Joining Clubs as a 1L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
siaynoqq

New

Joining Clubs as a 1L

Post by siaynoqq » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:08 am

Are there any good reasons for doing so, especially if you haven't yet decided which type of law you wish to practice? It seems that time is better spent on studying for class or resting your mind.

1ferret!

Bronze

Re: Joining Clubs as a 1L

Post by 1ferret! » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:25 am

Sure- get to know your classmates, get to partake in networking opportunities, get access to outlines and insight you might miss otherwise, intellectual stimulation, and not really a big time suck.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:15 pm

I think clubs would be a good way to rest your mind. They're also something to show to potential 1L summer employers and fill your resume before you get first semester grades. (Pro bono work is probably better for that, though.)

senunit

New

Post by senunit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Any other insight, especially from 2 and 3L's? I too am interested in this, but can't really measure up the pro's and con's. Many of the previously mentioned pro's (ie. getting to know classmates, getting outlines, etc.) seem a little pointless to me since you can attain such goals by just meeting people during orientation, in your classes and during breaks. Let alone, joining a journal for example, sounds like it can generate the same results. Are there any other influential benefits, such as ones relating to work?

Jarndyce

Bronze

Post by Jarndyce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:54 pm

My opinion: Don't waste your time. I wasn't on anything and got a great job. Now I am on law journal, and the only reason is because of how it looks on the resume. I would rather be even a single class rank higher than have some random club on my resume... take your free time and either a) study or b) get away from all things law related.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Probably depends on whether or not you enjoy participation in the club. If its just another obligation you are taking on to pad your resume, probably should focus on studying/relaxing. But if you enjoy the club to the point where it equals relaxation, then it is probably worth it. Depends how social you are and how many obligations the club puts on you. Hopefully the Clubs will be understanding about 1L pressure if they are willing to recruit 1L's. If not, then avoid said club.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 pm

I love "as a 1L" threads. Gym time, coaching, masturbation........it's all the same thing. YES YOU WILL HAVE TIME IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO IT.

senunit

New

Post by senunit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking. I don't think I can come up with any club that will = relaxation to be honest. If its not a significant resume boost, I think I can find many other ways to spend my free time during 1L year.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Joining a few clubs is a really good idea. First of all, most clubs won't expect 1Ls to do much, so it isn't really a time suck. Secondly, it puts you in a good position to be on a board position as 2L. Although it doesn't hold as much clout as journals, it shows that you're involved in the law school community. Firms like people who aren't just academic machines, but have other interests and involvements as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

senunit

New

Post by senunit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:45 pm

If done, do these club involvements have to relate to the law you want to practice or just the general notion of joining a club is a plus? And is being a board member on a club the only way the move will have value?

Also, taking into account 1L work, is it safe to say that a journal carries a lot more weight than joining a club? (outside of Law Review that is, because that is obvious) The perception I have right now is that you wont be able to juggle both during 1L while maintaining competitive grades.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Generally, you won't be on a journal as a 1L (at some schools there are exceptions). Usually the writing competition or other process occurs at the end of 1L and you are "on" the journal prior to OCI even though you won't have done anything.

The same goes for board positions. Apart from "1L rep," most clubs don't have 1Ls on the board, but you're elected at the end of 1L. That allows you to put your board position on your resume. Just being in a club is pretty meaningless. Usually you can just be added to a mailing list and be in a club.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:29 am

I don't have any goals of making review, so I guess it may depend on what you're aiming for.

I'm looking into joining my school's runner club. I figured I might as well take out my morning tread mill run from my regimen and do it with other people. Great chance to get to know people, network, exercise, and just chill every now and then. As long as we're not running 10 miles/day, my study schedule should be fine.

EDIT: But once we reach finals month, it's straight back to the tread mill I'm going.

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 am

Jarndyce wrote:My opinion: Don't waste your time. I wasn't on anything and got a great job. Now I am on law journal, and the only reason is because of how it looks on the resume. I would rather be even a single class rank higher than have some random club on my resume... take your free time and either a) study or b) get away from all things law related.

