Trying not to get sucked in!!!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Welp2277

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby Welp2277 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm at the top of my class. I also briefed every case. Do what works for you because everyone is going to want to give you advice (good and bad) on what to do to succeed in law school.

RickyMack

Postby RickyMack » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 pm

I also do not want to get sucked in, however my syllabus specifically states that although exam grading is blind, class participation will be applied after exam scores.

RUQRU

Postby RUQRU » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:41 am

What is the best way to handle a class with a heavy Socratic professor? You want to concentrate on the exam; however, this class is conducted in such a way that failure to prepare cases, in extreme detail, could result in an absence?

In one particular class the professor requires that students "stand and deliver" case briefs. The professor will drill down to the most minute details, even those that appear not to be key facts in the court's holding. Professor states that if you are called upon and it appears you are not prepared you can be marked absent for the class. School rules allow 6 absences. Any more and you get an automatic F grade.

Preparing for this type of presentation is very time consuming. I guess you can play the odds of being the subject in any given class. But it is not a comfortable feeling.

Any tips, suggestions?

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:47 am

RUQRU wrote:What is the best way to handle a class with a heavy Socratic professor? You want to concentrate on the exam; however, this class is conducted in such a way that failure to prepare cases, in extreme detail, could result in an absence?

In one particular class the professor requires that students "stand and deliver" case briefs. The professor will drill down to the most minute details, even those that appear not to be key facts in the court's holding. Professor states that if you are called upon and it appears you are not prepared you can be marked absent for the class. School rules allow 6 absences. Any more and you get an automatic F grade.

Preparing for this type of presentation is very time consuming. I guess you can play the odds of being the subject in any given class. But it is not a comfortable feeling.

Any tips, suggestions?

:-o

I'm going to take a guess though and say he can't fail half the class (mandatory curve)---so the detail tht you must know the cases may be exxagerated to make the point (and also, is anyone really going to attempt to call his bluff?)

Just prepare yourself--brief the case. Take notes while you're reading it. I'm sure you'll be fine.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am

Yeah, I have to admit I am little worried about falling into the common pitfalls a lot of TLS users who have offered law school advice caution to watch out for. I can definitely see how so many people get caught up in briefing and making sure they are prepared - the Socratic method can be pretty intimidating.

I think you just have to know the things you have to be doing to prepare for the exam and do them in addition to briefing/case reading. If you can fit it all in, then great. If find that you just don't have enough time for it all, then I think it will be easier to kind of set priorities. Right now there really isn't much else to do other than the readings/briefing so I figure I might as well just do it. Once supplements, outlining, and exam prep start working their way into the schedule, time for briefing might become shorter and shorter.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 am

Pretty sure once you're called on, that's it for a while.

At least with most professors that I've heard of.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 am

Briefing is a waste of time for achieving top 1L grades. Learn your prof's idiosyncrasies and gain a technical mastery of the material, and you'll do fine -- provided you can communicate both of these things clearly and succinctly on your exam. Briefing hardly helps develop those attributes when considering the time it takes up to brief properly a case. Granted, the art of presenting a case and being able to discuss it fluently is an important skill, and briefing certainly helps you to articulate that, but it is a skill unnecessary for achieving top 1L grades.

TobiasFunke

Postby TobiasFunke » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:36 pm

TobiasFunke wrote:Uh, speaking as a noob 1L... how else do you prepare for the exam, if not by briefing?

By applying law to fact.

Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 pm

RUQRU wrote:What is the best way to handle a class with a heavy Socratic professor?

SUPPLEMENTS.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:59 pm

worldtraveler wrote:There is no right way to be the top of the class. Try a few different things, see what helps you learn. Just because that method works for people on TLS doesn't mean it will work for you. I read the cases because I kind of liked reading them, and it worked out just fine.

This. I did well reading cases and doing thorough outlines, and only occasionally consulting a supplement when something was unclear (and only near finals when asking the prof/TA would be impractical). Doing well isn't about the method it's about learning the material whatever way you can. Spend the first few weeks of law school just figuring out what helps you retain relevant material the best then do that.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:To the people who do not read the cases:

What do you do instead? Just read EE's and hornbooks? I mean, if you aren't reading the cases, then how are you spending your time and what are you doing to prepare for class/exams?

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:

What do you do instead? Just read EE's and hornbooks? I mean, if you aren't reading the cases, then how are you spending your time and what are you doing to prepare for class/exams?

+1. Would like to know too

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:02 am

lawhawk wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1. Would like to know too

mmm +2

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:12 am

rayiner wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:There is no right way to be the top of the class. Try a few different things, see what helps you learn. Just because that method works for people on TLS doesn't mean it will work for you. I read the cases because I kind of liked reading them, and it worked out just fine.

This. I did well reading cases and doing thorough outlines, and only occasionally consulting a supplement when something was unclear (and only near finals when asking the prof/TA would be impractical). Doing well isn't about the method it's about learning the material whatever way you can. Spend the first few weeks of law school just figuring out what helps you retain relevant material the best then do that.

Absolutely. I have been reading this thread scratching my head, because lots of people do great by reading the cases thoroughly and not consulting any supplements or doing any outlining until exam period. It's going to entirely depend on the person, so if you feel like not reading the cases thoroughly isn't doing it for you, maybe you're someone who will be more successful by reading the cases thoroughly, and maybe you're wasting your time on supplements.

RUQRU

Postby RUQRU » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:43 am

romothesavior wrote:

There is much of the combined wisdom of TLS here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092

If you read through these threads, and other guides on how to do law school you find a wide variety of opinion. In the end, it seems, you have to run your own race. Pace yourself, intuit your style of learning, understand each professor's needs and wants, and be flexible enough to adjust you study methodology to match.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”