Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gwuorbust

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:30 pm

solotee wrote:Does anyone else notice the amount of study groups around them? That's all I hear around me, diff. ppl in diff study groups, scheduling diff. times to meet...

I admit, I kind of feel like a badass going at this alone. Nearly everyone in my small section is in a study group. I refuse to participate.

I'm part of a three man study group. Be we don't share much besides hypos and mostly we just meet sometimes to keep each other motivated (and me off this infernal website; coincidently, I'm not sitting near any of them right now..cause and effect?). cause ya, you've gotta do you own shit - there is no way around that.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:38 pm

solotee wrote:Does anyone else notice the amount of study groups around them? That's all I hear around me, diff. ppl in diff study groups, scheduling diff. times to meet...

I admit, I kind of feel like a badass going at this alone. Nearly everyone in my small section is in a study group. I refuse to participate.

I find hypos/PTs with model answers to be more helpful than study groups... and there are plenty of hypos/PTs with model answers to keep me busy.

I suppose it's just a personal preference.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:05 pm

stocksly33 wrote:

I find hypos/PTs with model answers to be more helpful than study groups... and there are plenty of hypos/PTs with model answers to keep me busy.

I suppose it's just a personal preference.

Does anyone know where to get some good practice exams with model answers? I found a few exams from various schools' websites, but very few of them have model answers to go along with them. I'm definitely planning on doing some practice exams over Thanksgiving break.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:27 pm

What supplements are people using for Ks? I have the EE and the Gilbert's, and I've heard good things about Chirelstein. Anything else I'm missing?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:What supplements are people using for Ks? I have the EE and the Gilbert's, and I've heard good things about Chirelstein. Anything else I'm missing?

Chirelstein is basically restating the obvious. It's a good overview to read before school, but it doesn't tell you anything you won't understand from going to class and reading the cases.

Personally, the only supplements I have found useful to actually read are the E&Es, because of the little practice questions that test your understanding. Sometimes, commercial outlines can help when making your own outline.

With that said, our professor highly recommended Farnsworth on Contracts if we wanted to use a supplement. I ordered it on half.com last week. I don't know if it's any good or not yet, though.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 pm

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What supplements are people using for Ks? I have the EE and the Gilbert's, and I've heard good things about Chirelstein. Anything else I'm missing?
With that said, our professor highly recommended Farnsworth on Contracts if we wanted to use a supplement. I ordered it on half.com last week. I don't know if it's any good or not yet, though.

Thanks buddy. I also have the Farnsworth casebook so maybe that would be helpful.

How'd your memo turn out?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Farnsworth on Contracts is intensely boring. I mean throat-slashing boring.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Crunchtime is handy for the flowcharts. You might also consider grabbing a set of flashcards.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 pm

kalvano wrote:Farnsworth on Contracts is intensely boring. I mean throat-slashing boring.

Is there anything useful in it? I think I mostly understand the concepts in contracts. None of them are rocket science -- it's just that there is so many of them. But I found a cheap version and it's being shipped as I speak so I guess I'll have the chance to find out for myself.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 am

JCougar wrote:

Chirelstein is basically restating the obvious. It's a good overview to read before school, but it doesn't tell you anything you won't understand from going to class and reading the cases.

I like Chirelstein, but my Ks prof prides himself on hiding the ball as much as possible. In the words of a TA, "he doesn't even bring the ball to class."

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 am

Talked to one of my profs about a practice exam yesterday and basically found out he tests from the notes cases. Yay? :?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 am

Torts: Easy, but everyone thinks that too. Its all going to be about what type of formatting and style the prof wants.

Contracts: Pretty happy because most of my section is freaking out saying they dont understand anything and I think this is my best class.

Civ Pro: This isn't going to be an A but I accepted that. I am thoroughly convinced I have the toughest Civ Pro prof in the nation (I'm sure everything thinks that, but at least compared to the other sections it seems like what they have is absolute cake). I know I cannot impress in the A range here, but a B+ would be Christmas.

Crim: The prof is out of control. We have learned nothing but theories of why a criminal should or shouldnt be punished on a philosophical level. We have studied very little elements and he gets lost during lectures and forgets what he was talking about. I could have skipped this whole semester, skimmed the supplement and been just as far along as everyone else. Not even sure what to outline for the exam.

Hell aka Legal Writing: memo done, out of my hands now.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:12 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Torts: Easy, but everyone thinks that too. Its all going to be about what type of formatting and style the prof wants.

Contracts: Pretty happy because most of my section is freaking out saying they dont understand anything and I think this is my best class.

Civ Pro: This isn't going to be an A but I accepted that. I am thoroughly convinced I have the toughest Civ Pro prof in the nation (I'm sure everything thinks that, but at least compared to the other sections it seems like what they have is absolute cake). I know I cannot impress in the A range here, but a B+ would be Christmas.

Crim: The prof is out of control. We have learned nothing but theories of why a criminal should or shouldnt be punished on a philosophical level. We have studied very little elements and he gets lost during lectures and forgets what he was talking about. I could have skipped this whole semester, skimmed the supplement and been just as far along as everyone else. Not even sure what to outline for the exam.

Hell aka Legal Writing: memo done, out of my hands now.

Dude, are you like in my section or something? 'cause this feels like an exact description of my classes.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:14 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Crim: The prof is out of control. We have learned nothing but theories of why a criminal should or shouldnt be punished on a philosophical level. We have studied very little elements and he gets lost during lectures and forgets what he was talking about. I could have skipped this whole semester, skimmed the supplement and been just as far along as everyone else. Not even sure what to outline for the exam.

From what I can tell, that goes for every crim professor. The good thing about these types of crim professors is that everyone is lost; it seems like most people in my class are putting their energies elsewhere. If you put forth enough effort to teach yourself, its a good opportunity for a high grade.

I'm doing a full outline (god that sucker is long), but I'm also making a chart with columns for majority/minority/MPC rules and elements, important differences, and maybe 1-3 theory of punishment points. Dressler is good for getting all of this information.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:17 am

Most of these supplements are a bit thick. Anyone got a good list of supplements for the supplements?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 pm

My crim professor just makes us write and interpret statues and he will give us whatever viewpoint we need to answer the questions. Score.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:23 pm

anyone else find that they've learned essentially everything since starting the outlining process

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:44 pm

rejectmaster wrote:anyone else find that they've learned essentially everything since starting the outlining process

Yeah, I'm also pretty surprised that everything is falling into place.

... A little bit too well for my tastes. God, this is deceptive.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:51 pm

dude i will say that i really had no idea what was going on for the first few months

but i was a science major so i am used to that

for me, its all about developing a context for yourself and then putting everything into place.. i (and many others i'm sure) have decided that the casebook is a really useless learning tool and once a frame is developed the specifics will fall into place.

i took my syllabuses (syllabi?) and removed everything but the headings and read over that a few times to give myself a roadmap of what i need to do. once i did that, i did some E&E reading and honestly, as pathetic and un-academic as this may sound, looked crap up on the internet so that i could grasp the basic contexts before trying to learn by the case method... i think the best way to learn is from the outside in, and law school seems to be organized from the inside out.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:57 pm

So all the outlines are done, I did the relevant portions of the torts E&E (no PTs for this class), made a study schedule that will reasonable allow me to do all the available PTs for the other two classes before exams, and now I have NO motivation.

HALP.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:04 am

take a day off

chill hard tomorrow, get lit up during the day and return refreshed sunday

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:07 am

rad law wrote:So all the outlines are done, I did the relevant portions of the torts E&E (no PTs for this class), made a study schedule that will reasonable allow me to do all the available PTs for the other two classes before exams, and now I have NO motivation.

HALP.

1. Take day off.
2. Consume gratuitous quantities of alcohol.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Honestly, you want to do everything you can to do well, but burning through your limited number of old tests when you have no motivation to put together a coherent and well crafted answer is just wasting your time and resources and likely to frustrate you.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:20 am

FUCK YOU BSOD, I GOT ALL MY FILES BACK YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE

eandy

Postby eandy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:14 pm

This morning I woke up all bright eyed and ready to go study. I walked to the library only to find that because it was a football saturday, the lib was not yet open(8am) and wouldn't open until 10am. I thought, "Oh, ok. I'll just try to make myself sleep 2 more hours." FAIL. I just woke up a few minutes ago.
Exams start Wednesday.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:07 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=139182

If any of you are capable of helping me with this topic, I would appreciate it!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”