1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby keg411 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I really like law school; approx. 7 weeks in at this point. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...I guess that's what exams are for. Though I am positive I would have hated it 4 or 5 years ago (right after college). Very glad I waited.

CivPro and Torts are my favorites...Property is getting me a bit confused. The work is time-consuming, but thank Lucifer it's mostly interesting.


Definitely agree with the bolded.

lawchampion
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby lawchampion » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
1Ls, what's your impression thus far?


Why am I doing this to myself.

+1

BU2013
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby BU2013 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:45 pm

Still loving it. Haven't used supplements because I have understood everything that I have read so far. I do some work in the E&E for K's but it's sort of required for class.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby uwb09 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:19 pm

bleedcubbieblue wrote:
uwb09 wrote:I'm officially done briefing cases.


People still brief cases?

some of my classmates still fill up multiple pages of word documents with simple facts of cases

User avatar
RUQRU
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby RUQRU » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:32 pm

uwb09 wrote:
bleedcubbieblue wrote:
uwb09 wrote:I'm officially done briefing cases.


People still brief cases?

some of my classmates still fill up multiple pages of word documents with simple facts of cases


Just print the case summary from Lexis for reference.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby uwb09 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:45 pm

RUQRU wrote:
uwb09 wrote:
bleedcubbieblue wrote:
uwb09 wrote:I'm officially done briefing cases.


People still brief cases?

some of my classmates still fill up multiple pages of word documents with simple facts of cases


Just print the case summary from Lexis for reference.

oh, I do this, some class-mates don't

I've seen on some laptops up to 3 different word documents for each case. usually the 3rd one is their stenographer version including every single word students/professor say about it in class, including whichever student who got called on, their re-statement of the facts in class

User avatar
Amy wineBerry
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Amy wineBerry » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I really like law school; approx. 7 weeks in at this point. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...I guess that's what exams are for. Though I am positive I would have hated it 4 or 5 years ago (right after college). Very glad I waited.

CivPro and Torts are my favorites...Property is getting me a bit confused. The work is time-consuming, but thank Lucifer it's mostly interesting.


I'm straight out of undergrad...and at this point, I hate law school as a whole. I'm told I should have taken a few years off. Had I done that, I'm sure I wouldn't have come at all. Right now, I'm banking on school getting better. :|

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:56 pm

I can think of at least 86 other things I would rather do than attend another LS class

savagecheater
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby savagecheater » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I really like law school; approx. 7 weeks in at this point. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...I guess that's what exams are for. Though I am positive I would have hated it 4 or 5 years ago (right after college). Very glad I waited.

CivPro and Torts are my favorites...Property is getting me a bit confused. The work is time-consuming, but thank Lucifer it's mostly interesting.


Definitely agree with the bolded.


I'm straight out of UG but I'm finding LS just fine.

I guess it really matters what your professors are like and how well you handle stress. Law school is kind of an even application of pressure that seems to build up to a crescendo (pre-finals & finals). That's kind of how I treated UG; most of my friends were off/on in terms of stress, so I could see how they'd hate this.

One thing I have to say - if you're a pretty regimented person (i.e., organized, time-efficient, schedule-oriented) I'd say law school becomes infinitely easier.

Of course I'll have to adjust for finals, but being efficient with my time has allowed me to get a lot more done in total. I do Hornbook/E&E work every night in addition to my casebook reading/notes, and I still have plenty of time every day to live my non-LS life.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby JCougar » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 am

I am still having the time of my life.

The work is starting to pile up, but I'm keeping up and not behind in anything.

Coming from two absolutely horribly shitty office jobs gives you some perspective.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:04 am

JCougar wrote:Coming from two absolutely horribly shitty office jobs gives you some perspective.


Exactly, that changes things too. I wasn't coming from an office job (and I did like my job), but in general, working for many years gave me loads of perspective. Right now, that perspective is saying (amongst other things), "Law school is tough, but it doesn't compare."

It's a huge privilege to be in school full-time.

I don't think I fully understood that when I was in my early 20's. Thus, I know I'm working harder at LS than I could have worked had I been straight out of college. I feel amped to get up in the morning and learn, because the work I put in now will have a direct effect on how my future will play out, and that's exciting.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Thirteen » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:08 am

The work isn't hard, but the workload sucks.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:12 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
JCougar wrote:Coming from two absolutely horribly shitty office jobs gives you some perspective.


Exactly, that changes things too. I wasn't coming from an office job (and I did like my job), but in general, working for many years gave me loads of perspective. Right now, that perspective is saying (amongst other things), "Law school is tough, but it doesn't compare."

