1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Knock

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Knockglock wrote:I lol'd. Sounds like a great atmosphere up there. How intense is the professor that's too intense? Do you think you'll get used to his teaching style?

I think we're all fairly used to it now. It's still less intense than I imagined, because this professor panels 5 of us for a day and will only call on those folks. For all but 3 days, you're not on, and you know beforehand when you'll need to be on top of things. This professor emphasizes the notes in the casebook, and will expect us to recall any of them (even if they are just noted, rather than just those we're reading the decisions of) for our final exam.

The professor is quite nice though, if not direct ("No, that's just not right" came out a couple of times today). It's FAR more humane than I expected, and simply feels more intense due to how low-key everything has been in the other courses.

It's a wonderful place though. I figured I'd give you an answer before bar review :)

Thanks Kretzky! I'm really diggin that more relaxed vibe you seem to be describing, it sounds great. I'm glad you're enjoying your experience so far! I expect both you and BioEBear to be on law review :P.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:36 pm

am i the only one that feels like this is one long, never-ending lsat. I remember how I felt when taking the lsat--totally freaked out and anxious. law school feels like that. except that it doesnt end 5 hours later..it just keeps going and going...

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:49 pm

goosey wrote:am i the only one that feels like this is one long, never-ending lsat. I remember how I felt when taking the lsat--totally freaked out and anxious. law school feels like that. except that it doesnt end 5 hours later..it just keeps going and going...

Do you have LRW assignments looming yet? If not, one of us is doing something wrong.

I think I've loved every bit of law school so far. Hopefully that continues until about November... then I fully expect to hate law school.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 pm

GeePee wrote:
goosey wrote:am i the only one that feels like this is one long, never-ending lsat. I remember how I felt when taking the lsat--totally freaked out and anxious. law school feels like that. except that it doesnt end 5 hours later..it just keeps going and going...

Do you have LRW assignments looming yet? If not, one of us is doing something wrong.

I think I've loved every bit of law school so far. Hopefully that continues until about November... then I fully expect to hate law school.

none graded--theyve been ungraded as yet. which is nice :)

I like it, its just very anxiety-attack provoking.

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:20 pm

lolschool

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Everything seems alright so far. I've had a fair amount of reading, particularly in my torts class (though that reading is by far the most interesting), but I managed to get ahead in every class by about a week (through some scheduling issues and holidays, I have VERY little class next week). So I'm going to spend the next few days looking over some supplements and hornbooks to reinforce the first few concepts I have learned in each class. I guess this isn't a gripe so much as it is a surprise, but my professors have taken it mightily easy on us with regard to the whole socratic method thing. There doesn't seem to be a single gunner in my section (unless of course they are going stealth to begin) so its always different people talking and contributing, which is really nice. I actually sort of wish the profs would pose some more hypotheticals and force us to think on our feet a bit more, but I'm guessing they rev it up after the intro week.

Oh and Friday morning classes at 9AM suck. Can't enjoy bar review one bit :(

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:29 pm

dakatz wrote:Everything seems alright so far. I've had a fair amount of reading, particularly in my torts class (though that reading is by far the most interesting), but I managed to get ahead in every class by about a week (through some scheduling issues and holidays, I have VERY little class next week). So I'm going to spend the next few days looking over some supplements and hornbooks to reinforce the first few concepts I have learned in each class. I guess this isn't a gripe so much as it is a surprise, but my professors have taken it mightily easy on us with regard to the whole socratic method thing. There doesn't seem to be a single gunner in my section (unless of course they are going stealth to begin) so its always different people talking and contributing, which is really nice. I actually sort of wish the profs would pose some more hypotheticals and force us to think on our feet a bit more, but I'm guessing they rev it up after the intro week.

8:20 here :(

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:48 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Kretzy, get off TLS and read your crim :D

Also, I hope you like German beer.

Coming from a guy I just left bar review with....big words. Especially when I was told (by my crim prof) to "skim the reading for tonight, and enjoy bar review...it's a pretty crucial part of your full experience of law school."

:D

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:07 am

Kretzy wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Kretzy, get off TLS and read your crim :D

Also, I hope you like German beer.

Coming from a guy I just left bar review with....big words. Especially when I was told (by my crim prof) to "skim the reading for tonight, and enjoy bar review...it's a pretty crucial part of your full experience of law school."

