Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blerg

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?

I'm super visual and have a semi-photographic memory. Everything is in a flowchart that jogs my memory about what the prof said in class. I know this is weird, but if I just stick in a little of her language, I can see her in the room and remember her phrasing.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 pm

blerg wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?

I'm super visual and have a semi-photographic memory. Everything is in a flowchart that jogs my memory about what the prof said in class. I know this is weird, but if I just stick in a little of her language, I can see her in the room and remember her phrasing.

We'll your memory works differently than everyone else. So we might be skeptical, but what works for you, works.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 pm

blerg wrote:Can someone reassure me that my outlines aren't too short?

Smallest 3 pages (Civ Pro: PJ/SMJ/Venue only) and the longest is Crim, 9 pages, and it's our only final. I feel like I have all the necessary information and everything is closed book, but my classmates have outlines that may as well be commercial supplements.

What can possibly be in there?

I can't possibly imagine

1. Only covering PJ/SMJ/Venue in an entire semester
2. fitting all of PJ, SMJ and Venue onto 3 pages of notes and containing all the relevant information
3. an entire semesters worth of class into 3 pages

do you have like a 2 column, 8 font, checklist or something?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 pm

forget that, i'm in utter disbelief that all that's been covered in that class is PJ, SMJ, and Venue.

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:

Smallest 3 pages (Civ Pro: PJ/SMJ/Venue only) and the longest is Crim, 9 pages, and it's our only final. I feel like I have all the necessary information and everything is closed book, but my classmates have outlines that may as well be commercial supplements.

I can't possibly imagine

2. fitting all of PJ, SMJ and Venue onto 3 pages of notes and containing all the relevant information

Pretty much. It's all 8pt flowchart.

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 pm

dailygrind wrote:

forget that, i'm in utter disbelief that all that's been covered in that class is PJ, SMJ, and Venue.

We discussed domicile and intent to remain for about 2.5 weeks.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 pm

blerg wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

I can't possibly imagine

Pretty much. It's all 8pt flowchart.

Well I can see that then . . . but if you've really only covered those 3 topics in 15 weeks, surely your analysis must be so freaking in depth that there has to be more. I feel like I'm missing something. Do you only meet for like 90 minutes a week or something?

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 pm

100, but yeah. She's given us a lot of little policy ideas, which are all neatly condensed in there.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am

blerg wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

jesus. we went over that in a like a day, maybe two. well, i guess we all take our tests according to the constraints given us. godspeed, sir.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am

dailygrind wrote:

Well he said he takes the second half next semester. It seems like hes taking Property, Crim, Civ Pro, Torts and K's all at once.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 am

ah. that'd probably affect the amount of work that could reasonably be done in a week.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am

Well, a common strategy, and one that I am employing, is to create a "long outline" and then distill that into a "short outline" that you actually use to study. The of rendering a large quantity of information down into a smaller outline helps you fix the knowledge in your mind by the conscious act of deciding what's important and what's not.

My long property outline is something like 15,000 words and forty pages, but my short outline is turning out to be five at the most.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:46 am

dailygrind wrote:
blerg wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

jesus. we went over that in a like a day, maybe two. well, i guess we all take our tests according to the constraints given us. godspeed, sir.

A day or two? Jeez. Try 1/2 a class.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 am

We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Kinda regret not taking a year off mainly because I'd rather be playing video games than reviewing personal jurisdiciton

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:04 pm

JCougar wrote:We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.

:lol: This is funny. Really interested in knowing who this is. PM me or tell me next time I see you on campus.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.

:lol: This is funny. Really interested in knowing who this is. PM me or tell me next time I see you on campus.

I'll tell you tomorrow if I see you at lunch. But I can say one thing. The answer probably won't surprise you.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:57 pm

If you're meeting w/ Romo, then you're a WUSTL student as well. And if you both are in the same section... well... this would be a bit too ironic if the girl is who I think it is and the prof is who I think it is.

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:11 am

Haha me and JCougar are in the same big section. I wish I could of been there to see it/I wish Property and Torts were the same way.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 am

Melkaba wrote:

If you're meeting w/ Romo, then you're a WUSTL student as well. And if you both are in the same section... well... this would be a bit too ironic if the girl is who I think it is and the prof is who I think it is.

I'm not in Romo's section, but I think motedust probably knows who it is.

There's one in motedust's small section (our combined one) that asks like two questions a day. He raised his hand and started asking his own hypothetical in class, and Torts Prof. was like "wait a minute, did you just bring up your own hypothetical in my class?!? Not gonna happen."

All-in-all, though, there's not too many gunners at WUSTL. Reading TLS made me think things would be much worse.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:32 am

WUSTL gunner fest ITT.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 am

romothesavior wrote:WUSTL gunner fest ITT.

I'm just procrastinating from writing my memo. My mind is numb from this week already. Getting this thing out of the way will be huge.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:40 am

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:WUSTL gunner fest ITT.

I'm just procrastinating from writing my memo. My mind is numb from this week already. Getting this thing out of the way will be huge.

Was supposed to meet with my TA tomorrow to talk about it, but I'm pushing it back to Friday. I planned on working on my memo this afternoon but I was making good progress in property and didn't feel like stopping. LP is such a time suck...

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 am

I'm just going to step in here before this whole page gets WUSTL'ed. Glad to know you guys are having fun, though.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I'm just going to step in here before this whole page gets WUSTL'ed. Glad to know you guys are having fun, though.

:lol: Always.

Melkaba, I am curious to find out who you are. I know who mote and JCoug are (as well as just about every other WUSTLer on TLS). If you ever seen someone TLSing in class (especially prop), its me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”