This. During my orientation we had a panel of former alumni (either judges or practicing attorneys). Most of them noted the positives of joining a club, however, none of those positives led to legal employment. Finally, one of our panelist, bluntly stated, that clubs are pretty much a non-factor when he interviews prospective lawyers... he stated he looks for two things:

#1. Grades. #2. Experience

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:10 pm

If you know a club has a good outline bank, it might be worthwhile to join. You can determine your own level of involvement. A kid in my class became co-president of an affinity club. We've been in law school for two days. lol.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Ehh employers don't really care if you were the assistant vice secretary for some froofy-doofy club. Worry about grades, law review, and moot court to a lesser extent. Hell, play xbox or intramurals for a couple of hours a week if it will help maintain your sanity and therefore your productivity. It's all about maintaining a balance and clubs should be at the bottom of your list. IMO YMMV IB4STFU

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:36 pm

leobowski wrote:Ehh employers don't really care if you were the assistant vice secretary for some froofy-doofy club. Worry about grades, law review, and moot court to a lesser extent. Hell, play xbox or intramurals for a couple of hours a week if it will help maintain your sanity and therefore your productivity. It's all about maintaining a balance and clubs should be at the bottom of your list. IMO YMMV IB4STFU
I want to bounce off this to ask a similar question. What is the difference between prestige of moot court and journals, both secondary and Law review.

Basically I really want to focus on Moot court, as I am far more interested in it than journals. But I of course don't want to take a big resume hit. What do people think.

senunit

New

Post by senunit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Thanks again everyone for the insightful suggestions. I think at this point, I'll only be looking into a club if I hear of the "outline bank" benefit known for that particular club. I know that grades are by far more important, and being just two days into class we haven't even caught a glimpse of the work load to come quite yet.

For those of you who have been through it, is a secondary journal still a great idea for the resume? That is of course in the case that I am unable to write-on or grade-on to Law Review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:55 pm

If there is a club you want to join then do it. If nothing interests you then don't do it. It's not like it's a massive time commitment.

Alyosha

Bronze

Post by Alyosha » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:53 pm

legalease9 wrote:
leobowski wrote:Ehh employers don't really care if you were the assistant vice secretary for some froofy-doofy club. Worry about grades, law review, and moot court to a lesser extent. Hell, play xbox or intramurals for a couple of hours a week if it will help maintain your sanity and therefore your productivity. It's all about maintaining a balance and clubs should be at the bottom of your list. IMO YMMV IB4STFU
I want to bounce off this to ask a similar question. What is the difference between prestige of moot court and journals, both secondary and Law review.

Basically I really want to focus on Moot court, as I am far more interested in it than journals. But I of course don't want to take a big resume hit. What do people think.
Depends on the employer, I would say. For large firms, they probably prefer a secondary journal to moot court since you will be doing so much research and writing as a new associate. Also at my school the moot court competition is not over by the time OCI starts, so you can't really put it on your resume for purposes of OCI. You should obviously take law review if it's offered.

For DA's office and small litigation firms, moot court may be better. Generally speaking secondary journals are not near as much of a time commitment as law review, so a lot of people do both. I've heard it is unwise to do law review and moot court.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:17 pm

worldtraveler wrote:If there is a club you want to join then do it. If nothing interests you then don't do it. It's not like it's a massive time commitment.
Seriously. If joining a club at a law school actually affects your grades in a negative way, you have some serious time management issue, my friends.

Thank you for your common sense, WT.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Alyosha wrote:
legalease9 wrote:

Depends on the employer, I would say. For large firms, they probably prefer a secondary journal to moot court since you will be doing so much research and writing as a new associate. Also at my school the moot court competition is not over by the time OCI starts, so you can't really put it on your resume for purposes of OCI. You should obviously take law review if it's offered.

For DA's office and small litigation firms, moot court may be better. Generally speaking secondary journals are not near as much of a time commitment as law review, so a lot of people do both. I've heard it is unwise to do law review and moot court.

Yeah obviously law review is king, but I would have to disagree with the bolded part. I've worked at both DA/PD offices and law review is much better than moot court. Some offices may prefer moot court, but generally law review is the first talking point at an interview.

Cliffs: law review= gold.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:26 pm

REASONS TO JOIN CLUBS:
1. Good outlines
2. Good outlines
3. Good outlines

Hope that clears it up. No most interviewers will [not] be fooled by "Member, The Tool Club" on a resume.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”