:D

This is not helping my obsession with SLS :P.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 am

GeePee wrote:
dakatz wrote:Everything seems alright so far. I've had a fair amount of reading, particularly in my torts class (though that reading is by far the most interesting), but I managed to get ahead in every class by about a week (through some scheduling issues and holidays, I have VERY little class next week). So I'm going to spend the next few days looking over some supplements and hornbooks to reinforce the first few concepts I have learned in each class. I guess this isn't a gripe so much as it is a surprise, but my professors have taken it mightily easy on us with regard to the whole socratic method thing. There doesn't seem to be a single gunner in my section (unless of course they are going stealth to begin) so its always different people talking and contributing, which is really nice. I actually sort of wish the profs would pose some more hypotheticals and force us to think on our feet a bit more, but I'm guessing they rev it up after the intro week.

8:20 here :(

10:40 here woohoo!

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:29 am

Law school is the shit lol

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:45 am

The only thing I have to really complain about are having 4 continuous classes 8:30-3pm on monday, and then 8:30-2pm friday. Those days of the week always hurt the most, and the class load just makes it worse.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:08 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:The only thing I have to really complain about are having 4 continuous classes 8:30-3pm on monday, and then 8:30-2pm friday. Those days of the week always hurt the most, and the class load just makes it worse.

8 AM on a Friday? Worse than slavery.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:45 pm

dakatz wrote:

Yeah, I find the inclination to organize social outings that include drinking for Thursday nights incredibly frustrating. Most people have classes, clinics, or externships on Friday mornings, none of which are terribly conducive to doing through any hangovers or extra lack of sleep. It's a weeknight, what up.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:The only thing I have to really complain about are having 4 continuous classes 8:30-3pm on monday, and then 8:30-2pm friday. Those days of the week always hurt the most, and the class load just makes it worse.

8:15am m/w/f. Bar review is not on my radar.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:14 pm

savagecheater wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

:(

I'm sorry.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:14 pm

revolution724 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Yeah, I find the inclination to organize social outings that include drinking for Thursday nights incredibly frustrating. Most people have classes, clinics, or externships on Friday mornings, none of which are terribly conducive to doing through any hangovers or extra lack of sleep. It's a weeknight, what up.

Class at ~11:30 am, OTOH, is wonderfully conducive to Thursday night drinking :).

To the people with 8 am classes... that seriously sucks :(.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:36 am

MOst people in my school are floundering. They get called on and totally can't hang. My civ-pro professor played the "I'm teh client, you're the attorney game" with a girl who obviously didn't read about diversity jurisdiction for 35 straight minutes. It felt like a waste of time.
My reading has been 4-5 hours a day, but I am ahead for next week and have no reading for this weekend. I am already feeling very confident, because I just found out I got honors for our summer course, which was 15x more difficult than all of the classes I am taking right now put together.

superberry

Postby superberry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:31 am

Things seem to be going ok here. We just started classes on Wed, after what could arguably be said to be the worst orientation ever. No booze!! Horrendous.

Anyway. Lawyering is ungraded for us so that's nice. And most questions are prima facie (sorry couldn't help it) ones about fairly superficial things.

Only class I'm worried about is Civ Pro. Have an infamous author of the book as a prof-needless to say his hornbook is my bible and savior now. Doesn't help that his guidance in terms of a syllabus or reading assignments is non-existent. One of those courses who kinda have to teach yourself I guess.we will see how it goes.

Loving the atmosphere, great people :)

Postby 09042014 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:21 pm

savagecheater wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

That leaves you at least 4 hours to sleep and sober up. I don't accept your excuse.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:48 pm

goosey wrote:
GeePee wrote:

I think you're psyching yourself out. Just a guess...

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 pm

undergrad.
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
goosey wrote:
GeePee wrote:

I think you're psyching yourself out. Just a guess...

you are spot on.
make it stop.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:53 pm

I've been writing to keep myself even keeled. It's basically a "diary of nonsensical rants" but it seems to help me keep my sanity and get stuff out of my head... out of my head so that I don't dwell. But you need to find a way to get your stresses out because you seem to be driving yourself crazy over everything.

lsatClay

Postby lsatClay » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 pm

So far, its been a lot less work than I imagined. I pictured law school as an 8-6 type "job", in reality its been more like 8:00-4:00, with nothing on the weekends.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”