Is "notes-shielding" common?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
warmachine
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby warmachine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Some dude sitting one row in front of me had his laptop plugged into an outlet but dimmed his screen to super low levels and typed in tiny font. I don't want his notes. But I just wanted to know whether this common.

Note: We're barely half past week 1.


EDIT: Bolded for people who didn't read carefully.
Last edited by warmachine on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby MrKappus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 pm

If by "common" you mean "hilarious," then yes...it's extremely common. Maybe he was embarrassed at not knowing what to take notes on. Or he's a huge tool.

User avatar
warmachine
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby warmachine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:27 pm

MrKappus wrote:If by "common" you mean "hilarious," then yes...it's extremely common. Maybe he was embarrassed at not knowing what to take notes on. Or he's a huge tool.



Common as in common practice, i.e. everyone and his dog is doing it.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby revolution724 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:37 pm

MrKappus wrote: Or he's a huge tool.


TITCR

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby revolution724 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:38 pm

No, actually, you want to know what it is? He didn't want anyone to notice him IM-ing.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby 12262010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:42 pm

revolution724 wrote:No, actually, you want to know what it is? He didn't want anyone to notice him IM-ing.


+1

talking shit about you shielding.

User avatar
manbearwig
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby manbearwig » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:42 pm

I've notice a few really dimmed screens in my classes, but it could just be for battery life? All I know is I'm always looking at the screen of people around me if I miss something.

tingles
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby tingles » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 pm

I dim my screen because of battery life. I do type in regular font size - so hopefully no one thinks I'm trying to shield my notes.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:52 pm

note shielding = tool move

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Wow this is hilarious! The screen dimming was kind of funny, but the tiny font made me lol. What a dipshit.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 pm

I generally type in a smaller font compared to most people, but that is a byproduct of being comfortable at 1920x1200 resolutions. Also, screen dimmed for battery life may be a setting that he doesn't have set to automatically revert when plugged in.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:12 pm

bk1 wrote:I generally type in a smaller font compared to most people, but that is a byproduct of being comfortable at 1920x1200 resolutions. Also, screen dimmed for battery life may be a setting that he doesn't have set to automatically revert when plugged in.


So what you're saying is that the culprit was you?!?! jk

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
bk1 wrote:I generally type in a smaller font compared to most people, but that is a byproduct of being comfortable at 1920x1200 resolutions. Also, screen dimmed for battery life may be a setting that he doesn't have set to automatically revert when plugged in.


So what you're saying is that the culprit was you?!?! jk


It was!

Nah, as an undergraduate I typically sat at the back of class (only place a lot of our classes had outlets).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 pm

People share notes with each other here.

They had a long speech about how acting like a dickbag is greatly frowned upon and will not make you very popular, and will eventually come back to kick you in the balls.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 pm

This kid is doing it wrong in any case. Privacy screens are like $30.

whoknows12
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby whoknows12 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:25 pm

I actually prefer when people dim their screens b/c then its less distracting when they are switching b/w windows or browsing the interweb

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:20 am

nobody at Tulane cares

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby traehekat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 am

this is a new one, lol

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby A'nold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 am

If you aren't note shielding, you are already doomed to mediocrity. Hth.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:18 am

A'nold wrote:If you aren't note shielding, you are already doomed to mediocrity. Hth.


Oh noes! I'd better get a new eyeglass prescription so I can read really tiny font in class.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby dresden doll » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:19 am

JPU wrote:note shielding = tool move

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby A'nold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:20 am

If there is one thing that all the top students in law school have in common, it is note shielding. Once again, hth.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby dresden doll » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:41 am

A'nold wrote:If there is one thing that all the top students in law school have in common, it is note shielding. Once again, hth.


I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or actually mean that.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby A'nold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 am

dresden doll wrote:
A'nold wrote:If there is one thing that all the top students in law school have in common, it is note shielding. Once again, hth.


I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or actually mean that.


You know what? That doesn't surprise me, haha. Joking, ftr.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is "notes-shielding" common?

Postby legalease9 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:56 am

OP, ask him for his notes. Just for kicks.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Hikikomorist, Loubies and 10 guests