Books my prof recommended...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dakatz

Books my prof recommended...

Postby dakatz » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:17 pm

So my torts prof for the upcoming semester recommended that we get the 4th edition of Glannon's E&E (the website with book recommendations defaults to whatever the newest edition is). I have a totally clean used copy of the 2nd edition of this book that a former student gave me. Are the differences between the editions substantial enough to warrant spending 40 bucks on it? As opposed to the free copy I have sitting around that was published in 2000?

I have the same issue with the recommended civil procedure supplement on my book list. The prof recommended "Civil Procedure: Concepts and Insights". The newest edition was published in 2009, but someone I know offered me a like new copy of the 2005 edition for 5 bucks, as opposed to the 40+ the 2009 edition would cost. Again, is it better to just go with an edition published a few years ago, or are the differences too important?

ChattelCat

Re: Books my prof recommended...

Postby ChattelCat » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:44 pm

dakatz wrote:So my torts prof for the upcoming semester recommended that we get the 4th edition of Glannon's E&E (the website with book recommendations defaults to whatever the newest edition is). I have a totally clean used copy of the 2nd edition of this book that a former student gave me. Are the differences between the editions substantial enough to warrant spending 40 bucks on it? As opposed to the free copy I have sitting around that was published in 2000?

I have the same issue with the recommended civil procedure supplement on my book list. The prof recommended "Civil Procedure: Concepts and Insights". The newest edition was published in 2009, but someone I know offered me a like new copy of the 2005 edition for 5 bucks, as opposed to the 40+ the 2009 edition would cost. Again, is it better to just go with an edition published a few years ago, or are the differences too important?

With Torts I think you should be fine. There might be different hypos, but the law will be the same. With Civ Pro you want to get an edition from 2007 or later. There was a major overhaul to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure in 2007 so the earlier edition will have incorrect information in it.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:49 pm

ChattelCat wrote:
dakatz wrote:So my torts prof for the upcoming semester recommended that we get the 4th edition of Glannon's E&E (the website with book recommendations defaults to whatever the newest edition is). I have a totally clean used copy of the 2nd edition of this book that a former student gave me. Are the differences between the editions substantial enough to warrant spending 40 bucks on it? As opposed to the free copy I have sitting around that was published in 2000?

With Torts I think you should be fine. There might be different hypos, but the law will be the same. With Civ Pro you want to get an edition from 2007 or later. There was a major overhaul to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure in 2007 so the earlier edition will have incorrect information in it.

Hmm, ok so then I will probably shell out the cash for the newer version of the civ pro book. I have an older version of the E&E for Civ Pro that someone gave me as well. Guess that one is equally useless. Oh well.

Ignatius J. Reilly

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Without question, you should go with E&E for Civil Procedure.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Ignatius J. Reilly wrote:

Even though the prof specifically suggested something else? Ugg, I just shelled out 40 for a new copy of the recommended supplement. Though the school has the E&E for Civ Pro on reserve so I can read and consult it any day, so perhaps it won't be a prob if I don't specifically own it myself. Does it make sense to just read the E&E from the library or is it essential to own it?

Wavelet

Postby Wavelet » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:36 am

If your torts class covers products liability (check the syllabus or ask a 2L who had the professor), make sure the 2nd edition of the Torts E&E covers it. I think Glannon added coverage of products liability at some point, and I don't know which editions don't have it.

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 am

From my experience, there wasn't a simple supplement I should have purchased in law school other than canned case briefs. E&E's, Nutshells, etc. would have been fine to just borrow from library because I didn't consult them on a regular basis. However, everyone is different. I bought tons of supplements that went to waste.

I'd hold off and try the library first.

Ignatius J. Reilly

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:57 pm

dakatz wrote:
Ignatius J. Reilly wrote:

Even though the prof specifically suggested something else? Ugg, I just shelled out 40 for a new copy of the recommended supplement. Though the school has the E&E for Civ Pro on reserve so I can read and consult it any day, so perhaps it won't be a prob if I don't specifically own it myself. Does it make sense to just read the E&E from the library or is it essential to own it?

I found the E&E for Civ Pro to be very helpful because of the amount of problems you can work on at the end of the chapters. Some of the concepts can get pretty complicated, so it helps to work the problems. And for me, I wrote my answers in the margins, so it was worth it to purchase the book.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”