Old fart 1Ls Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
StudentAthlete

New

Re: The 1L Old Fart thread (25+)

Post by StudentAthlete » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:42 am

I'm 23 and a 2L and I concede that most of the people I hang out with (studying, having a drink, etc) are 26-29, so truthfully the older students are in the majority and not the minority.

Concededly, sometimes i wish I took a few years off before entering law school, the older students seem more dedicated (Not to say I wasn't, I did finish in top 15% ha)

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:05 am

2807 wrote:
AND GET OFF MY LAWN
Bah! That's my line.

And I'm older than you, so I have dibs :D

Silver

Post by 2807 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:32 am

Iconoclast wrote:
2807 wrote:
AND GET OFF MY LAWN
Bah! That's my line.

And I'm older than you, so I have dibs :D
Haha... ok,

I bow down and hand it back to you.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:40 am

-
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:44 am

Burger in a can wrote:Just responding (again!) to everyone who is outraged at my inclusion of 25 in the oldness spectrum: Since it is possible and common to finish law school at the age of 24 or 25, I thought that starting law school at that age qualifies you as being older than some of your classmates. This is not intended as an insult to anyone. However, if you are offended, you're too sensitive. And you're old.
I think the "outrage" is that you've taken anyone who is 2 or 3 years older than the youngest members of a class and labeled them all as old farts. believe it or not, there really is some territory between the youngest students and the old farts... and in general, that territory is considered to be larger than a 2 year span :)

I'm not offended, because I actually AM an old fart. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:52 am

Am I the only 25-year-old incoming student who is *honored* to be in the Old Farts Club?

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Just responding (again!) to everyone who is outraged at my inclusion of 25 in the oldness spectrum: Since it is possible and common to finish law school at the age of 24 or 25, I thought that starting law school at that age qualifies you as being older than some of your classmates. This is not intended as an insult to anyone. However, if you are offended, you're too sensitive. And you're old.

(P.S. Oldness test: find some teenagers and hang out near them. If what they are talking about makes sense, sounds reasonable and well-examined, and is relevant to your interests then you're still young. I started teaching high school at 25 and I failed this test on day 1.)

Hahaha. Not offended. Terrified. Besides, I would argue that your average 22 year old would also fail the teenager test. This isn't the RPattz appreciation society :wink: it's law school. I just can't quite believe that being born in 1985 is a different generation to being born in 1988.

25 is not old.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:07 pm

2807 wrote: However, you can be too old to get into all of the video game nonsense. Goodgrief, go outside and play.
I'm old and still play video games!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Matthies wrote:
2807 wrote: However, you can be too old to get into all of the video game nonsense. Goodgrief, go outside and play.
+1. I think they did a study some years ago that showed that the average video gamer is 29.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
+1. I think they did a study some years ago that showed that the average video gamer is 29.
Especially if you're looking at MMO gamers. They always seem to be older for some reason...

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
Especially if you're looking at MMO gamers. They always seem to be older for some reason...
Yep and like to play female charcters. What does MMORPG stand for? Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:50 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:I'm 23 and a 2L and I concede that most of the people I hang out with (studying, having a drink, etc) are 26-29, so truthfully the older students are in the majority and not the minority.

Concededly, sometimes i wish I took a few years off before entering law school, the older students seem more dedicated (Not to say I wasn't, I did finish in top 15% ha)
I went part time so the median age in my class was about 35. We had a much higher GPA to rank than the FT class. Its not so much that the older students where more dedicated I think, at least in my class, as much as they were really good at time management and staying on task. Numbers 1-3 in my class all worked fulltime and had kids. I think having kids, working fulltime for a few years and such makes you better at managing your time and less fucking off. I mean when you only got 3-4 hours a night to study after class till 1Am and get up at 6 get the kids ready for school, then to work, then back at class at 5:30PM you don't procrastinate much, you can't.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Haribo wrote:Not going to lie, I'm scared too :) Last year I was hanging out with some just out of college kids, and one made the comment that "well, in our generation blah blah blah" to me... I was only 5 years older than her! That's the same generation!!

I'm 29 now. Hopefully it's a positive and not a negative.
I've noticed a significant difference between the average individual born on the x/y divide and those born deep within gen y.

Besides, nothing to worry about. Unless you're creepy, the kids will like you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Yep and like to play female charcters. What does MMORPG stand for? Many Men Online Role Playing Girls[/quote]

Hah, I haven't heard that before, it's pretty funny.

No real surprise... If you're staring at a character for hours on end, and you're a red-blooded male, why wouldn't you want the prettiest thing to look at?

