Share 1L Gunner Stories Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
justadude55

Silver

Re: Share 1L Gunner Stories

Post by justadude55 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:09 am

Duralex wrote:And with wit like that your friends don't actually like you? Astounding.
you could have done better than the obvious sarcasm. is that really your best? you're gonna bore your future wife to tears.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:12 am

jayn3 wrote:my favorite gunner so far is the guy who took notes on the names and hobbies of our entire section during orientation introductions. filled up two pages of his legal pad. yup.

This is awesome

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:13 am

The above posts (between Duralex & Justadude) constitute what may be the lamest fight in the history of TLS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:17 am

you're gonna bore your future wife to tears.
I'm not THAT bad in bed. I'll only bore her to SSRIs and emotional detachment.

And yes, I might have done better but ease of obvious sarcasm won out. Especially given the lack of any real dispute.

Arguing in the gunner stories thread is kind of like wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see.
The above posts (between Duralex & Justadude) constitute what may be the lamest fight in the history of TLS.
Nah, I'm pretty sure we're just bored and procrastinating or it would've been nastier.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 am

Duralex wrote:
k i giggled.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:24 am

jayn3 wrote:
Duralex wrote:
k i giggled.
you should get out more.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26 am

justadude55 wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
Duralex wrote:
k i giggled.
you should get out more.
probably true

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:50 am

I'm afraid to post now because justadude55 is just going to make some snarky remark regarding my post.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:08 am

Duralex wrote:

And yes, I might have done better but ease of obvious sarcasm won out. Especially given the lack of any real dispute.

.Arguing in the gunner stories thread is kind of like wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see
Nah, I'm pretty sure we're just bored and procrastinating or it would've been nastier.
lol +1000

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:28 am

I don't think she's a gunner really but we definitely have the old woman who asks like 20 questions every class period and needs EVERYTHING clarified.

She's nice, I've spoken with her. I just wish she'd start skipping class.

We also have the girls who update facebook every twenty minutes talking about how much they're studying.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:36 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I don't think she's a gunner really but we definitely have the old woman who asks like 20 questions every class period and needs EVERYTHING clarified.

She's nice, I've spoken with her. I just wish she'd start skipping class.

We also have the girls who update facebook every twenty minutes talking about how much they're studying.

I agree. I think the term gunner is thrown around too liberally...

I think the majority of annoying people are just people straight from UG that ask dumb questions because they still think class participation counts... The most annoying people in my section consistently make dumb comments and are completely clueless regarding topics discussed in class... Unfortunately, they are just as harmful because they waste massive amounts of time on hypos (etc...) that do not further the class but do end up causing several facepalms per class...

--ImageRemoved--

We should think of a specific category for these people that is just as derogatory as "gunner"...

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:41 am

Compaq1984 wrote: We should think of a specific category for these people that is just as derogatory as "gunner"...
viz. "blowhard," "windbag." (Or "pontificator" if you're feeling charitable.)

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:47 am

Duralex wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote: We should think of a specific category for these people that is just as derogatory as "gunner"...
viz. "blowhard," "windbag." (Or "pontificator" if you're feeling charitable.)
As long as we can agree on something that is LS specific....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 am

How about flagger?

"What? Quasi in who?"
--ImageRemoved--
"WAIT. What about this [non-authority] on this [obscure edge case]?"
"Could you go over that [thing from yesterday] again?"
"I DON'T UNDERSTAND."
--ImageRemoved--

Not that people aren't entitled to do this sometimes, but too much of it can really kill a lecture.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:03 am

Duralex wrote:How about flagger?

"What? Quasi in who?"

"WAIT. What about this [non-authority]?"

"Could you go over that [thing from yesterday] again?"

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND."

Not that people aren't entitled to do this sometimes, but too much of it can really kill a lecture.
I disagree with the notion that asking real questions, even "too many", is a bad thing. By real questions I mean those will help the asker and likely help a lot of other people in the class to better understand the material. I agree that it's annoying when people add their own anecdotes, needlessly attempt to argue with the professor, or come up with inane hypotheticals for no reason. But if you ask me, any of the four examples you came up with are perfectly ok in class. Just my 2 cents.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:13 am

Burger in a can wrote: I disagree with the notion that asking real questions, even "too many", is a bad thing. By real questions I mean those will help the asker and likely help a lot of other people in the class to better understand the material. I agree that it's annoying when people add their own anecdotes, needlessly attempt to argue with the professor, or come up with inane hypotheticals for no reason. But if you ask me, any of the four examples you came up with are perfectly ok in class. Just my 2 cents.
They're OK to a certain point. Especially when about something that was covered in the lecture, rather than something that wasn't (like a note case.) But it can get excessive--especially when most of the class is ready to move on. At some point the lecture needs to continue so it maintains its natural flow and so the class doesn't fall behind. That was the idea behind having a separate category, I think. We're not faulting the motives behind this sort of thing, just the effect it has on the lecture when multiplied beyond a certain point. It results more in a feeling of mild bored frustration than resentment directed at any one person.

