Old fart 1Ls

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mpasi

Re: The 1L Old Fart thread (25+)

Postby mpasi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Someone being a complete moron doesn't mean you're old.

Postby 2807 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 pm

mpasi wrote:Someone being a complete moron doesn't mean you're old.

Ha. Bless you.

Now, I shall nap.

...that probably does not help...

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:46 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
TommyK wrote:And this is kind of what gets people into trouble. Everybody remembers the non-traditional student who went back to college and shared a handful of classes with you. She* believed she was so smart that she had to raise her hand several times in every class to enrich the discussion and the enfuse our learning with her real life experience.

Look - I don't think your experience as a retail store assistant manager really can help enrich our understanding of the Fed's monetary policies, or the international relationships prior to the Franco-Prussian war.

I think it's justified to feel good about what you've accomplished and whatever path you take. As somebody who is going to start law school when he's 30, I know I'm going to have to pay extra attention to make sure I don't do that. I'd hate to turn into one of those age-induced gunners.

So feel good about your chances. Just don't be "that guy/girl"

*used feminine pronoun arbitrarily. I realize that being an obnoxious gunner has no relationship to gender. Both sexes are equally capable of wasting professors' and students' time.

From what I've seen, very few gunners are older.

The problem is older students tend to get asked questions by the professors more often or are the only ones who can answer some questions.

If you have/had a presoviouse profession that applies to the class the prof will go to you, like the two doctors in my torts class who always got asked about the injuries in the cases. or the guy who was a state congressmen who was default go to guy in con law.
Also contract and property, wait till the prof asks "have any of you ever signed a contract, sued to enforce a contract" or "bought a house" or other things that most of the 22 yo can't answer. Often the profs will look at the older students when asking these questions knowing odds are good you're the only ones who can add some personal experience to the discussion.

Being PT most of the time this was not an issue for me (except in propery since I put down "slumlord as my profession on the 3x5 card we had to fill out first day of class for the prof), but in the day classes I took often times I had to be on alert because profs would just default to looking at you when they asked a real-world hypo, it was annypoing since I'm not the type who actually paid attention in class. :lol:

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:24 pm

When I was in high school I knew who Bob Dylan was and some classmates didn't. Them being dumb didn't make me old @ 16.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:51 pm

There's a 22 yr old guy that I met today. He seems so innocent and unblemished. Experience in this type of environment can only be a plus.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:57 pm

existenz wrote:

When I was in high school I knew who Bob Dylan was and some classmates didn't. Them being dumb didn't make me old @ 16.

That was exactly my point.

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Matthies wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
TommyK wrote:And this is kind of what gets people into trouble. Everybody remembers the non-traditional student who went back to college and shared a handful of classes with you. She* believed she was so smart that she had to raise her hand several times in every class to enrich the discussion and the enfuse our learning with her real life experience.

Look - I don't think your experience as a retail store assistant manager really can help enrich our understanding of the Fed's monetary policies, or the international relationships prior to the Franco-Prussian war.

I think it's justified to feel good about what you've accomplished and whatever path you take. As somebody who is going to start law school when he's 30, I know I'm going to have to pay extra attention to make sure I don't do that. I'd hate to turn into one of those age-induced gunners.

*used feminine pronoun arbitrarily. I realize that being an obnoxious gunner has no relationship to gender. Both sexes are equally capable of wasting professors' and students' time.

The problem is older students tend to get asked questions by the professors more often or are the only ones who can answer some questions.

If you have/had a presoviouse profession that applies to the class the prof will go to you, like the two doctors in my torts class who always got asked about the injuries in the cases. or the guy who was a state congressmen who was default go to guy in con law.
Also contract and property, wait till the prof asks "have any of you ever signed a contract, sued to enforce a contract" or "bought a house" or other things that most of the 22 yo can't answer. Often the profs will look at the older students when asking these questions knowing odds are good you're the only ones who can add some personal experience to the discussion.

Being PT most of the time this was not an issue for me (except in propery since I put down "slumlord as my profession on the 3x5 card we had to fill out first day of class for the prof), but in the day classes I took often times I had to be on alert because profs would just default to looking at you when they asked a real-world hypo, it was annypoing since I'm not the type who actually paid attention in class. :lol:

This is true. My Contracts professor was borderline giddy when I pointed out that his UCC interpretation on a certain issue probably wouldn't hold up in a low margin industry. I went on to explain that in my line of business, his interpretation would drive us out of business in less than a year.

I think older students that are gunners are different from the younger gunners. From my experience, "older gunners" were more the type that truly enjoyed the intellectual experience of law school, not necessarily the types that were gunning for a 4.0. They will still ask a crap load of questions, but they seem to be coming from a different place. Anybody else feel the same way?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

xyzbca wrote:
I think older students that are gunners are different from the younger gunners. From my experience, "older gunners" were more the type that truly enjoyed the intellectual experience of law school, not necessarily the types that were gunning for a 4.0. They will still ask a crap load of questions, but they seem to be coming from a different place. Anybody else feel the same way?

