but PLEASE stop arguing with the civ pro professor about points that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. And please don't keep talking when he's trying to stop you and get the class back on track. Srsly.



BLS???????


edit: nvm, u go to gw. but omg theres a kid in my section fitting above description.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby traehekat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:31 am

JOThompson wrote:Just had a guy raise his hand and accuse the torts professor of "misreading" the Restatement of Torts.


lulz, that's probably the LAST professor you want to accuse of misreading something, too.

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:15 pm

JOThompson wrote:Just had a guy raise his hand and accuse the torts professor of "misreading" the Restatement of Torts.


Nice...

--ImageRemoved--

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby revolution724 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm

goosey wrote:
sibley wrote:Dear greasy-haired gunner:
You have a right to ask excessive questions and make more-than-necessary comments, but PLEASE stop arguing with the civ pro professor about points that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. And please don't keep talking when he's trying to stop you and get the class back on track. Srsly.



BLS???????


edit: nvm, u go to gw. but omg theres a kid in my section fitting above description.


That's because there's a kid like that in everybody's section.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby shepdawg » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 am

There is a guy in my section who has asked a question to the professor at least 4 times in every single class since the very first class. His questions are in a very slow, laborous speech that drag on for a good minute or two and then usually require a yes or no response from the professor. One professor finally used a "real teacher" technique and said "good question, please see me after class with that and any future similiar questions."

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Postby Oban » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:23 am

romothesavior wrote:I love my Torts teacher, in large part because he is really sharp and really articulate. But another reason I love him is that he is intimidating without being condescending, and he does an awesome job of shooting down stupid hypos and pointless detours. Someone will offer up some silly hypo, and he'll say things like, "No, that isn't really what this case is getting at. So we're not going to deal with that." He doesn't do it in a hostile way, but he says it with just enough finality that it keeps the class on track and keeps the gunners at bay.


In my torts class gunners can't even start because the professor asks so many questions or keeps talking to the same person.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests