Trying not to get sucked in!!!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 pm

So we had our prof give a long speech on how the most important thing to getting A's in law school is briefing every case and reading every case thoroughly. Both of which TLS has taught me never to do. I came into law school with the intention of never briefing and pulling them all from google and skimming cases to get the gist of it while devoting my time to hornbooks, E&E's and black letter law (much like most top performers on here suggest). Now all of my fellow section mates are laughing at me for not briefing or reading the cases and I am slipping into reading the cases a bit more thoroughly (havent started briefing yet, dont think I will ever get tempted to). Thoughts? Is my strategy still a good one?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Take a semester off, go to france visit the eiffel tower and look five degrees east of south from the top. there will be your answer my son... there will be your answer....

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:13 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:So we had our prof give a long speech on how the most important thing to getting A's in law school is briefing every case and reading every case thoroughly. Both of which TLS has taught me never to do. I came into law school with the intention of never briefing and pulling them all from google and skimming cases to get the gist of it while devoting my time to hornbooks, E&E's and black letter law (much like most top performers on here suggest). Now all of my fellow section mates are laughing at me for not briefing or reading the cases and I am slipping into reading the cases a bit more thoroughly (havent started briefing yet, dont think I will ever get tempted to). Thoughts? Is my strategy still a good one?


I will brief until I have it down, but I will focus my efforts on the final exam. Don't get sucked in! They told me at orientation that it's alright if we hand-write our exams. We don't have to type them. I was shocked that they told me this as I asked that very same question on TLS and received really good feedback. Let's just say my typing has improved and I'll be typing my exams.

Don't get sucked in. Keep your eyes on the prize!

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:18 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:So we had our prof give a long speech on how the most important thing to getting A's in law school is briefing every case and reading every case thoroughly. Both of which TLS has taught me never to do. I came into law school with the intention of never briefing and pulling them all from google and skimming cases to get the gist of it while devoting my time to hornbooks, E&E's and black letter law (much like most top performers on here suggest). Now all of my fellow section mates are laughing at me for not briefing or reading the cases and I am slipping into reading the cases a bit more thoroughly (havent started briefing yet, dont think I will ever get tempted to). Thoughts? Is my strategy still a good one?


I will brief until I have it down, but I will focus my efforts on the final exam. Don't get sucked in! They told me at orientation that it's alright if we hand-write our exams. We don't have to type them. I was shocked that they told me this as I asked that very same question on TLS and received really good feedback. Let's just say my typing has improved and I'll be typing my exams.

Don't get sucked in. Keep your eyes on the prize!
The bottom of the class doesn't need any help in getting there, why would they tell them this?

User avatar
vespertiliovir
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby vespertiliovir » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:33 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:So we had our prof give a long speech on how the most important thing to getting A's in law school is briefing every case and reading every case thoroughly. Both of which TLS has taught me never to do. I came into law school with the intention of never briefing and pulling them all from google and skimming cases to get the gist of it while devoting my time to hornbooks, E&E's and black letter law (much like most top performers on here suggest). Now all of my fellow section mates are laughing at me for not briefing or reading the cases and I am slipping into reading the cases a bit more thoroughly (havent started briefing yet, dont think I will ever get tempted to). Thoughts? Is my strategy still a good one?

Retake?

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7664
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:33 pm

There is no right way to be the top of the class. Try a few different things, see what helps you learn. Just because that method works for people on TLS doesn't mean it will work for you. I read the cases because I kind of liked reading them, and it worked out just fine.

User avatar
jdubb990
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby jdubb990 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 pm

You have to understand, a lot of the people on here who give the advice saying not to brief cases in all likelihood briefed cases at the beginning of their 1L year. Only at the end of their 1L year, or end of 1st semester did they write these helpful guides which say "do not brief!". Briefing helps you learn what issues to spot in a case, what facts are relevant, precedence, black letter law, etc. If you put the time into briefing it becomes very easy, but most importantly, it teaches you the correct way to look at a case. After doing this 300 times, you probably get such a good feel that there's no need to brief and that little time you save by not doing it is useful. I briefed a few cases from a book my school assigned over the summer as pre-reading. And then we got more cases for orientation and further instructions on briefing. After working through only 3 days worth of assignments as well as the aforementioned, I can tell you that it has helped, and I am getting it done much much quicker and will likely only continue to do so.

Eventually I will probably stop briefing, but it is helping a lot right now.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 pm

stratocophic wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:So we had our prof give a long speech on how the most important thing to getting A's in law school is briefing every case and reading every case thoroughly. Both of which TLS has taught me never to do. I came into law school with the intention of never briefing and pulling them all from google and skimming cases to get the gist of it while devoting my time to hornbooks, E&E's and black letter law (much like most top performers on here suggest). Now all of my fellow section mates are laughing at me for not briefing or reading the cases and I am slipping into reading the cases a bit more thoroughly (havent started briefing yet, dont think I will ever get tempted to). Thoughts? Is my strategy still a good one?


I will brief until I have it down, but I will focus my efforts on the final exam. Don't get sucked in! They told me at orientation that it's alright if we hand-write our exams. We don't have to type them. I was shocked that they told me this as I asked that very same question on TLS and received really good feedback. Let's just say my typing has improved and I'll be typing my exams.

Don't get sucked in. Keep your eyes on the prize!
The bottom of the class doesn't need any help in getting there, why would they tell them this?


Hell if I know. I'm not listening.

User avatar
Jarndyce
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby Jarndyce » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:So we had our prof give a long speech on how the most important thing to getting A's in law school is briefing every case and reading every case thoroughly. Both of which TLS has taught me never to do. I came into law school with the intention of never briefing and pulling them all from google and skimming cases to get the gist of it while devoting my time to hornbooks, E&E's and black letter law (much like most top performers on here suggest). Now all of my fellow section mates are laughing at me for not briefing or reading the cases and I am slipping into reading the cases a bit more thoroughly (havent started briefing yet, dont think I will ever get tempted to). Thoughts? Is my strategy still a good one?


