Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
blerg
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?


I'm super visual and have a semi-photographic memory. Everything is in a flowchart that jogs my memory about what the prof said in class. I know this is weird, but if I just stick in a little of her language, I can see her in the room and remember her phrasing.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 pm

blerg wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?


I'm super visual and have a semi-photographic memory. Everything is in a flowchart that jogs my memory about what the prof said in class. I know this is weird, but if I just stick in a little of her language, I can see her in the room and remember her phrasing.


We'll your memory works differently than everyone else. So we might be skeptical, but what works for you, works.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 pm

blerg wrote:Can someone reassure me that my outlines aren't too short?

Smallest 3 pages (Civ Pro: PJ/SMJ/Venue only) and the longest is Crim, 9 pages, and it's our only final. I feel like I have all the necessary information and everything is closed book, but my classmates have outlines that may as well be commercial supplements.

What can possibly be in there?

I can't possibly imagine

1. Only covering PJ/SMJ/Venue in an entire semester
2. fitting all of PJ, SMJ and Venue onto 3 pages of notes and containing all the relevant information
3. an entire semesters worth of class into 3 pages

do you have like a 2 column, 8 font, checklist or something?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby dailygrind » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?


forget that, i'm in utter disbelief that all that's been covered in that class is PJ, SMJ, and Venue.

User avatar
blerg
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
blerg wrote:Can someone reassure me that my outlines aren't too short?

Smallest 3 pages (Civ Pro: PJ/SMJ/Venue only) and the longest is Crim, 9 pages, and it's our only final. I feel like I have all the necessary information and everything is closed book, but my classmates have outlines that may as well be commercial supplements.

What can possibly be in there?

I can't possibly imagine

1. Only covering PJ/SMJ/Venue in an entire semester
2. fitting all of PJ, SMJ and Venue onto 3 pages of notes and containing all the relevant information
3. an entire semesters worth of class into 3 pages

do you have like a 2 column, 8 font, checklist or something?


Pretty much. It's all 8pt flowchart.

User avatar
blerg
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?


forget that, i'm in utter disbelief that all that's been covered in that class is PJ, SMJ, and Venue.


We discussed domicile and intent to remain for about 2.5 weeks.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 pm

blerg wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
blerg wrote:Can someone reassure me that my outlines aren't too short?

Smallest 3 pages (Civ Pro: PJ/SMJ/Venue only) and the longest is Crim, 9 pages, and it's our only final. I feel like I have all the necessary information and everything is closed book, but my classmates have outlines that may as well be commercial supplements.

What can possibly be in there?

I can't possibly imagine

1. Only covering PJ/SMJ/Venue in an entire semester
2. fitting all of PJ, SMJ and Venue onto 3 pages of notes and containing all the relevant information
3. an entire semesters worth of class into 3 pages

do you have like a 2 column, 8 font, checklist or something?


Pretty much. It's all 8pt flowchart.



Well I can see that then . . . but if you've really only covered those 3 topics in 15 weeks, surely your analysis must be so freaking in depth that there has to be more. I feel like I'm missing something. Do you only meet for like 90 minutes a week or something?

User avatar
blerg
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 pm

100, but yeah. She's given us a lot of little policy ideas, which are all neatly condensed in there.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby dailygrind » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am

blerg wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?


forget that, i'm in utter disbelief that all that's been covered in that class is PJ, SMJ, and Venue.


We discussed domicile and intent to remain for about 2.5 weeks.


jesus. we went over that in a like a day, maybe two. well, i guess we all take our tests according to the constraints given us. godspeed, sir.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am

dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?


forget that, i'm in utter disbelief that all that's been covered in that class is PJ, SMJ, and Venue.


Well he said he takes the second half next semester. It seems like hes taking Property, Crim, Civ Pro, Torts and K's all at once.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby dailygrind » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 am

ah. that'd probably affect the amount of work that could reasonably be done in a week.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am

blerg wrote:Can someone reassure me that my outlines aren't too short?

