Criminal law case analysis Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rowlf

Bronze

Criminal law case analysis

Post by rowlf » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:50 pm

How to approach the state's position? Obviously, defendant wants as little punishment as possible. But what does the state want? To maximize it?

Basically, how does criminal law warrant a different way of consideration as opposed to civil law classes?

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Re: Criminal law case analysis

Post by UrbanAchievers » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Theories of punishment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punishment

Federal sentencing guidelines:
--LinkRemoved--

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:06 am

I always approached it as the state wanted to get as many possible charges and to go for the most grievous charge possible. Meaning if you were talking about murder, then the state is looking to prove first degree murder (pre-meditation and deliberation) and if that is likely to fail then go for second degree, then manslaughter, etc. Then you try to hook in all possible accomplice, conspiracy and Pinkerton doctrine to tack on even more charges.

That way my strategy and I got through with a solid A. It should be noted my Prof was an ex-NY DA and was very anti defendant, so I am sure that helped :P

rowlf

Bronze

Post by rowlf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks! Very helpful.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Dman wrote:I always approached it as the state wanted to get as many possible charges and to go for the most grievous charge possible. Meaning if you were talking about murder, then the state is looking to prove first degree murder (pre-meditation and deliberation) and if that is likely to fail then go for second degree, then manslaughter, etc. Then you try to hook in all possible accomplice, conspiracy and Pinkerton doctrine to tack on even more charges.

That way my strategy and I got through with a solid A. It should be noted my Prof was an ex-NY DA and was very anti defendant, so I am sure that helped :P

yup! Start from the highest possible chargeable offense then work you way down till it fits!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”