It's a huge privilege to be in school full-time.

I don't think I fully understood that when I was in my early 20's. Thus, I know I'm working harder at LS than I could have worked had I been straight out of college. I feel amped to get up in the morning and learn, because the work I put in now will have a direct effect on how my future will play out, and that's exciting.


+1000.

Also, it makes the workload seem just seem like a long-ish day at work.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:It's a huge privilege to be in school full-time.

I don't think I fully understood that when I was in my early 20's. Thus, I know I'm working harder at LS than I could have worked had I been straight out of college. I feel amped to get up in the morning and learn, because the work I put in now will have a direct effect on how my future will play out, and that's exciting.

I agree with JCougar and Gleam (hai, guys!) - I'm having a freaking ball. I'm in school PT and still working (I'm lucky - I do love my job) and juggling all of it is a challenge... but I love it. No way would I have appreciated this, straight out of UG - and no way would I have been as focussed/willing to put in the hard work. I'm finding school to be fascinating, exciting and .... fun. Yes, dammit - FUN.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
JCougar wrote:Coming from two absolutely horribly shitty office jobs gives you some perspective.


Exactly, that changes things too. I wasn't coming from an office job (and I did like my job), but in general, working for many years gave me loads of perspective. Right now, that perspective is saying (amongst other things), "Law school is tough, but it doesn't compare."

It's a huge privilege to be in school full-time.

I don't think I fully understood that when I was in my early 20's. Thus, I know I'm working harder at LS than I could have worked had I been straight out of college. I feel amped to get up in the morning and learn, because the work I put in now will have a direct effect on how my future will play out, and that's exciting.

The students in their early 20's are having a ball at my LS (myself included). The workload is rough, but it is very, very interesting. Also, we are simply having a great time hanging out with one another. You might think think that you wouldn't have enjoyed going to law school in your early 20's, but it would have just been a different experience.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:50 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:You might think think that you wouldn't have enjoyed going to law school in your early 20's, but it would have just been a different experience.


Actually, I can assure you I wouldn't have enjoyed it. If you review my post, you'll see that I was just speaking for myself and no one else. Law school wasn't even on my radar when I graduated college them years ago.

I don't doubt that you and your friends are having a great time. I see tons of 22 and 23-year olds loving it here; I am sure, too, that many of them will school my ass come exam time. :D Some people were ready for this right after school...but I definitely wasn't one of them.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:36 pm

It is shocking how quickly time flies. I feel like I just arrived on campus last week.

User avatar
stocksly33
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby stocksly33 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:56 pm

i told someone in my torts class i stopped reading the cases... and they asked what I read instead... I smiled a little inside. I wish i knew how many people have yet to discover there are books outside of the casebook.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 am

Law School would be so fun if I had only 3 classes + LRW... Friend at Duke says thats what they do, is that the norm or what?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:Law School would be so fun if I had only 3 classes + LRW... Friend at Duke says thats what they do, is that the norm or what?


It's what we're doing here.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Always Credited » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 am

Helmholtz wrote:It is shocking how quickly time flies. I feel like I just arrived on campus last week.


This. 7 weeks has gone by a blink. Its a bit scary...I hope other parts of my life (as in, the ones that don't involve listening to Gunner McGunnerson quote Prosser at length) don't move so quickly.

User avatar
stocksly33
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:27 am

Always Credited wrote: This. 7 weeks has gone by a blink. Its a bit scary...I hope other parts of my life (as in, the ones that don't involve listening to Gunner McGunnerson quote Prosser at length) don't move so quickly.


do people really do that at your school?

when i have time to read into treatise for insight, i sure as shit don't raise my hand and tell everyone else that only bothered to read the casebook. to me that acts against your self interest.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:47 am

stocksly33 wrote:i told someone in my torts class i stopped reading the cases... and they asked what I read instead... I smiled a little inside. I wish i knew how many people have yet to discover there are books outside of the casebook.


That's the spirit!

Nom Sawyer wrote:Law School would be so fun if I had only 3 classes + LRW... Friend at Duke says thats what they do, is that the norm or what?


Yeah, I only have 3 classes + ungraded LRW at Berkeley. You have more?! I can't imagine another class on top of this shit...

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, I only have 3 classes + ungraded LRW at Berkeley. You have more?! I can't imagine another class on top of this shit...


What the hell? I have 6 classes.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby eandy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:54 am

kalvano wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, I only have 3 classes + ungraded LRW at Berkeley. You have more?! I can't imagine another class on top of this shit...


What the hell? I have 6 classes.

This. Fuck graded LRW + Five other classes.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 12 guests