Smallest 3 pages (Civ Pro: PJ/SMJ/Venue only) and the longest is Crim, 9 pages, and it's our only final. I feel like I have all the necessary information and everything is closed book, but my classmates have outlines that may as well be commercial supplements.

What can possibly be in there?


Well, a common strategy, and one that I am employing, is to create a "long outline" and then distill that into a "short outline" that you actually use to study. The of rendering a large quantity of information down into a smaller outline helps you fix the knowledge in your mind by the conscious act of deciding what's important and what's not.

My long property outline is something like 15,000 words and forty pages, but my short outline is turning out to be five at the most.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby danidancer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:46 am

dailygrind wrote:
blerg wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see how you can do PJ, SMJ, and Venue in three pages. But if you really have everything who cares what everyone else says. Have you tried taking practice finals?


forget that, i'm in utter disbelief that all that's been covered in that class is PJ, SMJ, and Venue.


We discussed domicile and intent to remain for about 2.5 weeks.


jesus. we went over that in a like a day, maybe two. well, i guess we all take our tests according to the constraints given us. godspeed, sir.


A day or two? Jeez. Try 1/2 a class.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby JCougar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 am

We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Kinda regret not taking a year off mainly because I'd rather be playing video games than reviewing personal jurisdiciton

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:04 pm

JCougar wrote:We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.

:lol: This is funny. Really interested in knowing who this is. PM me or tell me next time I see you on campus.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby JCougar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.

:lol: This is funny. Really interested in knowing who this is. PM me or tell me next time I see you on campus.


I'll tell you tomorrow if I see you at lunch. But I can say one thing. The answer probably won't surprise you.

Melkaba
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Melkaba » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:57 pm

JCougar wrote:We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.


If you're meeting w/ Romo, then you're a WUSTL student as well. And if you both are in the same section... well... this would be a bit too ironic if the girl is who I think it is and the prof is who I think it is.

User avatar
motedust
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby motedust » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:11 am

Haha me and JCougar are in the same big section. I wish I could of been there to see it/I wish Property and Torts were the same way.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby JCougar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 am

Melkaba wrote:
JCougar wrote:We have a girl in our section that asks so many pointless questions that she's been banned from asking anymore questions for a week. She tried to ask one anyway, but the Professor had to remind her that she was banned. I don't think she thought he was serious.


If you're meeting w/ Romo, then you're a WUSTL student as well. And if you both are in the same section... well... this would be a bit too ironic if the girl is who I think it is and the prof is who I think it is.


I'm not in Romo's section, but I think motedust probably knows who it is.

There's one in motedust's small section (our combined one) that asks like two questions a day. He raised his hand and started asking his own hypothetical in class, and Torts Prof. was like "wait a minute, did you just bring up your own hypothetical in my class?!? Not gonna happen."

All-in-all, though, there's not too many gunners at WUSTL. Reading TLS made me think things would be much worse.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:32 am

WUSTL gunner fest ITT.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby JCougar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 am

romothesavior wrote:WUSTL gunner fest ITT.


I'm just procrastinating from writing my memo. My mind is numb from this week already. Getting this thing out of the way will be huge.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:40 am

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:WUSTL gunner fest ITT.


I'm just procrastinating from writing my memo. My mind is numb from this week already. Getting this thing out of the way will be huge.

Was supposed to meet with my TA tomorrow to talk about it, but I'm pushing it back to Friday. I planned on working on my memo this afternoon but I was making good progress in property and didn't feel like stopping. LP is such a time suck...

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 am

I'm just going to step in here before this whole page gets WUSTL'ed. Glad to know you guys are having fun, though.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I'm just going to step in here before this whole page gets WUSTL'ed. Glad to know you guys are having fun, though.

:lol: Always.

Melkaba, I am curious to find out who you are. I know who mote and JCoug are (as well as just about every other WUSTLer on TLS). If you ever seen someone TLSing in class (especially prop), its me.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests