Academic Probation and Organization Membership Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Troubled2L

New

Academic Probation and Organization Membership

Post by Troubled2L » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi,

Right now I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. My first year in law school did not turn out as I had planned. I consider myself quite bright and successful, outside of my 1L grades, which have landed me on academic probation. While I should have perhaps waited another year to enter law school, a terrible situation outside my control which I have finally overcome, was the main determination of my low grades. This problem in essence could have been anything as it is not my current dilemma.

The issue that I am facing currently is a leadership position that I entered in an organization at my law school last semester. The student code of conduct clearly states that I cannot hold such a leadership position with my current G.P.A. and academic probation status. This is now causing me great stress and potential embarrassment, on top of the fact that I actually earned such low grades. I have just completed a summer as successful summer associate for a firm excelling while learning a great amount during this period. I know that I want to be a lawyer and I will be successful. My future plans are not an issue for me.

Currently no one from academic affairs or my organization has contacted me about this situation which makes me wonder if this would ever surface next semester? However, hiding this would conflict with my core beliefs of honesty and playing by the rules. (Yes even though I want to be a lawyer). I am confident that I can improve my grades next semester and should be able to meet the requirements of the school and the organization. This would allow me to avoid potential blacklisting and shame from being a failure as a 1L and develop contacts that I most certainly will need in order to get a job after school is over.

So this is the dilemma that I face, I could break the rules which perhaps no one will know or care that I did and continue my role (albeit minor) with the organization while breaking the rules. The second option would be to follow the rules and my principles while facing shame of relinquishing my position and loosing potential networking opportunities?

I apologize for the length. I would appreciate any feedback on the matter, especially from anyone with experience within law school administration. The anonymity of this forum seems to be the only way to ask about this subject as I do not know if I can safely speak to any of my professors about this matter.

Thank you,

T2L

surenough

New

Re: Academic Probation and Organization Membership

Post by surenough » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:16 am

I think you should obviously come clean about this. I wouldn't compromise my principles for a "networking opportunity." I mean even if you stay at the organization, you'll be thinking about what you did, and I don't see how you can truly benefit from the experience, if you are constantly looking behind your back.

I think you should discuss your situation with the Dean of Academic Affairs. If you explain your personal issues, there is a good chance you can keep your post.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 am

TL;DR. Drop out of law school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 am

Many law students deal with personal issues, but due to your low grades, academic probation & law school rules, you have to give-up your leadership position in this mystery student activity. After reading your post & sensing your level of anxiety over a seemingly minor issue of sacrificing an extracurricular activity to focus on your law school work, I think that your priorities need to be readjusted.

Troubled2L

New

Post by Troubled2L » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. After reviewing the panic about my situation, the answer is pretty clear. I must leave the organization. Since I was quite young I have had the main position of responsibility in my family which I found manageable. With this responsibility I was able to succeed in undergrad and later in my post grad career. Last year during law school my family fell apart, which I knew would happen eventually. Unfortunately, my parents decided not to take care of my younger siblings. This left me in the position of making arrangements for them. My siblings are now in a stable home where they are safe and can grow up and be happy, but I am in law school purgatory. In retrospect, taking a leave of absence last Thanksgiving would have been the best course of action.

Disco Barred makes a good point about calling it quits, but I find this hard to manage as this has been my dream for many years. With a family like mine, I spent many hours in court, studying law and I really enjoy it. I now have an extra 20-30 hours a week which I can spend on school. I figure that one more semester couldn't hurt even though I have missed out on law review and moot court. The sad irony is that family issues always seem to flare up during the holidays, exactly when finals occur. Either way, I didn’t want to make this just another sad post which there are plenty of in my original post, but so it became.

I suppose I will have to find other networking opportunities this semester.

I appreciate your time,

T2L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:39 pm

disco_barred wrote:TL;DR. Drop out of law school.
You risk over doing the apathetic douche bag response.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:43 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Impossible. I am very discerning.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:52 pm

disco_barred wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Impossible. I am very discerning.
...and there you over did it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”