Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdubb990

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby jdubb990 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 am

I want to break up w/ my girlfriend, I don't need her emotional shit during exam prep. These are two of the most important weeks of my life and she wants attention. Psssh.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:13 am

jdubb990 wrote:I want to break up w/ my girlfriend, I don't need her emotional shit during exam prep. These are two of the most important weeks of my life and she wants attention. Psssh.

Ha, that's awful. Tell her to stop it.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 am

I'm somehow still loving this law school thing, even with exams in 2.5 weeks. The challenge is exhilarating and the general 1L mania is hilarious. It's hard, sure -- but this isn't WWIII.

Shit, we're lucky to even have this opportunity to begin with. All I can do is work my ass off all day, sleep well at night, and know that the end result will reflect my best efforts relative to those of my classmates. SOUNDS FAIR 2 ME, right?

Good luck errbody!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:00 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I'm somehow still loving this law school thing, even with exams in 2.5 weeks. The challenge is exhilarating and the general 1L mania is hilarious. It's hard, sure -- but this isn't WWIII.

Shit, we're lucky to even have this opportunity to begin with. All I can do is work my ass off all day, sleep well at night, and know that the end result will reflect my best efforts relative to those of my classmates. SOUNDS FAIR 2 ME, right?

Good luck errbody!

I'm with you, TG.

All I want to know is why I'm reading about the sale of a fucking cow in Wayne County, MI in 1887 at 2am on a Thursday morning. I guess it's because I'm on panel in my Contracts class starting in 7 hours.

But I know when this is all over, I'm going to feel good about the effort I put in, whether I'm rewarded or not. As hard as this is, it beats the hell out of actual work.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:05 am

JCougar wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I'm somehow still loving this law school thing, even with exams in 2.5 weeks. The challenge is exhilarating and the general 1L mania is hilarious. It's hard, sure -- but this isn't WWIII.

Good luck errbody!

I'm with you, TG.

All I want to know is why I'm reading about the sale of a fucking cow in Wayne County, MI in 1887 at 2am on a Thursday morning. I guess it's because I'm on panel in my Contracts class starting in 7 hours.

But I know when this is all over, I'm going to feel good about the effort I put in, whether I'm rewarded or not. As hard as this is, it beats the hell out of actual work.

Rose 2d of Aragon is a fine bess.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:07 am

19 days until my first final, it's 3am, i'm memorizing rule 26(b)(3), really wishing I had started outlining earlier.

AsianCurveKiller

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:08 am

2AM and just brewed a full pot of coffee. And the memo isn't even due till next week. FML.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:13 am

AsianCurveKiller wrote:2AM and just brewed a full pot of coffee. And the memo isn't even due till next week. FML.

Dude, turn the memo in ASAP. For the first time in my life, thanks to the memo, I turned a paper in early. I submitted it a full week early b/c I knew it would burn waaaay too much time on it later...time better spent studying. Already got it back which will allow me to have all my Dec 1st materials ready far in advance.

Seriously, I would say drop whatever you're doing tomorrow and finish the memo. Turn it in before the weekend if you can.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 pm

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I have been afraid, but I'm almost done with my memo (only need to recheck citations) and now plan on focusing on practice exams exclusively for the next 16 day..and a feeling of odd calm has started to descend on me..I feel that my brain has accepted that I'm either gunna be in the top 10% or below median.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Good luck errbody!

+1

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:56 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I have been afraid, but I'm almost done with my memo (only need to recheck citations) and now plan on focusing on practice exams exclusively for the next 16 day..and a feeling of odd calm has started to descend on me..I feel that my brain has accepted that I'm either gunna be in the top 10% or below median.

To be fair, there's statistically about a 60% chance that you're right ;)

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:51 am

K outline complete. Too bad it's ungodly long. 86 pages. It's not like I can't be parsimonious. Torts and CivPro are 20-30 pages.

It's just that there is so damn much to contracts.

Just three more weeks.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:18 am

I feel like I'm getting sick..I think it was this woman who was sitting three desks away and coughing up a lung. like a true gunner, I suck it out and zoned her out..looks like it might just have been the ultimate sabotage planzs. . .