Kind of- Now that I have a couple of years of perspective I have a much better understanding of how much money I am spending on my education and I intend to get the most I can out of it. This doesn't mean obsessing over the exam and ignoring the "busywork" of briefing cases. It means that I am actually interested in learning this stuff, and I see the prospect of employment at the end of the rainbow as a great bonus instead of my primary motivator. If asking questions about the reading or class lecture for the sake of my own intellectual fulfillment makes me a gunner, then call me Mr. AK47. :)

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
xyzbca wrote:

Kind of- Now that I have a couple of years of perspective I have a much better understanding of how much money I am spending on my education and I intend to get the most I can out of it. This doesn't mean obsessing over the exam and ignoring the "busywork" of briefing cases. It means that I am actually interested in learning this stuff, and I see the prospect of employment at the end of the rainbow as a great bonus instead of my primary motivator. If asking questions about the reading or class lecture for the sake of my own intellectual fulfillment makes me a gunner, then call me Mr. AK47. :)

Since I'm in the same boat, but of a quiet nature, call me Mr. Sniper. :P

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Matthies wrote:asked questions by the professors more often

So true....

flounder

Postby flounder » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 pm

I am looking to be a 1L in 2010.
I will be 40

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:55 pm

flounder wrote:I am looking to be a 1L in 2010.

Isn't that... now?

StudentAthlete

Postby StudentAthlete » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:36 am

xyzbca wrote:
Matthies wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

This is true. My Contracts professor was borderline giddy when I pointed out that his UCC interpretation on a certain issue probably wouldn't hold up in a low margin industry. I went on to explain that in my line of business, his interpretation would drive us out of business in less than a year.

While probably true, regardless of age, if somebody 'contributes' their 2 cents everytime the professor poses a question and especially when they do not, it can have a polarizing effect on the entire class and the professor.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:While probably true, regardless of age, if somebody 'contributes' their 2 cents everytime the professor poses a question and especially when they do not, it can have a polarizing effect on the entire class and the professor.

This is why I stoped paying attention in class after the 1st semester unless i was on call or in a class I could be expected to get randomly asked my opinion on something becuase of my background. i just never got much out of lectures, allways was less of an auditory learner than reading learner. Plus I have the attention span of a nat. Thank you jebus for 3G internet on my laptop

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Add me to the "olds" club at 28. I would like to hope beyond hope that it's an advantage, but who knows.

Though the limited amount of time I've spent with some of my classmates so far I've acted like I was 19 :oops: (*waves to said classmates if you're reading this*).
Last edited by keg411 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm

keg411 wrote:Add me to the "olds" club at 28. I would like to hope beyond hope that it's an advantage, but who knows.

Though the limited amount of time I've spent with some of my classmates so far I've acted like I was 19 :oops: (*waves if you're reading this*).

*Reading.

Just don't play toss-the-tampon and we'll be fine.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Burger in a can wrote:I don't anticipate doing keg stands and gravity bong hits with the kids either

Why the hell not? What's the point of going back to school, then?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:16 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
keg411 wrote:Add me to the "olds" club at 28. I would like to hope beyond hope that it's an advantage, but who knows.

Though the limited amount of time I've spent with some of my classmates so far I've acted like I was 19 :oops: (*waves if you're reading this*).

*Reading.

I'm 99.999% sure you are not one of my classmates.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:51 pm

keg411 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

*Reading.

I'm 99.999% sure you are not one of my classmates.

I'm 99.999% that you are correct.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Bumi wrote:Why the hell not?

Because I can think of a lot more fun and less lame ways to spend my free time.

Bumi wrote:What's the point of going back to school, then?

This is too retarded to warrant an actual response.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 pm

xyzbca wrote:
Matthies wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

Honestly, stuff like that should be saved for after class or office hours. It tends to detract from the class and the learning. FWIW I am older and have plenty of work experience.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

Different strokes. People ought to do whatever they enjoy with their free time. Earthbenders are a stoney bunch. (HAH!)

And at least out here in CA that mode of recreation is no longer only admitted to by students, etc. Although grown-up people tend to be........more grown-up about it. (Deep insight there, right?)

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Duralex wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Different strokes. People ought to do whatever they enjoy with their free time. Earthbenders are a stoney bunch. (HAH!)

And at least out here in CA that mode of recreation is no longer only admitted to by students, etc. Although grown-up people tend to be........more grown-up about it. (Deep insight there, right?)

I wasn't trying to make any judgements about substance use- just that I'm not interested, and that seeing it as the "point of going back to school" is retarded.

Older people also drink. They usually don't do keg stands. Similarly, older San Franciscans who appreciate the greener things in life aren't usually so wasteful as to engage in gravity bong hits. (I lived there for a few years.) My point is that these are two activities usually perpetrated by younger people who are so enamored of the fact that their parents aren't watching that they tend to overdo things a little.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

Yikes. It was a joke. Relax. I'm older than you are and don't do those things either.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 am

Oy, seriously. I'm waiting for "get off my lawn."

What's wasteful about gravity bong hits? I thought that was a pretty efficient way of taking it in.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”