1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stocksly33

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:20 pm

savagecheater wrote:My torts and contracts profs have been laying it on thick with the reading assignments. It's a solid ~5 hours of casebook & hornbook reading combined.

Most people seem to have gotten into the ritual of reading after some class, but some people are going out to bars and such nightly.

I found a good group of guys with whom I share my schedule, so that's helpful. Most people appear to be going on sheer power of highlighting and reading.

Myself, I'm doing casebook reading with briefs, just to be prepared for cold-calls, but I'm supplementing heavily with the hornbooks, which appears to be working nicely.

how many pages of assigned reading do you get per night? I've gotta figure out how to shave time of my assigned readings to make room for hornbooks...

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 pm

I've averaged right around 5 hours a day of work so far.

Torts is easily the easiest. Nothing seems out of my grasp of comprehension though.

My professors are absolutely awesome. Which has been a very pleasant surprise

My biggest shock so far has been cases in that 1. they're not at all uninteresting (pennoyer excluded) and 2. Thanks to the TLS mind molding I haven't had much trouble extracting the relevant info and ignoring the needless details, making them pretty useful and the supplements fairly repetitive.

wpc1532

Postby wpc1532 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:59 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Socratic method isn't that big with my professors. Only half of them use it, and they maybe get to a kid a day. But, I managed to make an idiot of myself all on my own, by raising my hand and saying stuff that is so incredibly wrong, I'll probably never live it down.

This. This was me today. I raised my hand, like a moron, and got savaged (in my mind!) on a missed issue. Ugh.

I feel like in most classes I just get it but in Ks mainly it's a little opaque. I guess since we're reading stuff from the late 1800s now it's a little understandable.

Torts is the best. Prof is great with hypos. He doesn't allow laptops which is a welcome change.

My crim law prof is just fantastic! She's got a nice balance of Socratic method and old-school hippy charm. Wicked smart.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:04 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I'm not sure what I should be learning.

This x1000

heyyitskatie

Postby heyyitskatie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 pm

I despise torts...civ pro and crim seem to be making some sense to me, but I am beyond lost in torts.

I actually really like engaging with the material and am enjoying all the people I'm meeting, but it's been awhile since I've felt this stupid.

orko60

Postby orko60 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 am

I am having a good time so far. I've been reading every case, and briefing heavily, since they are cold calling a LOT of facts in class. Luckily there aren't many cases so far, and I have yet to be called on. The reading hasn't been very heavy, either. Civ Pro just hit us with quite a bit, but not THAT much. I'm coming from working full time and going to school on my two days off, so after that, this feels like a vacation! The professors are all very nice, seem open to help, and some are actually funny. My only problem is that I don't feel like I can start outlining or anything substantive, since I don't think I've really learned anything fully yet. Every course so far just seems to be super basic or overview stuff. Can't wait to really dig into something!

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 am

wow Im surprised at light work loads. Perhaps I am just a productive human being, but I have done nothing but law school this week. Im either in class, or reading for class. Ive slept about 4 hours every night. I think part of this has to do with the structure of my schedule though

thank god for the weekend so I can read ahead and not die the first half of next week

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:56 am

goosey wrote:wow Im surprised at light work loads. Perhaps I am just a productive human being, but I have done nothing but law school this week. Im either in class, or reading for class. Ive slept about 4 hours every night. I think part of this has to do with the structure of my schedule though

thank god for the weekend so I can read ahead and not die the first half of next week

Yeeks. Don't you feel/fear that you're going to burn out??

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:04 pm

goosey wrote:wow Im surprised at light work loads. Perhaps I am just a productive human being, but I have done nothing but law school this week. Im either in class, or reading for class. Ive slept about 4 hours every night. I think part of this has to do with the structure of my schedule though

I've spent a total of 32.4 hours out of class on work in the past 11 days (first week and orienation/pre-class stuff) and I have no idea what else I could have done besides read ahead for the next week to start more work. The fact that you're only sleeping 4 hours a night suggests that you're the opposite of productive or efficient.

