Old fart 1Ls Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
inchoate_con

Bronze

Re: The 1L Old Fart thread (25+)

Post by inchoate_con » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
Speed rocks! I like Keanue's truck. Keanue is also a decent actor.
I couldnt agree with you more! KR gets a lotta shit talked about him, but he is one of my all-time favs: Point Break, the aforementioned Speed (too bad that assclown Jason Patric was in Speed 2: Cruise Control; although the TuneMan did make a cameo and Lauren Hutton, errr I mean the Green Goblin was pretty good), The Replacements, Matrix
You must have missed "Bill and Ted's excellent adventure."

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 pm

I love that this has become a Keanu thread!
--ImageRemoved--

But we'll probably get in trouble for being off topic, so this should keep things lawyerly:
--ImageRemoved--

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 pm

I turn 30 next week. I'm old!

How the hell did that happen?

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 am

I have to say I wasn't feeling that old until orientation today when they said the MEDIAN age is 23! Oh well, the bartender last night didn't even believe I was 21 and was giving me a hard time about my actual driver's license being authentic so I guess I still look young enough :wink:

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:28 am

FWIW, I think being an older student is beneficial for applying for 2L summer associate positions because you are taken as being more mature and generally have better work experience unlike younger people.

I am 22 and a 2L and feel that being older is beneficial during interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:38 am

When I saw the thread title I first thought "Silly Olds, school is for kids!" and then I realized I am in that age range. Dammit.

Meh, my life experience will make me better at law school. It's a lot more realistic to pull off the "treat law school like a job" thing if you've, you know, actually held down a job.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 am

Just turned 25... better check in.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:40 am

I pass for a teenager, and since I'm still pretty young at 25, I don't think it'll be a huge problem. That is, unless I do some major aging between now and Fall 2012, as a 27 year-old 1L. I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs when people in their twenties are considered "old" just because they didn't do law school straight out of undergrad. Seriously? I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but where does that thinking come from? A law firm can't use you at age 30?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 am

mpasi wrote:A law firm can't use you at age 30?
nice play on words

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:29 am

I'm 25. How is 25 old?

22 - 25 is not a big age gap IMO.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:33 am

^ naw..... your old.

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 am

sophia.olive wrote:^ naw..... your old.
This is really quite scary - this thread should be 26+. I am not old.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:24 am

32 now will be 33 and a dad when I start next fall...I'm hoping that the ease with which I fall asleep at 9:30pm will mean I'm always well rested for morning classes!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:36 am

kalvano wrote:I don't think age matters that much, until you're pushing close to 40 or so, then it might be an issue.
Bite me!

:mrgreen:

And I had to laugh when I saw the thread title... if 25+ is old fart territory, then I'm freaking ancient!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:03 am

I'm 30 and started 1L yesterday, PT. I was a bit surprised with the number of younger folks in the PT program. I was imagining I'd be surrounded by 30+, but we actually have quite a few who look 23-27.

Also, with age comes experiemce, and I am truly amazed at how many professionals are in my section with succesful careers already. In my section: 5+ school teachers, 3+ engineers, 2 chemists, 1 police officer, 1 management level police detective, 1 patent inspector, 2 or 3 paralegals, and 1 surgeon. Yes, surgeon. There was more but I can't remember them all. Talk about being a little bit intimidated on day 1.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:06 am

creatinganalt wrote:I'm 25. How is 25 old?

22 - 25 is not a big age gap IMO.
In my opinion, based on the median law school ages quoted in several of the posts here, 25 is not old. I move to strike 25 and 26 from fogey consideration. Maybe even 27. At 28 you start standing out as older I think.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:08 am

rdcws000 wrote:I'm 30 and started 1L yesterday, PT. I was a bit surprised with the number of younger folks in the PT program. I was imagining I'd be surrounded by 30+, but we actually have quite a few who look 23-27.

Also, with age comes experiemce, and I am truly amazed at how many professionals are in my section with succesful careers already. In my section: 5+ school teachers, 3+ engineers, 2 chemists, 1 police officer, 1 management level police detective, 1 patent inspector, 2 or 3 paralegals, and 1 surgeon. Yes, surgeon. There was more but I can't remember them all. Talk about being a little bit intimidated on day 1.
No need to be intimidated. *Successful people that venture to law school have to take the same road as those not as successful. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:38 am

mpasi wrote:I pass for a teenager
Lol. Gotta love those "um, is there an adult around?" or "when does the teacher get here?" moments.

Are women worried that firms will think we want children sooner than they'd like?

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:53 am

FWIW, my dad started law school at age 43, and he's mentioned that his age has been an advantage. Clients see him as being more experienced and, as a result, more trustworthy.

I'll be 25 when I start LS next fall, 28 when I graduate, and, to be honest, I am a little worried about how firms will view/treat me in terms of the inevitability of having kids. I mean, I'm not going to jump into maternity leave as soon as I start working, but how much time do you think a woman has to devote to a law firm in order to be taken seriously pre- and post-having kids?

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:14 am

That sort of thing is a grey area for employers and since it can't really be talked about openly there's a lot of kabuki involved. I'd say it depends on the firm (i.e. the attitudes and experiences of the partners--unfortunately, people who feel they've been 'burned' in the past can be wary and firms with older partners may have some generational expectations that influence their thinking.) Once you come back and stay back I think doubts tend to fade. How long you wait will have to do with your sense of how advancement works at that firm and timing it so as to remain competitive.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:17 am

afcanoe wrote:my dad started law school at age 43, and he's mentioned that his age has been an advantage.
I'm actually expecting this to be the case...I went back to grad school after working for a few years and everything seemed easier for me than folks straight out of undergrad. It's easier to treat school like a job and be productive 9-5 when you've had that experience. IMO anyways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 am

DELETED

Silver

Post by 2807 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am

How old would you be if you did not know how old you are?

Well, I would be in my mid-twenties, free and easy fun. BUT, now I am going to start law school at 39....

I have scars older than many people on here. After an injury, my career ended and I was fortunate to be able to return to school and pursue law school as I always wanted. I am used to being the old guy in class, and I like it. I have had many conversations with young guys through the last few years at UG and I always tell them, "Trust me, I come to you from the future".....

I have no fear of my age. I have lost time to nothing. My resume is strong and my experience is valuable. I think that younger people and older folks like me will balance out the classes and conversations.

You are never too old to learn, or too young to teach.

However, you can be too old to get into all of the video game nonsense. Goodgrief, go outside and play.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 am

2807 wrote:How old would you be if you did not know how old you are?

Well, I would be in my mid-twenties, free and easy fun. BUT, now I am going to start law school at 39....

I have scars older than many people on here. After an injury, my career ended and I was fortunate to be able to return to school and pursue law school as I always wanted. I am used to being the old guy in class, and I like it. I have had many conversations with young guys through the last few years at UG and I always tell them, "Trust me, I come to you from the future".....

I have no fear of my age. I have lost time to nothing. My resume is strong and my experience is valuable. I think that younger people and older folks like me will balance out the classes and conversations.

However, you can be too old to get into all of the video game nonsense. Goodgrief, go outside and play.
Is this your PS. (PS=personal statement for you oldies)

Silver

Post by 2807 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am

sophia.olive wrote:
2807 wrote:How old would you be if you did not know how old you are?

Is this your PS. (PS=personal statement for you oldies)

Ha. It is now. :)

AND GET OFF MY LAWN
Last edited by 2807 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”