Study group selection Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdubb990

Bronze

Study group selection

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:12 am

My classmates must have liked the answers I gave in class because I got approached by several different people asking me how I was studying and if I wanted to be in a study group. The thing is, I don't really want to be in a study group with many (if any) of these people. Some haven't even spoken up in class so I have no idea if they are idiots or not.

What's the best way to handle this? Regarding the people that I'm SURE I don't want to study with, how can I turn them down without losing them as friends?

One of the seemingly smartest girls in my section is ugly as dirt, but she's smart and I respect that and would like to study with people on that level. Bite the bullet and ask Medusa if she wants to get together?

jayn3

Silver

Re: Study group selection

Post by jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:14 am

jdubb990 wrote:My classmates must have liked the answers I gave in class because I got approached by several different people asking me how I was studying and if I wanted to be in a study group. The thing is, I don't really want to be in a study group with many (if any) of these people. Some haven't even spoken up in class so I have no idea if they are idiots or not.

What's the best way to handle this? Regarding the people that I'm SURE I don't want to study with, how can I turn them down without losing them as friends?

One of the seemingly smartest girls in my section is ugly as dirt, but she's smart and I respect that and would like to study with people on that level. Bite the bullet and ask Medusa if she wants to get together?
.....are you serious??

if you think medusa is that much smarter than you, there's a good chance she doesn't want to study with you any more than you want to study with randos. and if you think she's so ugly, she probably doesn't want to put up with your douchery.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 am

Clearly you need to re-read my statement. I never said she was SMARTER THAN ME. I said she is one of the most intelligent females in my class. I never compared her intelligence to my own at all.

And that's pretty asinine if you think people convey their opinions of others on TLS the same way they do in face to face interaction. :roll:
Last edited by jdubb990 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:18 am

i maintain that if you can't get over her personal appearance, you don't deserve her help.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:22 am

jdubb990 wrote:My classmates must have liked the answers I gave in class because I got approached by several different people asking me how I was studying and if I wanted to be in a study group. The thing is, I don't really want to be in a study group with many (if any) of these people. Some haven't even spoken up in class so I have no idea if they are idiots or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lucidity

New

Post by Lucidity » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:26 am

I was pondering this as well. I'm a pretty private person when it comes to my studies and prefer it that way. I want to ponder on my own thoughts, not those that others come up with. That said, I've already met some really nice people that i would not mind socializing with.

The problem is that with my experience with study groups, i'm lucky if half the time spent "studying" is actually useful time spent studying the materials. The rest is us shooting the breeze talking about some random quirk of the professor or talking smack about a common foe in the class. Time in law school is too precious to be wasted on quasi social study groups. But i can't discount for sure that they can be useful until i give it a try.

I'm going to take the study groups for a test drive. I'll attend a few sessions, and if i don't find value from them, i'll just start making excuses and phase them out. I might step on some toes in the process, but my 1l grades has to take priority over all else.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:29 am

My Contracts professor was pretty adamant that study groups are a good idea, even if you are a private study person.

He said that since you have no real opportunity in class (as far as testing goes) to see if you are on the right track, having 2 or 3 people to talk with and trade ideas with helps you steer straight, so to speak.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:36 am

Yeah, my Contracts and Torts professor's recommended them. I am def interested in trying out a study group. It's just the issue of picking and choosing the group, turning people down that I am uncertain as to how to deal with.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:49 am

jdubb990 wrote:Yeah, my Contracts and Torts professor's recommended them. I am def interested in trying out a study group. It's just the issue of picking and choosing the group, turning people down that I am uncertain as to how to deal with.
like uggos? :roll:

in all seriousness, i have no qualms about telling people i don't really want to start a group. most serious studying can only be done individually, as far as i'm concerned. getting together to hash out a particular issue, or just debate something over a beer, is another story and doesn't have to be a regular thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:51 am

What are you guys trying to get out of study groups? I'm kinda-sorta in one, but my expectations are super low. Mainly, I just want to talk about the cases with people and see if people are coming up with the same stuff I am. Not planning on working on outlines together with anyone.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:15 pm

I am not real interested in a full on, every week type study group. I'm reading GTM again though, and it promotes study groups heavily, at least for the purpose of reviewing old exams.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to avoid the weekly social study groups, while leaving open the option of an exam-time study group specifically aimed at reviewing old exams.

I still need to get to know the people in my section so hopefully my solution presents itself before long.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: gauging peoples' relative worthiness for your oh-so-precious study group based on in-class comments: That's retarded. Comments in class mean absolutely dick when it comes to ultimate performance on the exam. Sometimes people who are cogent in class can't write for shit under exam conditions, and very often the people who say barely a word all semester perform the best on the exam. That's why we have the term "sniper" instead of "gunner" for said individuals.

In short, what disco said.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:36 pm

rdcws000 wrote:I am not real interested in a full on, every week type study group. I'm reading GTM again though, and it promotes study groups heavily, at least for the purpose of reviewing old exams.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to avoid the weekly social study groups, while leaving open the option of an exam-time study group specifically aimed at reviewing old exams.

