IRAC Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
drwho97

New

IRAC

Post by drwho97 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:31 pm

All my professors stress and want our essay responses to be in the IRAC format. Can someone that used this format on a test and did very well comment on this post. I would appreciate advice, tips, examples, links, etc. on this format. Thank you.

Ignatius J. Reilly

New

Re: IRAC

Post by Ignatius J. Reilly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:27 pm

The first issue is whether I should respond to this post. According to the court in Snidley Whiplash v. Stymey Cobota, a board member should respond to posts only where the board member feels s/he can provide a constructive and helpful response. Moreover, as the court in LeGarrette Blount v. Football Helmets clarified, even if a board member feels like s/he can provide a useful he response, the board member need not respond to posts a reasonable board member would consider the post to be facetious, tongue-in-cheek, or otherwise not worthy of the board member's time. As a third year law student, I feel like I have enough of a handle on the IRAC format to be able to give the poster a useful answer. Furthermore, given the tone of the poster's post and his reference to his professors, it appears that the poster is asking a genuine question and seeking a serious answer. Therefore, I should respond to the poster's post.

drwho97

New

Post by drwho97 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:00 pm

wow very well put. Very original and helpful. I was told my professor will be give us essay questions with multiple issues and sub issues. i am not asking for you to post an example of that since it will take a considerable amount of your time to do it, but how would you tackle it?

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Ignatius J. Reilly wrote:The first issue is whether I should respond to this post. According to the court in Snidley Whiplash v. Stymey Cobota, a board member should respond to posts only where the board member feels s/he can provide a constructive and helpful response. Moreover, as the court in LeGarrette Blount v. Football Helmets clarified, even if a board member feels like s/he can provide a useful he response, the board member need not respond to posts a reasonable board member would consider the post to be facetious, tongue-in-cheek, or otherwise not worthy of the board member's time. As a third year law student, I feel like I have enough of a handle on the IRAC format to be able to give the poster a useful answer. Furthermore, given the tone of the poster's post and his reference to his professors, it appears that the poster is asking a genuine question and seeking a serious answer. Therefore, I should respond to the poster's post.
very clever, but i'm a little confused on the interpretation of LGBvFH, and feel you may miss points on typos.

Ignatius J. Reilly

New

Post by Ignatius J. Reilly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Yes, there are definitely typos. I admit, I do not edit my posts on here as I do for briefs, papers, exams, etc. Plus, I am just a bad typer. If you don't know who LeGarrette Blount is, you will not get the reference. It is obviously a fictitious case name. He was the football player from Oregon who punched the player from Boise State after the game last year, and who this year punched his teammate during practice while his teammate was still wearing his helmet. Maybe it's just me, but I find that to be hilarious.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Ignatius J. Reilly wrote:Yes, there are definitely typos. I admit, I do not edit my posts on here as I do for briefs, papers, exams, etc. Plus, I am just a bad typer. If you don't know who LeGarrette Blount is, you will not get the reference. It is obviously a fictitious case name. He was the football player from Oregon who punched the player from Boise State after the game last year, and who this year punched his teammate during practice while his teammate was still wearing his helmet. Maybe it's just me, but I find that to be hilarious.
I liked it. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”