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:33 am

missinglink wrote:K outline complete. Too bad it's ungodly long. 86 pages. It's not like I can't be parsimonious. Torts and CivPro are 20-30 pages.

Just three more weeks.

My K outline is by far the shortest (18 pages). However, every line is loaded with black letter law. Others are in the 30-40 page range.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 pm

missinglink wrote:K outline complete. Too bad it's ungodly long. 86 pages. It's not like I can't be parsimonious. Torts and CivPro are 20-30 pages.

Just three more weeks.

How are you outlining? Are you still summarizing every case? That doesn't seem helpful at all. I don't think I have close to 86 pages of class notes in any class, never mind an 86 page outline. I have 3 outlines for Ks -- A general outline, an outline of relevant Restatement and UCC provisions (my professor LOVES the Restatement), and a topics checklist, and all 3 come in under 20 pages (even with overlap). I just can't imagine what could be going on for 86 pages of outlining for any class.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Come exam time, using each of the concepts that should be on your outline should be instinctual, and all you should really be referencing during the exam is a bare-bones 3-5 page outline and your 1-page checklist to make sure you're not missing any issues. And maybe a brief list of relevant restatement or UCC sections.

My contracts outline is about 40 pages so far, but it still includes mini-summaries for the cases. But this outline is strictly for studying purposes and getting the concepts fluid in my head. I'm going to majorly condense that into something no greater than 5-6 pages come exam time, and use a 1-page checklist. You don't have time to look through 80...or even 20 pages during the exam.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Huh. That's cool. When I went to a Lexis training session, they gave us free flash drives. I never bothered to plug it in until now. It has outlines for classes on it.

That's pretty nifty.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:50 pm

kalvano wrote:Huh. That's cool. When I went to a Lexis training session, they gave us free flash drives. I never bothered to plug it in until now. It has outlines for classes on it.

That's pretty nifty.
I have one of those lying around somewhere, too. Have you checked the quality of the outlines? I won't even bother looking at the crim and civ pro ones, but I could definitely see myself poaching massive amounts of a prepared contract outline if it's good.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:57 pm

clintonius wrote:
kalvano wrote:Huh. That's cool. When I went to a Lexis training session, they gave us free flash drives. I never bothered to plug it in until now. It has outlines for classes on it.

That's pretty nifty.
I have one of those lying around somewhere, too. Have you checked the quality of the outlines? I won't even bother looking at the crim and civ pro ones, but I could definitely see myself poaching massive amounts of a prepared contract outline if it's good.

They seem OK. Cases will obviously differ, but the basic info looks good, even on the Crim and Civ Pro.

I wouldn't use them as the main basis for my outline, but I would definitely pull some stuff from them.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm

God bless the CALI lessons for Property.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I thought I finish my contracts outline this morning (after working on it for a week) only to realize that I left out condition contracts. I'm never gonna be done outlining. This sucks! I also think my order is loopy.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 am

GeePee wrote:

Just three more weeks.

How are you outlining? Are you still summarizing every case? That doesn't seem helpful at all. I don't think I have close to 86 pages of class notes in any class, never mind an 86 page outline. I have 3 outlines for Ks -- A general outline, an outline of relevant Restatement and UCC provisions (my professor LOVES the Restatement), and a topics checklist, and all 3 come in under 20 pages (even with overlap). I just can't imagine what could be going on for 86 pages of outlining for any class.

I make generous use of frames and pretty formating stuff to make it readable. Once I cut out the crap, it will be shorter. Our prof is pretty big on using the "magic words" though, so I have to include a lot of those words from the Restatement and UCC. And a lot of those words are actually unnecessarily long phrases.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 am

That's pretty nifty.

Yeah, I use those documents more than I do the actual storage capacity.

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Does anyone else notice the amount of study groups around them? That's all I hear around me, diff. ppl in diff study groups, scheduling diff. times to meet...

I admit, I kind of feel like a badass going at this alone. Nearly everyone in my small section is in a study group. I refuse to participate.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”