There's no way to fully explore every topical segment of the course, and I'd imagine the pacing itself feels alien to people. Maybe this sort of thing will decline as folks adjust to LS and become more comfortable filling in the gaps on their own.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:20 am

Burger in a can wrote:
I disagree with the notion that asking real questions, even "too many", is a bad thing. By real questions I mean those will help the asker and likely help a lot of other people in the class to better understand the material. I agree that it's annoying when people add their own anecdotes, needlessly attempt to argue with the professor, or come up with inane hypotheticals for no reason. But if you ask me, any of the four examples you came up with are perfectly ok in class. Just my 2 cents.
+1 for the work Duralex.. I think that term might stick...
--ImageRemoved--

To Burger, In my very brief experience so far, I have been subject to many more statements compared to actual questions. I think we can tell who is actually asking a question about something relevant and something they are confused about (that is relevant to the topic at hand)...compared to someone who says "My question is..." and then just ends up saying something that does not have nor require an answer...

And further, while the argument is that they are paying $XXX for their education and should be entitled to inquire about whatever they want in class. They should be aware of the reality that there are 80+ other students paying the same amount who want to hear from the Prof. more than they do from their .00001 L classmates... (of course, Im speaking of their questions/statements which can be reasoned out within a few seconds or are completely not relevant)
IMHO.. It is a lack of respect for your fellow classmates...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:40 am

Duralex wrote:
Burger in a can wrote: I disagree with the notion that asking real questions, even "too many", is a bad thing. By real questions I mean those will help the asker and likely help a lot of other people in the class to better understand the material. I agree that it's annoying when people add their own anecdotes, needlessly attempt to argue with the professor, or come up with inane hypotheticals for no reason. But if you ask me, any of the four examples you came up with are perfectly ok in class. Just my 2 cents.
They're OK to a certain point. Especially when about something that was covered in the lecture, rather than something that wasn't (like a note case.) But it can get excessive--especially when most of the class is ready to move on. At some point the lecture needs to continue so it maintains its natural flow and so the class doesn't fall behind. That was the idea behind having a separate category, I think. We're not faulting the motives behind this sort of thing, just the effect it has on the lecture when multiplied beyond a certain point. It results more in a feeling of mild bored frustration than resentment directed at any one person.

There's no way to fully explore every topical segment of the course, and I'd imagine the pacing itself feels alien to people. Maybe this sort of thing will decline as folks adjust to LS and become more comfortable filling in the gaps on their own.
Ok, I agree with what you're saying here, but your example questions were by and large acceptable ones. Requesting a definition for quasi in rem doesn't seem particularly offensive or working against the progress of the class, but I guess that's impossible to know without knowing the context. You amended the second question after my comment, so I won't address that one. I've already been happy that someone asked about something covered in a previous class. And I took the last one to mean you were mocking people for not understanding.

But you clarified, and I understand and agree.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:52 am

Yeah, I was being a little snarky because I was trying to be generic.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:04 pm

I sense anti-straight-from-UG trolling going on in this thread. It's not my fault I'm still young and you're and old bum who took forever to realize they want to go to law school.

....j/k :wink:

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 pm

Don't make me jostle you angrily with my walker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Haha, tbf the vast majority of the friend's I have made are 25+ One has his PhD and taught for three years, and another went to med school and spent one year in residency as a surgeon...so I can only guess how old they are. (I'm 22)

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I sense anti-straight-from-UG trolling going on in this thread. It's not my fault I'm still young and you're and old bum who took forever to realize they want to go to law school.

....j/k :wink:
I will say the vast majority of people that annoy are straight from UG, FWIW.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I will say the vast majority of people that annoy are straight from UG, FWIW.
Fair observation, I'd say.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:53 pm

traehekat wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I will say the vast majority of people that annoy are straight from UG, FWIW.
Fair observation, I'd say.

Yeah I may be generalizing but literally every annoying person I have encountered in class is from class of '09/'10...So I apologize but I feel justified in being narrow minded simply because my available sample is 100% consistent...

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”