Law School Confidential - highlighting/typing and workload

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rocketman

Law School Confidential - highlighting/typing and workload

Postby rocketman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:09 pm

I just got done reading this book and, as it seems to be highly recommended by most everyone, had a few questions.

1) I see it was published in 2004. Has any of the advice become obsolete?

2) He makes a very interesting suggestion to highlight casebooks in different colors (with accordance to certain criteria) and then, rather than type notes during class, just pay attention and write important points in the margin. What are everyone's thoughts on this? My impression had always been that it is critical to type down every word uttered by the professor for later consultation, so as to ensure that nothing potentially valuable is missed. I suppose this is primarily personal preference, but what would you all recommend? I'm mainly curious just because his suggestion so starkly contrasts with what I had been led to believe.

3) He says that you spend about 9 hours a day studying - 1 hour outlining for each of that day's 3 classes (3 total), and then roughly 2 hours reading for each of that day's 3 classes (6 total). Confusing because earlier in the book, when describing the workload of law school, he implores the reader to ask himself whether he can handle 3 hours of reading per day. In addition, most of my friends who have gone through law school have told me they typically spent 3 hours reading each day and then spent the weekends outlining. Obviously, again, its personal preference as to how long one wants to put off their outlining, but I plan (at least ideally) to outline daily...my question is with regard to actual reading - is 6 hours per day on the high end or par for the course?

bk1

Re: Law School Confidential - highlighting/typing and workload

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:35 pm

It's recommended as a general overview of what law school will be like, not a guide on what to do. Most people mock those who actually go with the highlighter method (as in, don't do it unless you really are a highlighter person).

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm

That's unfortunate - it sounded like a good idea.

What about the workload? Does 9hours/day sound right?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm

rocketman wrote:That's unfortunate - it sounded like a good idea.

If you stay diligent on the weekends, and don't procrastinate much during the week, I can't possibly see why it would be necessary to spend 9 hrs a day studying.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:39 pm

rocketman wrote:That's unfortunate - it sounded like a good idea.

If it sounds like a good idea to you, and you like highlighting, you should do it. I don't think anyone argues that it will make you unsuccessful, some people just consider it excessive, or not fitting their style.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

I could care less if you highlight your books but if I see a pile of highlighters and a book that looks like a rainbow I'd probably mock you.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:12 pm

So you're saying it's possible you could care less, implying that you do care on some level?

OP, go with whatever works for you. If you understand the material after reading it once, good for you. Go get a beer. Don't think in terms of how much time you have to study. Think in terms of how long to gain understanding.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Just started 1L and I dig the highlighter method. You might look like a tool doing it, but it saves a lot of time when you're writing out your brief. Also, in the oft chance your professor bans laptops from the class room (can't use control "F"), you'll be glad you highlighted when called upon to discuss a case (specifically, highlighted the way suggested by LSC). I've found after highlighting a case I can write out a functional brief in two minutes without having to go back and re-read sections of the case.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:50 pm

kalvano wrote:So you're saying it's possible you could care less, implying that you do care on some level?

[/b]OP, go with whatever works for you. If you understand the material after reading it once, good for you. Go get a beer. Don't think in terms of how much time you have to study. Think in terms of how long to gain understanding.[/b]

I wonder if someone could program a bot that would automatically post this every time a question like this is asked?

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 pm

My holy grail -> casenotes and/or legalines. They shaved about four hours of studying off the daily schedule.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm

inchoate_con wrote:My holy grail -> casenotes and/or legalines. They shaved about four hours of studying off the daily schedule.

Wow really? And you don't feel like you compromised any understanding by relying more on those pre-made briefs? I saw that there is a casenotes book keyed to my Civ Pro text. I'm guessing you would recommend picking that up.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Haha, you're right my understanding was not compromised. I read the cases, but... well, you'll see. If you Civ Pro is Subrin, Minow, Brodin, and Main, send me a PM.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Anyone else on the highlighter method. Appearing like a tool is a worthwhile sacrifice.

findlayswimmer28

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 pm

I am a 2L and I use the highlighter method. I have kind of morphed it to my needs, but I found it tremendously helpful when I got called on in class.

StudentAthlete

Postby StudentAthlete » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:16 am

The highlighter method does sound like a good idea. During my 1L I used it some and it was pretty effective.

However, for the 9 hr a day thing, that's not necessary if you stay up on your work (I think the other guy said this already).. The cliche of "time management" rings very true in law school. Also, 9 hrs a day will burn you out before October most likely. hth

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm a 1 week old 1L, so take it for what it's worth, but I'm using a bit of a hybrid of the highlighter method.

I highlight similar to the method described in LSC except I only use 1 color (I haven't found it too tough to separate holding from fact yet) and I try to highlight as sparingly as possible. We'll see how it goes.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:34 pm

I still hate getting called on in class, and color coded highlighting gives me something to quickly focus on before my brain completely checks out. Just try different methods until you find one that works for you.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:24 pm

Most classes only require reading 4-5 cases per class. Pretty easy to remember the facts/issues in each case. Highlighters will only cause you, or someone near you, to have a seizure from looking at the pages in your casebook.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:16 pm

pandacot wrote:Most classes only require reading 4-5 cases per class. Pretty easy to remember the facts/issues in each case. Highlighters will only cause you, or someone near you, to have a seizure from looking at the pages in your casebook.

Unless you have several like 4 classes in one day. Remembering 20 fact patterns/issues at the drop of a hat isn't as easy. Unless you're highlighting the entire page, nobody should suffer medical setbacks from your casebook. lol

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 pm

jennylynn wrote:
pandacot wrote:Most classes only require reading 4-5 cases per class. Pretty easy to remember the facts/issues in each case. Highlighters will only cause you, or someone near you, to have a seizure from looking at the pages in your casebook.

Unless you have several like 4 classes in one day. Remembering 20 fact patterns/issues at the drop of a hat isn't as easy. Unless you're highlighting the entire page, nobody should suffer medical setbacks from your casebook. lol

This is what I generally think of when someone talks about highlighting. I would see students open their books and 2/3rds of the page was highlighted in multiple colors. I had an amusing conversation with a professor about what the students could possibly find interesting enough to highlight.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:20 pm

pandacot wrote:
jennylynn wrote:

This is what I generally think of when someone talks about highlighting. I would see students open their books and 2/3rds of the page was highlighted in multiple colors. I had an amusing conversation with a professor about what the students could possibly find interesting enough to highlight.

i underline/write notes instead of highlight, but i always do too much of it. this is why i'm planning to re-read what i've underlined and type what's actually relevant into my notes for the upcoming class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”