1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stocksly33

1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 pm

I don't get a lot out of the cases, considering how long it takes me to read them all (I read the lexis summary, then read the case once, and brlef in the book). I read some of an E&E and hornbook one night along with the cases, and it's amazing how much better I understood the material. i just don't have time to do assigned readings and supplements.

Each prof is different, but I'm not really seeing how class is going to help me on the exam. In class, the material either seems too easy, or I'm lost.

Torts seems easy, Ks and civ pro seem hard. and i can barely keep up with the assigned readings, and i've been a hermet this first week.

It also seems weird this first week to just skim the entire course as an introduction... I keep wanting to dig into each subject, so I can try to understand better.

I'm sure time will cure most, but tell me your initial perspective

TCScrutinizer

Re: 1Ls, what's your impression thus far?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:17 pm

I've been able to keep up with the readings and assignments with some work. Right now I'm a couple of days ahead of class on the readings. I like to do the readings and book brief, and then write down important points in OneNote. I'd say it probably takes anywhere between 1 and 3 hours to read and take notes for the average class.

My professors are excellent, and I don't think much has got past me to this point. I have missed a couple points in the reading that were later elucidated in the lecture, though.

I'm trying to slow down a bit, because I'm not used to working this hard in an academic setting and am a little afraid of getting burnt out.

warmachine

Postby warmachine » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Doing what I can to read my readings the night before. Have one prof who cold calls like a murderer that I'm trying to limit in-class prep for as much of his lecture is often virtually worthless to learning the law. I may spend the entire weekend getting all caught up on condensing all my notes, eliminating junk, and reading 2-3 class days for all 3-4 classes.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:33 pm

warmachine wrote:Doing what I can to read my readings the night before. Have one prof who cold calls like a murderer that I'm trying to limit in-class prep for as much of his lecture is often virtually worthless to learning the law. I may spend the entire weekend getting all caught up on condensing all my notes, eliminating junk, and reading 2-3 class days for all 3-4 classes.

so you find the cases to be of little help, too?

i'm hoping to be able to do supplements/outlining/exam prep all weekend, and about half the time during my weekdays. The other half of the weekdays will be to skim the assigned reading. problem is i've been doing the cases first and it's been taking up all my time.

i'm averaging about 5 hours per day for reading, outside of classtime that is. a little more on the weekends.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Look at our 1L's, all grown up and stuff *flicks tear from right eye*

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:48 pm

A'nold wrote:Look at our 1L's, all grown up and stuff *flicks tear from right eye*

LoL :mrgreen:

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Is it bad to just read the case briefs from the brief book associated with my text book and then answer the questions within the reading???
I did it today as an experiment and I didn't seem to miss out on much

warmachine

Postby warmachine » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:55 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
warmachine wrote:Doing what I can to read my readings the night before. Have one prof who cold calls like a murderer that I'm trying to limit in-class prep for as much of his lecture is often virtually worthless to learning the law. I may spend the entire weekend getting all caught up on condensing all my notes, eliminating junk, and reading 2-3 class days for all 3-4 classes.

i'm hoping to be able to do supplements/outlining/exam prep all weekend, and about half the time during my weekdays. The other half of the weekdays will be to skim the assigned reading. problem is i've been doing the cases first and it's been taking up all my time.

i'm averaging about 5 hours per day for reading, outside of classtime that is. a little more on the weekends.

Not necessarily.

You need your cases to extract the BLL. In my case, getting criminal law down requires reading the cases or at least understanding the rule, a few smudges of facts, and maybe the court's rationale behind its holding.

Of course, because this is only week one, a lot of the cases don't necessarily work together to create one huge pie of rules. Some professors may be assigning cases that are just general and meant to get your feet wet.

I'm just a little worried about the prof who talks about tangential/theoretical stuff which I've been told time and again he just cold-calls for but never tests on.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:57 pm

warmachine wrote:
stocksly33 wrote:

Not necessarily.

You need your cases to extract the BLL. In my case, getting criminal law down requires reading the cases or at least understanding the rule, a few smudges of facts, and maybe the court's rationale behind its holding.

Of course, because this is only week one, a lot of the cases don't necessarily work together to create one huge pie of rules. Some professors may be assigning cases that are just general and meant to get your feet wet.

I'm just a little worried about the prof who talks about tangential/theoretical stuff which I've been told time and again he just cold-calls for but never tests on.

To me, cases are important. A rule by itself is harder to remember than a rule associated with a case and how the rule was applied.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:04 pm

A'nold wrote:To me, cases are important. A rule by itself is harder to remember than a rule associated with a case and how the rule was applied.

I agree. But I read an E&E and a hornbook to the subject of our cases... the supplements had a lot more examples and I got more clarity of the limits of the rule from the supplements.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm

warmachine wrote:Not necessarily.

I can get the BLL from the cases. But when I search the case on Lexis to get the topic, then read in the supplements about that topic, I get the BLL. and i feel like i get more out of the process when using supplements.

maybe it's to each their own. but i like to hear other's methods.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm a bit nervous, actually, because so far it's been pretty easy to keep up. Last night, for example, I had about an hour of homework to do, and that was the last thing due till Monday.

warmachine

Postby warmachine » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:44 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
warmachine wrote:Not necessarily.

I can get the BLL from the cases. But when I search the case on Lexis to get the topic, then read in the supplements about that topic, I get the BLL. and i feel like i get more out of the process when using supplements.

maybe it's to each their own. but i like to hear other's methods.