I still need to get to know the people in my section so hopefully my solution presents itself before long.
Step A: Get to know people in your section/classes.
Step B: Worry about studying on your own until exam time.
Step C: When exam time rolls around, ask people from your section (see Step A, supra) if they want to talk through outlines/concepts/old exams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

aschup wrote:Re: gauging peoples' relative worthiness for your oh-so-precious study group based on in-class comments: That's retarded. Comments in class mean absolutely dick when it comes to ultimate performance on the exam. Sometimes people who are cogent in class can't write for shit under exam conditions, and very often the people who say barely a word all semester perform the best on the exam. That's why we have the term "sniper" instead of "gunner" for said individuals.

Yup, a lot of the most outspoken gunners STFU after they get a boatload of C's come exam time.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:11 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Clearly you need to re-read my statement. I never said she was SMARTER THAN ME. I said she is one of the most intelligent females in my class. I never compared her intelligence to my own at all.

Not one of the most intelligent people overall?

Honestly, I don't even know why you brought this girl or her appearance into your post. That's why you got jumped on.

For the people you don't want to study with, say that you really appreciate the offer but you're happy doing your own thing right now.

Wavelet

New

Post by Wavelet » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:13 pm

leobowski wrote:
aschup wrote:Re: gauging peoples' relative worthiness for your oh-so-precious study group based on in-class comments: That's retarded. Comments in class mean absolutely dick when it comes to ultimate performance on the exam. Sometimes people who are cogent in class can't write for shit under exam conditions, and very often the people who say barely a word all semester perform the best on the exam. That's why we have the term "sniper" instead of "gunner" for said individuals.

Yup, a lot of the most outspoken gunners STFU after they get a boatload of C's come exam time.
I agree that the quality of a person's in-class comments is an imperfect predictor of their exam performance. But I think it's an overstatement to imply that there is zero correlation between the two. Indeed, a large majority of my classmates who made quality comments in class (note: quality =/= quantity) wound up in the top ~20%.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Study groups are a waste of time, anyway.

^___ introvert ITT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:46 pm

You just wait for people to ask you to be in a study group with them? Get with the program, Bush League!

The Credited Method of Study Group Formation Is As Follows:

1.) Lay a good foundation during Intro Week, so that everyone within earshot knows what a wheel you're going to be. Even though intro week just consists of easy pseudo-classes covering topics as toothy as "State and federal court are different things" or "This is what a casebook looks like," you need to treat it like an intellectual crucible of supreme difficulty. Make sure you ask no less than 10 questions a day, and quote prominent philosophers as frequently as possible. Additionally, just to leave nobody uncertain as to your future class rank, mention that you plan to finish in the top-10% and probably transfer (unless you're already at YLS, in which case mention that you're going to transfer to med school).

2.) Once everyone knows what an intellectual titan you are, don't just wait for them to haphazardly approach you. Instead, announce before class (professors usually allow students a moment for pertinent announcements) that you will be holding open tryouts for 3 empty spots in your study group. Remind the class once more that you intend to finish in the top-10% and probably transfer.

3.) Have a competition for open spots, consisting of a written note, a bluebooking assignment, and a talent portion.

If you execute these steps just perfectly, don't be surprised if the prof himself asks to join your group.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:50 pm

SBL wrote:You just wait for people to ask you to be in a study group with them? Get with the program, Bush League!

1.) Lay a good foundation during Intro Week, so that everyone within earshot knows what a wheel you're going to be. Even though intro week just consists of easy pseudo-classes covering topics as toothy as "State and federal court are different things" or "This is what a casebook looks like," you need to treat it like an intellectual crucible of supreme difficulty. Make sure you ask no less than 10 questions a day, and quote prominent philosophers as frequently as possible. Additionally, just to leave nobody uncertain as to your future class rank, mention that you plan to finish in the top-10% and probably transfer (unless you're already at YLS, in which case mention that you're going to transfer to med school).

2.) Once everyone knows what an intellectual titan you are, don't just wait for them to haphazardly approach you. Instead, announce before class (professors usually allow students a moment for pertinent announcements) that you will be holding open tryouts for 3 empty spots in your study group. Remind the class once more that you intend to finish in the top-10% and probably transfer.

3.) Have a competition for open spots, consisting of a written note, a bluebooking assignment, and a talent portion.

If you execute these steps just perfectly, don't be surprised if the prof himself asks to join your group.
DAMMIT SBL STOP SHARING MY BEST WORK

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:52 pm

You forgot the swimsuit competition.

senunit

New

Post by senunit » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:55 pm

SBL wrote:You just wait for people to ask you to be in a study group with them? Get with the program, Bush League!

HILARIOUS :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:24 pm

You have not gotten any grades yet, have you?

ViIIager

Bronze

Post by ViIIager » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:51 pm

SBL wrote: 3.) Have a competition for open spots, consisting of a written note, a bluebooking assignment, and a talent portion.

Written note: Do you like me? Check one. {} Yes {} No {} Maybe

Bluebooking Assignment: Included separately.

Talent Portion: At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. When I was 18, I went to evil medica...law school. At age 25 I took up tap dancing. I wanted to be a triple threat: an actor, dancer, and an evil lawyer.

Can I join your ubergroup?

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:55 pm

betasteve wrote:
aschup wrote: Step C: When exam time rolls around, ask people from your section (see Step A, supra) if they want to talk through outlines/concepts/old exams.
Calling you out on that one. Supra? Really???
It was pretentious on purpose, duder.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:30 pm

Sniper, eh? Never saw it that way. Perfect name.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”