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:05 pm

bilbobaggins wrote: Besides, nothing to worry about. Unless you're creepy, the kids will like you.
Damnit... I'm in trouble! :P

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:09 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
mpasi wrote:I pass for a teenager
Lol. Gotta love those "um, is there an adult around?" or "when does the teacher get here?" moments.

I get the "are you excited about school starting next week?" questions. Most people are shocked to find out I'm actually 25.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote: Besides, nothing to worry about. Unless you're creepy, the kids will like you.
Damnit... I'm in trouble! :P
What's creepy about a middle aged, bald, married man with kids flirting with mid-20-somethings?..oh wait...crap I'm creepy too

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:25 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
kalvano wrote:The oldest I've ever felt was in the video store a few years ago, and two kids were looking at Speed, and one asked the other what it was about, and the other said he didn't know.

Everyone my age knew what Speed was about.

/killself.
haha, how could somebody not know the story of lieutenant Jack Travens?!? "They were cans, they were cans...it was full of cans!"
It's a lot like Speed 2, but with a bus instead of a boat

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 pm

TommyK wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
kalvano wrote:The oldest I've ever felt was in the video store a few years ago, and two kids were looking at Speed, and one asked the other what it was about, and the other said he didn't know.

/killself.
haha, how could somebody not know the story of lieutenant Jack Travens?!? "They were cans, they were cans...it was full of cans!"
:lol:

Simpsons I think?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Knockglock wrote:
TommyK wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

/killself.
:lol:

Simpsons I think?
Yep, good catch 8)

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:38 pm

And this is kind of what gets people into trouble. Everybody remembers the non-traditional student who went back to college and shared a handful of classes with you. She* believed she was so smart that she had to raise her hand several times in every class to enrich the discussion and the enfuse our learning with her real life experience.

Look - I don't think your experience as a retail store assistant manager really can help enrich our understanding of the Fed's monetary policies, or the international relationships prior to the Franco-Prussian war.

I think it's justified to feel good about what you've accomplished and whatever path you take. As somebody who is going to start law school when he's 30, I know I'm going to have to pay extra attention to make sure I don't do that. I'd hate to turn into one of those age-induced gunners.

So feel good about your chances. Just don't be "that guy/girl"

*used feminine pronoun arbitrarily. I realize that being an obnoxious gunner has no relationship to gender. Both sexes are equally capable of wasting professors' and students' time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm

TommyK wrote:And this is kind of what gets people into trouble. Everybody remembers the non-traditional student who went back to college and shared a handful of classes with you. She* believed she was so smart that she had to raise her hand several times in every class to enrich the discussion and the enfuse our learning with her real life experience.

Look - I don't think your experience as a retail store assistant manager really can help enrich our understanding of the Fed's monetary policies, or the international relationships prior to the Franco-Prussian war.

I think it's justified to feel good about what you've accomplished and whatever path you take. As somebody who is going to start law school when he's 30, I know I'm going to have to pay extra attention to make sure I don't do that. I'd hate to turn into one of those age-induced gunners.

*used feminine pronoun arbitrarily. I realize that being an obnoxious gunner has no relationship to gender. Both sexes are equally capable of wasting professors' and students' time.
From what I've seen, very few gunners are older.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:05 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
TommyK wrote:And this is kind of what gets people into trouble. Everybody remembers the non-traditional student who went back to college and shared a handful of classes with you. She* believed she was so smart that she had to raise her hand several times in every class to enrich the discussion and the enfuse our learning with her real life experience.

From what I've seen, very few gunners are older.
See? they're following my advice already *pats self on back*

Disproportionally few or just fewer than traditional-aged?

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:07 pm

kalvano wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:I'm 29 as well and I'll admit that I was a little bit hesitant regarding age, but after day 1 of orientation I feel pretty confident that it will be a non-issue. In fact, the more I looked around and listened to some of the discussions, I feel it's going to be an advantage....I hope.

I heard some kids across the street talking about how 'Lil Wayne is the most "prolithic [sic]" rapper. I felt wicked old.

The oldest I've ever felt was in the video store a few years ago, and two kids were looking at Speed, and one asked the other what it was about, and the other said he didn't know.

/killself.
:shock:

oldster reporting for duty.
I love that 25+ is the older threshold. I guess I'm in the "pants past the navel" category too. Which is kind of hilarious because I've just spent four years being the youngest of the particular set of colleagues I associate with now.

ETA "get off my lawn" is TCR :lol: :lol: :lol:

Silver

Post by 2807 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm

My "old" moment came in a U.S. History class a few semesters back when a student gave a speech about post WW2 life in the USA. She put up slides showing characters from the show "Happy Days" and said she had no idea what this show is, and had never seen it, but her research indicated it was show about how life was in the 1950s.

I loved that.

And, the kid next to me had never heard of Fleetwood Mac. Hahahahha... damn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”