I will brief until I have it down, but I will focus my efforts on the final exam. Don't get sucked in! They told me at orientation that it's alright if we hand-write our exams. We don't have to type them. I was shocked that they told me this as I asked that very same question on TLS and received really good feedback. Let's just say my typing has improved and I'll be typing my exams.

Don't get sucked in. Keep your eyes on the prize!
The bottom of the class doesn't need any help in getting there, why would they tell them this?


Hell if I know. I'm not listening.


For the record, you probably should be listening. Even if you take a different approach than what is being proposed, you should probably keep in mind that law school professors had to be pretty successful to get where they have gotten. Maybe even more successful than a bunch of anonymous posters on an internet message board. :)

BTW, I briefed almost every case last year. Top 5%. Do what works for you- not what everyone else tells you to do.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Jarndyce wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
I will brief until I have it down, but I will focus my efforts on the final exam. Don't get sucked in! They told me at orientation that it's alright if we hand-write our exams. We don't have to type them. I was shocked that they told me this as I asked that very same question on TLS and received really good feedback. Let's just say my typing has improved and I'll be typing my exams.

Don't get sucked in. Keep your eyes on the prize!
The bottom of the class doesn't need any help in getting there, why would they tell them this?


Hell if I know. I'm not listening.


For the record, you probably should be listening. Even if you take a different approach than what is being proposed, you should probably keep in mind that law school professors had to be pretty successful to get where they have gotten. Maybe even more successful than a bunch of anonymous posters on an internet message board. :)

BTW, I briefed almost every case last year. Top 5%. Do what works for you- not what everyone else tells you to do.


I'm not listening to the part where they stated that we can hand-write our exams. I'm typing mine. I am going to listen to the part where they said to brief cases. :)

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby Bankhead » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 pm

You need to (1) learn the law and (2) learn how to take the prof's exam.

Briefing may help you with (1), it will not help you with (2). Briefing may not be the most efficient way to learn (1), but finding an alternative is up to you.

If you do (1) and (2) successfully, you will do well.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Part of doing well is learning to pick out the important stuff.

I don't think you need to do a full-on brief, but making sure you understand the cases is important.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:34 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:39 pm

I try to get sucked on.

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby horriblegb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 am

kalvano wrote:Part of doing well is learning to pick out the important stuff.

I don't think you need to do a full-on brief, but making sure you understand the cases is important.



Thats all I have been doing to prepare, I write it down to organize it in my mind. I tend to be the type of reader who skims, so it has really helped me focus so far, but we will see

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby jayn3 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:02 am

Rocky Estoppel wrote:I try to get sucked on.

i only opened this thread because i thought it said "off."

StudentAthlete
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:48 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby StudentAthlete » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 am

I briefed cases throughout my first semester and half 2nd of 1L. I'm not sure if there is any litmus test as to what you should do, but it worked well for me. I guess opinions vary

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 am

jayn3 wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:I try to get sucked on.

i only opened this thread because i thought it said "off."


+1!

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby goosey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:10 am

For what its worth, I plan on briefing using the leews method--I also think there's a difference between briefing for yourself (ie to learn the material, pick out law, etc) and briefing to prep for class. I've read many of the guides on here as well, and my impression is that the latter is what is discouraged. Most people did not say they relied mostly on supplements, but said that they did all the assigned reading. One even mentioned staying a week ahead in the readings.

I really don't think you can supplement your way to the top. Everybody says that one should really pay attention to what their professor's point of view is--considering the class discussion will center around the reading, doing all the reading instead of just reading supplements will probably be more conducive to this, seeing as you need to know what he's referring to in order to know what the hell his pov is.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby legends159 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am

I never briefed cases but I did use the time saved to read and outline supplements and likely spent more time doing work than those who did brief

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:22 am

There are classes where knowing the cases is essential, and classes where it isn't that important. It also depends on the professor. If the professor is going to want you to cite cases in your exam, you had better know them. There are crim law profs who want you to know cases because they will ask you to look at a fact pattern and you will have to differentiate what happened in a case with what happened in the fact pattern.

There isn't any cookie cutter way to doing it. I'm pretty confident in saying this: if you go along not knowing cases in every class you take, somewhere along the way you're going to fail spectacularly.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:53 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:I try to get sucked on.

i only opened this thread because i thought it said "off."


+1!

Since you posted earlier in the thread, I don't think you know what "+1" means.

Jessep
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby Jessep » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm

I didn't read all of the responses, so I apologize if I am repeating.

Be careful about focusing on hornbooks, E&E's, etc. I know people that did this and studied a lot of stuff our professor did not cover. I thought reading the cases themselves were helpful, though I would not review them in painstaking detail.

It is a waste of time to read supplements that cover material outside of the syllabus, because professors do not test on material that is not on the syllabus. I'd recommend reading the cases carefully, paying attention in class and then using supplements as a reference to clarify points that you do not understand from the readings/class. If you do not pay attention in class and read the cases assigned you risk not having a framework from which to study. Without a framework it is easy to start covering material that will not be on the exam.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:10 pm

To the people who do not read the cases:

What do you do instead? Just read EE's and hornbooks? I mean, if you aren't reading the cases, then how are you spending your time and what are you doing to prepare for class/exams?

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Trying not to get sucked in!!!

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:26 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:I try to get sucked on.

i only opened this thread because i thought it said "off."


+1!

Since you posted earlier in the thread, I don't think you know what "+1" means.


You're probably right.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], LadyJ218 and 9 guests