Best Supplement for....

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Best Supplement for....

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Cases and Materials on Torts, by Epstein. My Prof has made it clear that he is very very loyal to the opinions in the text, and to the author's view on the law. What would be the best way to supplement and organize the concepts in the text?


Thanks.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Gold star to OP for this completely novel thread.

I'm feeling helpful and annoyed at myself for feeling helpful. Here's how I pick supplements: First, use any supplement written by the professor. Second, use any supplement written by the casebook author. Last use any supplement you like; I default to the concepts and insights series. YMMV

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:46 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Gold star to OP for this completely novel thread.

I'm feeling helpful and annoyed at myself for feeling helpful. Here's how I pick supplements: First, use any supplement written by the professor. Second, use any supplement written by the casebook author. Last use any supplement you like; I default to the concepts and insights series. YMMV



Thanks unfortunately I cannot find a supplement from the author or professor. Additionally, he will not recommend one. I purchased E&E for Torts before I even started, because I thought it would be good....still undecided.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby dakatz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:51 pm

--LinkRemoved--

This site shows you all related books and materials for any given textbook

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Gold star to OP for this completely novel thread.

I'm feeling helpful and annoyed at myself for feeling helpful. Here's how I pick supplements: First, use any supplement written by the professor. Second, use any supplement written by the casebook author. Last use any supplement you like; I default to the concepts and insights series. YMMV



Thanks unfortunately I cannot find a supplement from the author or professor. Additionally, he will not recommend one. I purchased E&E for Torts before I even started, because I thought it would be good....still undecided.

There's a Gilbert by Epstein. Don't try to pass off laziness for diligence.

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:02 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Gold star to OP for this completely novel thread.

I'm feeling helpful and annoyed at myself for feeling helpful. Here's how I pick supplements: First, use any supplement written by the professor. Second, use any supplement written by the casebook author. Last use any supplement you like; I default to the concepts and insights series. YMMV



Thanks unfortunately I cannot find a supplement from the author or professor. Additionally, he will not recommend one. I purchased E&E for Torts before I even started, because I thought it would be good....still undecided.

There's a Gilbert by Epstein. Don't try to pass off laziness for diligence.



this i could not find, and trust me that is not the point of my asking...I just really need to understand how to organize all this info, and want to fill in any gaps that I miss.

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:03 pm

dakatz wrote:http://www.lawbooksforless.com/lawbooksforless/product_info_sample.php/page/core_1L_courses/products_id/92475

This site shows you all related books and materials for any given textbook



thank you....not looking for briefs as much as analysis and outlining.

Welp2277
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby Welp2277 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:Cases and Materials on Torts, by Epstein. My Prof has made it clear that he is very very loyal to the opinions in the text, and to the author's view on the law. What would be the best way to supplement and organize the concepts in the text?


Thanks.

I will say this: you are very lucky because that casebook is extremely well done. The notes are great in between the cases and it is organized quite well. I used the Torts E&E (lacking in some areas), the Sum and Substance CDs, and CALI lessons. I found all three extremely helpful.

User avatar
username1
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby username1 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:14 pm

A suggestion, check this out of the library and take it to Prof and see if they recommend it as a supplement. It is such a good
read that you may consider following it as you go through the casebook. I personally like the entire understanding series but YMMV.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/store/catalog ... odId=13132

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby traehekat » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:57 am

lawschoolgiant wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Gold star to OP for this completely novel thread.

I'm feeling helpful and annoyed at myself for feeling helpful. Here's how I pick supplements: First, use any supplement written by the professor. Second, use any supplement written by the casebook author. Last use any supplement you like; I default to the concepts and insights series. YMMV



Thanks unfortunately I cannot find a supplement from the author or professor. Additionally, he will not recommend one. I purchased E&E for Torts before I even started, because I thought it would be good....still undecided.

There's a Gilbert by Epstein. Don't try to pass off laziness for diligence.



this i could not find, and trust me that is not the point of my asking...I just really need to understand how to organize all this info, and want to fill in any gaps that I miss.


http://www.amazon.com/Legalines-Torts-9th-Keyed-Epstein/dp/0314204369/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282546547&sr=8-12

Couldn't find any Gilbert that is actually authored by Epstein, but I'm guessing this is what mikeytwoshoes was referring to. Legalines seem kind of dumb to me, however.

User avatar
username1
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Best Supplement for....

Postby username1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:56 am

Also keyed brief books but sometimes they include an "analysis" section with some additional
gap type information you may be looking for. However, from your post it seems like you may be
better served with treatise type information which, again, the understanding book does a real good job.

If you compare the understanding torts to the torts e/e you may well see, as I did, that the e/e is really sparse
on topics you may cover in class.


http://www.amazon.com/Court-Summaries-Torts-Keyed-Epstein/dp/0314905332/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1282564325&sr=8-1-fkmr0

and
http://www.aspenpublishers.com/Product.asp?catalog_name=Aspen&category_name=Tort+Law+309&product_id=0735571821&Mode=BROWSE&ProductType=D




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], iatrology and 6 guests