My classes are enjoyable, although obtuse at times. In Ks, we've only gone over three cases and they were all about how public policy fits in with the law. It was a supremely useless start.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm

I have found it funny how some of my classmates frantically scribble notes about the facts of certain cases that form the history of the rules we are learning about. Too much extraneous information. The cases are there to see why we have the rule or how it's applied, not because they are important in and of themselves.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Omerta wrote:

I've spent a total of 32.4 hours out of class on work in the past 11 days (first week and orienation/pre-class stuff) and I have no idea what else I could have done besides read ahead for the next week to start more work. The fact that you're only sleeping 4 hours a night suggests that you're the opposite of productive or efficient.

My classes are enjoyable, although obtuse at times. In Ks, we've only gone over three cases and they were all about how public policy fits in with the law. It was a supremely useless start.

yeah that was a typo hahaha. I meant to say maybe i am just NOT a productive human being. typos ftw

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm

rad law wrote:I have found it funny how some of my classmates frantically scribble notes about the facts of certain cases that form the history of the rules we are learning about. Too much extraneous information. The cases are there to see why we have the rule or how it's applied, not because they are important in and of themselves.

+1. As soon as the professor starts talking about the facts, I hear 75% of the class start banging on their keyboards. I'm not 100% sure of what to be looking for yet, but I know I'm not going to have to regurgitate the facts of every cases on the final.

It seems that each case has one or two factors that can shape how the BLL is applied. That's all I'm focusing on right now, so hopefully I'm doing it right.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm

My observations so far:

Doesn't seem so bad. Still getting the hang of briefing basics and itching to start using the more efficient LEEWS briefing method. I'm bit worried about what to do to prep for a prof who tests BLL/Policy/MC/memorization of bullshit facts discussed in ONE class out of many for two minutes. I'm also concerned about becoming more efficient in terms of reading my cases/rules and digesting them without dawdling too much.

People in general are helpful though if you want my honest opinion, I'm still grappling with how to tell whether some of them are being extra nice with an ulterior motive. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:01 pm

My second day of school, contracts class:
Professor walks in a couple minutes before class starts, I am still on the DMV website paying my truck registration. "yo!, is yo! here today?"

-"yes, that's me"

-"Since we read the Lucy v Zehmer case last night, I would like for you to explain the two theories of mutual assent."

Not a terribly difficult question, but I was still completely nervous and my mind blanked a little as I scrambled to get off the DMV website so that I could look at my notes. After a few seconds, I gave an acceptable answer. Thinking I was done, I felt relieved. But I wasn't done. Actually, he continued to question me for the next 42 motherfucking minutes. It was all a blur of me trying to explain the courts reasoning while answering questions about whatever random hypo he proposed.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:07 pm

yo! wrote:My second day of school, contracts class:
Professor walks in a couple minutes before class starts, I am still on the DMV website paying my truck registration. "yo!, is yo! here today?"

-"yes, that's me"

-"Since we read the Lucy v Zehmer case last night, I would like for you to explain the two theories of mutual assent."

Not a terribly difficult question, but I was still completely nervous and my mind blanked a little as I scrambled to get off the DMV website so that I could look at my notes. After a few seconds, I gave an acceptable answer. Thinking I was done, I felt relieved. But I wasn't done. Actually, he continued to question me for the next 42 motherfucking minutes. It was all a blur of me trying to explain the courts reasoning while answering questions about whatever random hypo he proposed.

omg are you serious?!?!? that sounds painful.

thankfully there is none of that in any of my classes. in my crim law class she has a list up telling us what day we will be called on, but even ppl are called on its one or two questions---mostly people just raise their hands. the one class the professor cold calls, when someone struggles he gives them the answer in a funny way like put his notes up against the board right under the word and says "pay no attention to where my notes are placed..." I am pretty happy about my professors haha. theyre all really awesome

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:07 pm

-"yes, that's me"

Whoa. You must've earned your section's "Biggest Balls" award. I would've freaked out.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:27 pm

goosey wrote:

-"yes, that's me"

thankfully there is none of that in any of my classes. in my crim law class she has a list up telling us what day we will be called on, but even ppl are called on its one or two questions---mostly people just raise their hands. the one class the professor cold calls, when someone struggles he gives them the answer in a funny way like put his notes up against the board right under the word and says "pay no attention to where my notes are placed..." I am pretty happy about my professors haha. theyre all really awesome