Yes, each to his own. Take my words with a grain of salt. I'm the type of guy who's extremely detail-oriented and requires tons of explanation and examples.

Side note: I just ran into an old college study buddy of mine from years ago. He said he never read a single case. I'm guessing he did what you did and borrowed outlines. He OCI'ed.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:44 pm

manbearwig wrote:I'm a bit nervous, actually, because so far it's been pretty easy to keep up. Last night, for example, I had about an hour of homework to do, and that was the last thing due till Monday.

wow. I get like 50-55 pages per night, all classes included, of assigned reading. I read/brief in the book/outline at about 5 mins per page. works out to around 5 hours a night

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:34 pm

My torts prof has been going extremely slow through the first couple days so we "get our sea legs". While I appreciate the 15pg. per day pace, I know it means she's going to start slamming us later to make up for it.

I'd rather get into the fast pace now.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:44 pm

One of my professors allows us to email them and mention that we don't want to be cold called. Good or bad idea?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:50 pm

First week. Not that hard so far because the workloads have been fairly light. People are still very much in the going out and making friends mode.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:25 pm

My impressions so far is that it's really bipolar... one minute you think you "got it" and the next, you are totally lost. I also haven't really looked at supplements yet because the BLL we've done so far has not been difficult and has also been covered in class.

My biggest issue so far is that in one of my classes we already have to apply information in cases that we read to a fact pattern and I feel like I missing things and I'm seeing everything way too black and white. Plus, it's affecting how I feel about every class because I'm guessing that's essentially "exam style".

Right now, I really just want to talk to the 2L's/3L's who are high in their classes and had my professors. I feel like if I have their information it might make it more clear the direction that the classes are headed in (It's like when I read books/watch movies - I like to know the ending first :)).

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 pm

The biggest issue is figuring out what you should know/be doing. I wish I had a bunch of hypos that I could do and get feedback but alas, law school is not that kind of game. The cases aren't that bad IMO, just a matter of figuring out what the prof likes to ask for on a cold call as to not embarrass yourself.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:33 pm

keg411 wrote:My impressions so far is that it's really bipolar... one minute you think you "got it" and the next, you are totally lost. I also haven't really looked at supplements yet because the BLL we've done so far has not been difficult and has also been covered in class.

My biggest issue so far is that in one of my classes we already have to apply information in cases that we read to a fact pattern and I feel like I missing things and I'm seeing everything way too black and white. Plus, it's affecting how I feel about every class because I'm guessing that's essentially "exam style".

Right now, I really just want to talk to the 2L's/3L's who are high in their classes and had my professors. I feel like if I have their information it might make it more clear the direction that the classes are headed in (It's like when I read books/watch movies - I like to know the ending first :)).

yeah, i relate to some of that. im gonna skim over 1 old test for each prof this weekend... so i know what the ending is.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Socratic method isn't that big with my professors. Only half of them use it, and they maybe get to a kid a day. But, I managed to make an idiot of myself all on my own, by raising my hand and saying stuff that is so incredibly wrong, I'll probably never live it down.

Anyway, I'm fine with all the reading, and I've been making good use of the library. But thus far, half of class is either the same case for like 2 days, or "what do you think about this?" I don't feel like I"m learning all that much, which worries me, because I'm not sure what I should be learning.

I also hate my locker :(

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Anyway, I'm fine with all the reading, and I've been making good use of the library. But thus far, half of class is either the same case for like 2 days, or "what do you think about this?" I don't feel like I"m learning all that much, which worries me, because I'm not sure what I should be learning.

This. I can read and understand the cases just fine, or at least I think I understand them just fine. However, I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be taking away from each case besides the rule that the case reinforces. Am I correct in saying the minutiae of a case is relatively unimportant in the long-run? Everyone seems to be filling their notebooks, highlighting page after page, and jotting down things in the margins. I do some of the same, but it all seems pointless if the real point of a case is to reinforce one rule. No one possibly needs to remember that damages awarded in Holden v. WalMart were $6000. The old analogy of drinking out of a fire hydrant seems to be appropriate. Lots of people seem to try and suck up every last drop. Experienced TLSers seem to agree that this kind of behavior is unnecessary and even counterproductive. However, I must confess that it feels unnatural to rely on the words of an anonymous online forum when I see my classmates burning the midnight oil already.

...of course, this is just the 1st week. I'm curious to see the rate of burnout over the course of a long semester.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:45 pm

My torts and contracts profs have been laying it on thick with the reading assignments. It's a solid ~5 hours of casebook & hornbook reading combined.

Most people seem to have gotten into the ritual of reading after some class, but some people are going out to bars and such nightly.

I found a good group of guys with whom I share my schedule, so that's helpful. Most people appear to be going on sheer power of highlighting and reading.

Myself, I'm doing casebook reading with briefs, just to be prepared for cold-calls, but I'm supplementing heavily with the hornbooks, which appears to be working nicely.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:54 pm

savagecheater wrote:My torts and contracts profs have been laying it on thick with the reading assignments. It's a solid ~5 hours of casebook & hornbook reading combined.

Most people seem to have gotten into the ritual of reading after some class, but some people are going out to bars and such nightly.

I found a good group of guys with whom I share my schedule, so that's helpful. Most people appear to be going on sheer power of highlighting and reading.

Myself, I'm doing casebook reading with briefs, just to be prepared for cold-calls, but I'm supplementing heavily with the hornbooks, which appears to be working nicely.

What hornbooks are you reading? would you mind pming me!

APHill

Postby APHill » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:16 pm

"Law professors are not there to create confusion, they are there to protect it". So true.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”