Onenote for dummies?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LAWYER2

Onenote for dummies?

Postby LAWYER2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Okay admittedly, I'd never heard of Onenote prior to the start of law school and reading the TLS forums. I briefly glanced at some tutorials on youtube, but still don't know what the major advantage to this over Word is.
Can someone explain to me as if I were a 3 year old what One-note is, what it does, and why it's superior to traditional note-taking?

bk1

Re: Onenote for dummies?

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Think of it like a bunch of word documents collected together. Basically it not only allows you to type but allows you to embed sound and images easily as well (including making your own scratch drawings). The main draw is that on top you have subdivisions, so you can have one section for notes, one for briefs, etc. On top of that, you also have separate sections within those divisions (on the right hand side) so you can have your notes separated by date and easily access your notes for a given date instead of having one long word document. It is also entirely searchable.

It is similar to word, just with added levels of organization. If you like it, use it. If you find it overwhelming and are comfortable with word, stick to word.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 pm

1) You can put customized tags into your notes whenever. Depending on how well you organize those tags, it'll make finding things when you need them a lot easier.
2) You put everything inside a notebook and you can search the entire notebook--you could put everything in one long word document, but in OneNote you can really organize the sections spatially(there are "sections" the way there would be inside a notebook, then down the right "pages" you can make).
3) For the actual pages you take notes on, you basically can create endless text boxes that you can drag and drop anywhere--I find formatting a page in OneNote way easier than in Microsoft Word, which often makes me want to pull my hair out if I want to do anything more complicated than indent.
4) It lets you screenshot any screen and then decide which section of the screen you're screenshotting and then put it in your notes. For example: In undergrad I've found parts of my science textbooks online and have screenshotted the really useful diagrams and put them in my notes that way. Which I later print out and bring to class, which is great because the textbook diagram is usually superior to the hand-drawn mess of the professor and I can follow along with what he's saying with a way better visual.
5) If you copy paste from outside sources into your notes, it'll automatically record in tiny text beneath where you snagged it from.

There are more features, but those are the main 5 I use.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:Okay admittedly, I'd never heard of Onenote prior to the start of law school and reading the TLS forums. I briefly glanced at some tutorials on youtube, but still don't know what the major advantage to this over Word is.
Can someone explain to me as if I were a 3 year old what One-note is, what it does, and why it's superior to traditional note-taking?

Go here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126811

RUQRU

Postby RUQRU » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm

You are looking at an older version, here is a screen shot of OneNote 2007 provided by Matthies. OneNote 2010 is even better:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87977&start=25

--ImageRemoved--

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:08 pm

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:47 pm

kalvano wrote:Image

LoL my partner in my criminal class takes notes via the old fashion way. The other day she mentioned she might rethink not taking notes on a pc after seeing my notes. I simply type waaay neater and faster than I write and simply am a Gawd when it comes to bullets, out-ling, and highlighting.
But this One-note looks very inviting to me, especially the ability to site sources and links

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”