Yes, absolutely serious. I started talking at 9:00 and wasn't freed until 9:42. The girl that he called on after me actually got yelled at. She couldn't remember the way in which the case that we were talking about had gotten the the appeals court. He slammed his hand on the desk, yelling "you have to remember the procedure! The procedure is the most important thing!" After class, the tutor told us that she was just a victim of his "use of volume for emphasis" rather than him actualy being upset. lol With all of that said, he really does appear to be a pretty nice guy outside of class and it's obvious that the dude is brilliant.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:01 pm

42 minutes is pretty rough, in our torts class someone got grilled for around an hour and a half off and on, and he had to stand for the entire class and answer every question on his feet. Felt so bad for him, but so happy it wasn't me.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 pm

My contracts prof did the same thing to one poor girl. First day of classes, 9:30 am, and bam, law school sure has started.

I still haven't been call on yet in my classes, but I'm excited, actually. It seems like fun. : )

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 pm

yo! wrote:
goosey wrote:

-"yes, that's me"

Yes, absolutely serious. I started talking at 9:00 and wasn't freed until 9:42. The girl that he called on after me actually got yelled at. She couldn't remember the way in which the case that we were talking about had gotten the the appeals court. He slammed his hand on the desk, yelling "you have to remember the procedure! The procedure is the most important thing!" After class, the tutor told us that she was just a victim of his "use of volume for emphasis" rather than him actualy being upset. lol With all of that said, he really does appear to be a pretty nice guy outside of class and it's obvious that the dude is brilliant.

Honestly, I think my favorite professor is the one that scares me shitless. He doesn't sound quite so intense as your professor, though. More of a "snarky, face-making, move on to the next person" kind of approach.

username1

Postby username1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Doritos wrote:The biggest issue is figuring out what you should know/be doing. I wish I had a bunch of hypos that I could do and get feedback but alas, law school is not that kind of game. The cases aren't that bad IMO, just a matter of figuring out what the prof likes to ask for on a cold call as to not embarrass yourself.

Check out the e/e from your library if you do not want to buy it. These are basically mini-essays/hypos. This way you can give your self feedback and start to see how essays are structured. It is also a good way of hitting up the prof during office hours and reviewing a ? you worked to get insight into what they want to see from you on your final.

Also, if you have any multiple choice on any of your exams look at the lexis q/a book so you can get used to them. Law school multiple choice ?s are unique in their structure and it's never to early to start banging out a few.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 pm

username1 wrote:
Doritos wrote:The biggest issue is figuring out what you should know/be doing. I wish I had a bunch of hypos that I could do and get feedback but alas, law school is not that kind of game. The cases aren't that bad IMO, just a matter of figuring out what the prof likes to ask for on a cold call as to not embarrass yourself.

Check out the e/e from your library if you do not want to buy it. These are basically mini-essays/hypos. This way you can give your self feedback and start to see how essays are structured. It is also a good way of hitting up the prof during office hours and reviewing a ? you worked to get insight into what they want to see from you on your final.

Also, if you have any multiple choice on any of your exams look at the lexis q/a book so you can get used to them. Law school multiple choice ?s are unique in their structure and it's never to early to start banging out a few.

Short essays, eh? Makes me glad I got my Civ pro E&E.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:49 am

All of my professors so far have been super friendly, accommodating, approachable both in and out of class, and even nice to students who give stupid answers or don't know the facts in class. Everyone in my section seems pretty nice, too.

I feel like my expectations for law school and what law school actually is are nothing alike.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:44 am

I am with the people surprised at how light the workload is. I do some reading and briefing between classes and that's pretty much it. ALL of my professors do the cold calling, half-hour plus interrogation loveliness and I got my first taste of it Friday. I actually felt I had done well...knew what he was asking and answered it, but after class he asked me, "Are you aware you trail off every time you speak?" (my answer was something like, "uh, no, I wasn't aware I di...") He basically told me I needed to speak a LOT more confidently when called on, so apparently I failed my first questioning. Ah, well, will work on it. He asked me how it was going and I said I was expecting it to get harder and he said, "No, it only gets easier. Don't let people scare you, law school should be the best three years of your life." Damn TLS. Why didn't you tell me that?

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm

is it just me or are Westlaw and Lexis infuriatingly unintuitive?

They both have these terribly convoluted and intricate search engines which stifle my impulse to simply type in the opposing parties.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”