1Ls, what's your impression thus far? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Post by keg411 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I really like law school; approx. 7 weeks in at this point. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...I guess that's what exams are for. Though I am positive I would have hated it 4 or 5 years ago (right after college). Very glad I waited.

CivPro and Torts are my favorites...Property is getting me a bit confused. The work is time-consuming, but thank Lucifer it's mostly interesting.
Definitely agree with the bolded.

lawchampion

Bronze

Post by lawchampion » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
1Ls, what's your impression thus far?
Why am I doing this to myself.
+1

BU2013

New

Post by BU2013 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:45 pm

Still loving it. Haven't used supplements because I have understood everything that I have read so far. I do some work in the E&E for K's but it's sort of required for class.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:19 pm

bleedcubbieblue wrote:
uwb09 wrote:I'm officially done briefing cases.
People still brief cases?
some of my classmates still fill up multiple pages of word documents with simple facts of cases

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:32 pm

uwb09 wrote:
bleedcubbieblue wrote:
some of my classmates still fill up multiple pages of word documents with simple facts of cases
Just print the case summary from Lexis for reference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:45 pm

RUQRU wrote:
uwb09 wrote:
bleedcubbieblue wrote:
Just print the case summary from Lexis for reference.
oh, I do this, some class-mates don't

I've seen on some laptops up to 3 different word documents for each case. usually the 3rd one is their stenographer version including every single word students/professor say about it in class, including whichever student who got called on, their re-statement of the facts in class

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I really like law school; approx. 7 weeks in at this point. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...I guess that's what exams are for. Though I am positive I would have hated it 4 or 5 years ago (right after college). Very glad I waited.

CivPro and Torts are my favorites...Property is getting me a bit confused. The work is time-consuming, but thank Lucifer it's mostly interesting.
I'm straight out of undergrad...and at this point, I hate law school as a whole. I'm told I should have taken a few years off. Had I done that, I'm sure I wouldn't have come at all. Right now, I'm banking on school getting better. :|

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:56 pm

I can think of at least 86 other things I would rather do than attend another LS class

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:02 pm

keg411 wrote:

Definitely agree with the bolded.
I'm straight out of UG but I'm finding LS just fine.

I guess it really matters what your professors are like and how well you handle stress. Law school is kind of an even application of pressure that seems to build up to a crescendo (pre-finals & finals). That's kind of how I treated UG; most of my friends were off/on in terms of stress, so I could see how they'd hate this.

One thing I have to say - if you're a pretty regimented person (i.e., organized, time-efficient, schedule-oriented) I'd say law school becomes infinitely easier.

Of course I'll have to adjust for finals, but being efficient with my time has allowed me to get a lot more done in total. I do Hornbook/E&E work every night in addition to my casebook reading/notes, and I still have plenty of time every day to live my non-LS life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 am

I am still having the time of my life.

The work is starting to pile up, but I'm keeping up and not behind in anything.

Coming from two absolutely horribly shitty office jobs gives you some perspective.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:04 am

JCougar wrote:Coming from two absolutely horribly shitty office jobs gives you some perspective.
Exactly, that changes things too. I wasn't coming from an office job (and I did like my job), but in general, working for many years gave me loads of perspective. Right now, that perspective is saying (amongst other things), "Law school is tough, but it doesn't compare."

It's a huge privilege to be in school full-time.

I don't think I fully understood that when I was in my early 20's. Thus, I know I'm working harder at LS than I could have worked had I been straight out of college. I feel amped to get up in the morning and learn, because the work I put in now will have a direct effect on how my future will play out, and that's exciting.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:08 am

The work isn't hard, but the workload sucks.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:12 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
JCougar wrote:Coming from two absolutely horribly shitty office jobs gives you some perspective.
Exactly, that changes things too. I wasn't coming from an office job (and I did like my job), but in general, working for many years gave me loads of perspective. Right now, that perspective is saying (amongst other things), "Law school is tough, but it doesn't compare."

I don't think I fully understood that when I was in my early 20's. Thus, I know I'm working harder at LS than I could have worked had I been straight out of college. I feel amped to get up in the morning and learn, because the work I put in now will have a direct effect on how my future will play out, and that's exciting.
+1000.

Also, it makes the workload seem just seem like a long-ish day at work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote: It's a huge privilege to be in school full-time.

I agree with JCougar and Gleam (hai, guys!) - I'm having a freaking ball. I'm in school PT and still working (I'm lucky - I do love my job) and juggling all of it is a challenge... but I love it. No way would I have appreciated this, straight out of UG - and no way would I have been as focussed/willing to put in the hard work. I'm finding school to be fascinating, exciting and .... fun. Yes, dammit - FUN.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

The students in their early 20's are having a ball at my LS (myself included). The workload is rough, but it is very, very interesting. Also, we are simply having a great time hanging out with one another. You might think think that you wouldn't have enjoyed going to law school in your early 20's, but it would have just been a different experience.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:50 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:You might think think that you wouldn't have enjoyed going to law school in your early 20's, but it would have just been a different experience.
Actually, I can assure you I wouldn't have enjoyed it. If you review my post, you'll see that I was just speaking for myself and no one else. Law school wasn't even on my radar when I graduated college them years ago.

I don't doubt that you and your friends are having a great time. I see tons of 22 and 23-year olds loving it here; I am sure, too, that many of them will school my ass come exam time. :D Some people were ready for this right after school...but I definitely wasn't one of them.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:36 pm

It is shocking how quickly time flies. I feel like I just arrived on campus last week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:56 pm

i told someone in my torts class i stopped reading the cases... and they asked what I read instead... I smiled a little inside. I wish i knew how many people have yet to discover there are books outside of the casebook.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 am

Law School would be so fun if I had only 3 classes + LRW... Friend at Duke says thats what they do, is that the norm or what?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:Law School would be so fun if I had only 3 classes + LRW... Friend at Duke says thats what they do, is that the norm or what?
It's what we're doing here.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 am

Helmholtz wrote:It is shocking how quickly time flies. I feel like I just arrived on campus last week.
This. 7 weeks has gone by a blink. Its a bit scary...I hope other parts of my life (as in, the ones that don't involve listening to Gunner McGunnerson quote Prosser at length) don't move so quickly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stocksly33

Bronze

Post by stocksly33 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:27 am

Always Credited wrote: This. 7 weeks has gone by a blink. Its a bit scary...I hope other parts of my life (as in, the ones that don't involve listening to Gunner McGunnerson quote Prosser at length) don't move so quickly.
do people really do that at your school?

when i have time to read into treatise for insight, i sure as shit don't raise my hand and tell everyone else that only bothered to read the casebook. to me that acts against your self interest.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:47 am

stocksly33 wrote:i told someone in my torts class i stopped reading the cases... and they asked what I read instead... I smiled a little inside. I wish i knew how many people have yet to discover there are books outside of the casebook.
That's the spirit!
Nom Sawyer wrote:Law School would be so fun if I had only 3 classes + LRW... Friend at Duke says thats what they do, is that the norm or what?
Yeah, I only have 3 classes + ungraded LRW at Berkeley. You have more?! I can't imagine another class on top of this shit...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, I only have 3 classes + ungraded LRW at Berkeley. You have more?! I can't imagine another class on top of this shit...
What the hell? I have 6 classes.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:54 am

kalvano wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, I only have 3 classes + ungraded LRW at Berkeley. You have more?! I can't imagine another class on top of this shit...
What the hell? I have 6 classes.
This. Fuck graded LRW + Five other classes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”